View Full Version : going to NYC . . . . .

livinginchaos
05-10-05, 08:23 PM
I'm taking a vacation in NYC (my sister lives there) for 5 days.

I'm looking for suggestions from people who live in NYC or who have visited there.

Anything I really really have to do? Anything I should skip doing??

I'm so excited . . . can't wait to go!!! :D

stevo
05-10-05, 10:38 PM
Central Park
Museum of Natural History
Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)
Whitney Art Museum
Guggenheim
Chinatown
You might like shopping at Bloomingdales or visiting Times Square (at night)
Ride the subway
Try all different types of restaurants
Central Park
Personally, I wouldn't go to the Statue of Liberty. The whole process seems to take up the whole day. It's interesting and all, but there are so many other things to do. I also wouldn't go to the site of the World Trade Center, unless you just wanted to say a prayer.

You might also consider visiting Brooklyn. Brooklyn has a completely different feel than Manhatten. Park Slope has some great restaurants and shops on 5th and 7th avenue. That neighborhood is full of interesting single family brownstones also. It's a nice, hip neighborhood to to walk around. From Park Slope you could walk through Prospect Park or head over to Brooklyn Heights. It has a great place to walk (the promenade). It's alongside the river and provides a spectacular view of the Manhatten skyline. That puts you fairly close to the Brooklyn Bridge, which you can walk over into Manhatten.

Get a good map, and maybe a little compass, and just start walking. Be prepared to do A LOT of walking. Wear very comfortable walking shoes! Be prepared for any changes in the weather. Maybe a little backpack. You're in for a feast of impressions. The City is awesome. Have fun.

Deeperblue
05-11-05, 12:07 AM
take a side trip to the bronx zoo, then cross the street and spend some time at the botanical gardens.

take a ferry ride to the jersey side...

how 'bout soho

have a nice vacation.

auntchris
05-11-05, 12:10 AM
Have fun . I have never been there
Come back and tell about it .

casper
05-11-05, 12:50 AM
Go to the sex museum. It really was quite interesting...not all that u would think it would be.

Be sure to go out to one good meal.....Mario Baltalis place, or Anthony Bourdains..

ashley
05-11-05, 12:54 AM
I've been twice. Must do's:

Wear or bring comfortable shoes and taxi money
Central Park
Museum of Natural History
Dirty water dog
In the morning, get in line for theater tickets for that night--they're half off. There's two places, one by the stock exchange (I don't remember where, exactly) and one in Time Square. 'Rent' was life altering.

Must haves when flying:
Your own bottled water and 2 snacks
gum
I bring a small pillow with me--those airline ones are DISGUSTING

Have a great time!!

Deeperblue
05-11-05, 07:18 AM
oh, and maybe a day trip to the Jersey shore. or a beach somewhere, especially if you don't get to see one often.

and an amusement park...;)

livinginchaos
05-11-05, 09:42 PM
Thanks to all of you! I really appreciate all the suggestions.

ashley - I've seen RENT 6 times, it is life altering. What is dirty water dog?

stevo - Thanks for the advice on the Statue of Liberty. This probably sounds bad, but I really don't want to go to Ellis Island to see it. I'll be happy to see it from afar. I think I will skip the World Trade Center as well. I think I would want to go if I had seen it, in person, before it was savagely destroyed. Thanks for the advice with your last paragraph. I already have a great map of NYC and the subway map.

deeperblue - I didn't think of any of those! Thanks! any particular amusement parks? I will actually be staying in Jersey City.

casper - the sex museum? Sounds interesting.

auntchris - this is my first visit! I'm counting down the hours! only 38.

Deeperblue
05-12-05, 08:02 AM
depends when you are coming. the shore season is beginning to open. And the rides and consessions on the boardwalk are as well.

The most likely park would be Seaside Park. GREEEEAAAT rides and lots of fun right there on the ocean. or you might go to Pt. Pleasant for a more family oriented spot.

Anyway, You might spend the day on the beach and then hang on the boardwalk later on. :p