View Full Version : Lamotragine

JustfixME
03-20-16, 11:59 AM
Has anybody taken this? Through intensive neurological testing I been asked several times if anybody in my family is bipolar. I don't have a clue, but since citalopram has not been helping, doc put me on this. It's actually an anti convulsive which has shown to work in bipolars'.

sarahsweets
03-20-16, 01:35 PM
It is usually used as a mood stabilizer and works best in conjunction with antidepressants. I am BPII and its been a life saver for me however I do know some people who are not bipolar that get relief from it.

majestic walrus
03-21-16, 11:09 AM
Lamotrigine helps with depression. It's not an "antidepressant" per se, but it can certainly act like one, which is probably why your doc wants you on it.

I'm taking Lamotrigine as a mood stabilizer and because it helps with depression. :)

Usually if you're bipolar, antidepressants: (a) make your depression worse, (b) cause a mixed state, or (c) cause hypomania. So if an antidepressant has done one of those 3 things to you, there's a chance you're bipolar. (It doesn't necessarily mean you are, though.)

JustfixME
04-06-16, 11:40 AM
Ok makes sense, Thanks

InvitroCanibal
04-27-16, 01:46 AM
It basically slows down the switching of moods as well as it seems to dampen it. So that anxiety isn't as unbearable and depression isn't either.

That is my experience with it, anyways.