View Full Version : what tv show do you guys watch?

acdc01
03-20-16, 12:49 PM
For me it's Once upon a Time, Orphan Black, Blackish, the Americans, Empire, Lucifer, Orange is the New Black, and The Magicians

I seem to like a lot of fantasy shows. Sounds like a lot of shows but only between 2-4 shows are ever on at the same time.

Hermus
03-20-16, 12:55 PM
South Park, Family Guy, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy (unfortunately the last two are finished), Game of Thrones, Narcos

anonymouslyadd
03-20-16, 12:55 PM
The Big Bang Theory.

ginniebean
03-20-16, 01:04 PM
The walking dead, also have the comics

aeon
03-20-16, 01:16 PM
Partially due to apathy, and primarily for want to do other things with my time,
I have not plugged in my television since I moved into this apartment, and that
has been about a year. So my answers will be a bit older, and perhaps just a list
of all-time faves.

Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Six Feet Under
Homeland
The Walking Dead
The Wire
The Sopranos
Damages
Fringe
Luther
Justified
Sons of Anarchy
Family Guy
True Detective
The Americans
Hannibal
Downton Abbey
It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Doc Martin
Murdoch Mysteries

Certain of those are favorites of my favorites, and if you get me talking,
I will become excited and want to discuss all manner of things about the
episodes, seasons, and shows overall.

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
03-20-16, 01:17 PM
I might be alone in this but I'm not a huge fan of tv. It used to take hours away from my days and also would give me nightmares. I quit watching it for several years. I also find the commercials to be not good for my mental health and can make me feel bad about myself. ("You need this!! Your life would be better with this!! You aren't beautiful unless you have this product!!") Also, to some extent it feels like mind-control for me - like the commercials and stuff. I feel like they are pumping subliminal messages into my mind and urging me to believe what everyone else believes/go with the crowd.

Now, if I ever do watch TV, usually it is one of the shows I grew up with. Or a cool documentary if it is on - in fact just watched Blackfish yesterday. My two favorite shows ever would probably be Monk and Fringe. I feel no need to begin watching new shows, and most don't seem very appealing to me anyway. I seem to get "stuck" with things from the past and feel perfectly happy sticking with my "favorites." I like to know what is going to happen, what to expect, and for the type of content to be generally predictable. I must sound so boring, but it makes me happy. :) I have lots of C-PTSD triggers too so that's another reason I don't watch new shows. Never know if they will pop up. Plus, introducing a new show might have bad mental health effects for me.

Well, don't know why I felt the need to spill and be honest about something that most people think is strange, maybe I needed to let it out or something.

aeon
03-20-16, 01:24 PM
Well, don't know why I felt the need to spill and be honest about something that most people think is strange, maybe I needed to let it out or something.

Glad you did, and if people have a problem with that, they can go **** themselves. PTSD, complex and otherwise, is a tragedy by any measure when it is born of interpersonal trauma. A little accommodation toward your well-being is compassionate and caring.

Anyway, I think youíre rather special, and to me, thatís all that matters.

So, wanna start rewatching Fringe together? ;)

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
03-20-16, 01:35 PM
Glad you did, and if people have a problem with that, they can go **** themselves. PTSD, complex and otherwise, is a tragedy by any measure when it is born of interpersonal trauma. A little accommodation toward your well-being is compassionate and caring.

Anyway, I think youíre rather special, and to me, thatís all that matters.

So, wanna start rewatching Fringe together? ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Thank you for the kind words and supportive feedback.

Means a lot.

Haha, well, first I need to actually HAVE Fringe. :p Miss the days when it could be watched online through Fox.

Unmanagable
03-20-16, 01:40 PM
I rarely turn it on and am in agreement with a lot of what Bella mentioned regarding how I feel about it, overall. I feel it's called programming for a reason.

When I do watch it, it's typically an attempt to try to interact with others who tend to love it by sharing space with them in watching what they enjoy, or to purposely share time watching something old school, nature related, music related, or educational.

I have no patience to sit and surf television, but can surf the s*** out of the internet. Once in a while, I'll totally veg out to a lifetime movie or an old western. But rarely do I ever make it to the end because of all the damn commercials.

I used to dig the crime shows, but they're too dramatic and gory as of late, so I pass. Ever notice how much stuff in the entertainment arena is emergency based?

I either mute it during each commercial or flip it to music in between commercials, too. They evoke physical pain in having to sit through them and there are food triggers galore, and the music can often get me motivated to do something other than watch tv.

Simargl
03-20-16, 01:43 PM
Right now...

Daredevil
Gotham
Walking Dead
and Game of Thrones when it starts up again (:

stef
03-20-16, 01:45 PM
recently, lots of soccer!
we dont have netflix or all of the cable so ive missed lots of recent stuff ( walking dead, orange is the new black, etc)
i still love seinfeld, we have all the dvds
criminal minds
the law and order with vincent onofrio
big bang theory
SNL ( iys on here now, one week later!)
i really liked under the Dome even though it got kind of out of hand!

Fuzzy12
03-20-16, 01:48 PM
I love British or sometimes Scandinavian (if they aren't too disturbing) murder mysteries. My favourite is probably midsomer murders.

Apart from that I like stand up comedy.

I quite like big bang theory as well and I watch game of thrones when it's running though it's starting to bore me. I can't sustain my interest during the long breaks.

And I love quiz programs.

stef
03-20-16, 02:08 PM
i totally see the sensory things with tv
but from an opposite side cause i find the light and images of tv to be really soothing and comforting even if im not even following the show

aeon
03-20-16, 02:14 PM
I love British or sometimes Scandinavian (if they aren't too disturbing) murder mysteries. My favourite is probably midsomer murders.

:yes: http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Love2.gif

Cheers,
Ian

midnightstar
03-20-16, 02:18 PM
I tend not to have the TV switched on, only reason I'm switching it on tonight is in 2 hours time there's the last of a series of cat programmes which have been very interesting :)

Midsummer murders scares the crap out of me so I don't watch it :faint:

idk how there's anyone left alive in midsummer murders anyways if everyone's getting killed off every episode :scratch:

TurtleBrain
03-20-16, 04:20 PM
Youtube gamplay videos literally replaced TV for me ever since I moved to a small city that has no TV reception unless you have a huge outdoor antennae or cable. I don't have either, so I just stick to youtube.

What did I use to watch? A variety of cartoons, sitcoms, and dramas (usually scifi/fantasy) that I could find without cable.

I grew up in the 90s watching PBS and KidsWB (the latter was moved to cartoon network, since the WB and UPN was replaced by The CW).
Sure, I also watched some of the cartoons on Fox as well, but that came later (along with watching sitcoms and dramas on other TV networks here in the U.S.)
I did have cable for a short time, and when I did, I used to binge on nickelodeon cartoons that I've always wanted to see, such as Jimmy Neutron.

By the way, I was a big loyal fan of Heroes, even after the show went down hill after the first season. I even watched Heroes Reborn. Sure, it was a bit frustrating to watch at times, but the finale was worth it, at least for me anyway.

anonymouslyadd
03-20-16, 04:27 PM
I might be alone in this but I'm not a huge fan of tv. It used to take hours away from my days and also would give me nightmares. I quit watching it for several years. I also find the commercials to be not good for my mental health and can make me feel bad about myself. ("You need this!! Your life would be better with this!! You aren't beautiful unless you have this product!!") Also, to some extent it feels like mind-control for me - like the commercials and stuff. I feel like they are pumping subliminal messages into my mind and urging me to believe what everyone else believes/go with the crowd.

Now, if I ever do watch TV, usually it is one of the shows I grew up with. Or a cool documentary if it is on - in fact just watched Blackfish yesterday. My two favorite shows ever would probably be Monk and Fringe. I feel no need to begin watching new shows, and most don't seem very appealing to me anyway. I seem to get "stuck" with things from the past and feel perfectly happy sticking with my "favorites." I like to know what is going to happen, what to expect, and for the type of content to be generally predictable. I must sound so boring, but it makes me happy. :) I have lots of C-PTSD triggers too so that's another reason I don't watch new shows. Never know if they will pop up. Plus, introducing a new show might have bad mental health effects for me.

I don't own a TV and can watch my show when I'm at a motel on the road. I used to spend way too much time watching TV.

Fuzzy12
03-20-16, 05:42 PM
I tend not to have the TV switched on, only reason I'm switching it on tonight is in 2 hours time there's the last of a series of cat programmes which have been very interesting :)

Midsummer murders scares the crap out of me so I don't watch it :faint:

idk how there's anyone left alive in midsummer murders anyways if everyone's getting killed off every episode :scratch:

I took me a while to get over the opening credits music. It's so creepy.

The average murder count is 3 per episodes:lol:...I read a piece where someone from the police commented that if they allowed 3 murders to happen in so many cases they'd get fired. :scratch:

stef
03-20-16, 05:48 PM
If there were actually as many crimes in the UK as in all the fiction there would be a lot fewer people around!

acdc01
03-20-16, 06:01 PM
I'm surprised by the variety of tv shows people watch here. And interestingly not one person has mentioned any reality tv shows (don't count quiz shows) when I think their ratings are really high.

I'm actually starting to watch more youtube too turtlebrain. I like this primitive channel where the guy builds houses and stuff out in the wilderness out of absolutely nothing (he made his own stone ax to build stuff with). And I search for cooking recipes now and I watch a comedy channel.

DJ Bill
03-20-16, 06:20 PM
I've got a pre digital TV hooked up to a DVD player and watch movies from the Goodwill store or yard sales. When I was on the road, I tended to watch antiques road show, Gas Monkey Garage, and other car stuff. This old house is cool too. I watched the storage war junk until I got sick of the fake stuff. But honestly, when I am in a hotel room, the chances of me watching anything to the end or past the next commercial break is zero. I just keep on clicking through the channels and try to go back to the shows I was watching eventually. Usually they are all done by the time I remember I was watching them.

At home in TX, I had a tv that would run all the time when I was in the house, but I only paid attention to the news and the weather forecast, if I wasn't zoning out halfway through it.

BellaVita
03-20-16, 06:23 PM
I'm surprised by the variety of tv shows people watch here. And interestingly not one person has mentioned any reality tv shows (don't count quiz shows) when I think their ratings are really high.

I'm actually starting to watch more youtube too turtlebrain. I like this primitive channel where the guy builds houses and stuff out in the wilderness out of absolutely nothing (he made his own stone ax to build stuff with). And I search for cooking recipes now and I watch a comedy channel.

I enjoy YouTube too.

Lately I've been watching the channel Kurzgesagt - In a Nutshell - this is a lot of stuff I didn't get to learn in school because I went to private religious schools all my life. So I'm soaking up this information.

Also the channel called CrashCourse - specifically the philosophy videos.

And also videos about consciousness because I've been into that lately.

Some pretty neat stuff on that website. :)

Little Missy
03-20-16, 06:54 PM
If there were actually as many crimes in the UK as in all the fiction there would be a lot fewer people around!

REALLY. And they always have real natty duds and groovy wheels on some estate.

aeon
03-20-16, 07:07 PM
If I do want to watch in-that-moment video and not listen to the stereo, it’s YouTube all the way.

FFS, nothing on broadcast could ever hope to be as interesting or entertaining as YouTube...not even close.

Cheers,
Ian

PolaBear
03-20-16, 09:15 PM
Interesting how earlier poster said about TV pushing messages, Watching the news or any political type thing I just think gives a message if everything is bad and false, don't do anything, and is filled with fear and hopelessness.

Anyway, I watch Empire, Gotham, Impractical Jokersas regular programs, but at other times watched way too much TV, probably as it is stimulus. Used to watch Comedy Central (two and a half men, Frazier, everybody loves Raymond, king of queens) more or less all day, liked Cheers also. The Sopranos was great, Mad Men I liked and Breaking Bad. Watch loads of sports too.

TheGreatKing
03-20-16, 09:16 PM
Doctor who!

TheGreatKing
04-01-16, 03:05 PM
prison break

daveddd
04-01-16, 04:29 PM
big bang and bates motel are the only new ones i keep up with

my dvr is filled with reruns in case i feel like watching TV mostly seinfeld , king of the hill , and family guy

stef
04-01-16, 05:42 PM
when i'm in the states i'm hopelessly addicted to TLC