View Full Version : Stress busters

Fuzzy12
03-22-16, 05:28 PM
Just lost the post I wrote. How annoying. Anyway it helped writing it down and I need something to remind me so here we go again:

I need to reduce my stress levels. The things I can think of:

1. Regular daily exercise
2. Listening to my videos to keep me stimulated and distracted from worries.
3. Dealing with stressors immediately if possible (eg making a call immediately rather than fretting about it for days )
4. Pl p (if I can stop wasting time by being more efficient at work and going there on time. )
5. MindfulNess. I know it helps I just don't manage to do it

Anything else?

aeon
03-22-16, 07:18 PM
good sleep hygiene
satisfying sexual activity
benzodiazepines
ethanol
interaction with a receptive animal
listening to music you enjoy
warm bath

Two of the above are 100% guaranteed to work in the human animal,
but I would advise against both for the task at hand, and save them
for use in the event other options have proven unworkable and/or futile.

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
03-22-16, 07:50 PM
You listed some pretty great ones Fuzzy.

Ones I've found that help me(besides some of the good ones you listed):
-Playing with a dog (Loua) outside in the warm sun
-Playing with a puppy (puppies never fail to put a smile on my face)
-Eating real chocolate, like sea salt dark chocolate.
-Having a warm cup of hot chocolate or tea

Fuzzy12
03-22-16, 08:47 PM
good sleep hygiene
satisfying sexual activity
benzodiazepines
ethanol
interaction with a receptive animal
listening to music you enjoy
warm bath

Two of the above are 100% guaranteed to work in the human animal,
but I would advise against both for the task at hand, and save them
for use in the event other options have proven unworkable and/or futile.

Cheers,
Ian

Benzos and alcohol? Anyway both are out of the question at the moment. :scratch:

Unmanagable
03-22-16, 08:52 PM
Deep breathing techniques - diaphragmatic breathing, especially
Valerian root tea with ginger and lemon, or lime, or honey
Nature and sunshine
Music that fits the mood or lifts it
Affirmations that deeply resonate
Loving kindness towards self, on purpose as a priority, not just if you happen to manage to fit it in

TheGreatKing
03-22-16, 09:23 PM
one real big thing is laughing don't forget that folks :D
Get yourself laughing some how and you will reap the benefits :)

aeon
03-22-16, 10:09 PM
Benzos and alcohol? Anyway both are out of the question at the moment. :scratch:

Yep, they work, guaranteed.

And yes, both are out of the question at the moment.

Hence my note.

And I suppose I answered your question in the best way I knew how.

Which is, like the rest of me, at times irritating and socially awkward.

Sorry,
Ian

psychopathetic
03-22-16, 10:48 PM
You can have my mom.

She's real relaxing.

/ships fuzz fuzz his mother.

Okay, so I have a confession.
I lied.
But go ahead and keep her anyway will ya?

Simargl
03-22-16, 11:10 PM
Yoga/Meditation
Proper hydration

I would list more but I'm drawing a blank right now. I don't have anything else to add that hasn't already been said.

However, I will elaborate a little on my suggestions-- Yoga will help you practice mindfulness. It will help you become more aware of your body and shifts in mood. It can help you establish and maintain a sense of calm. You can learn how to draw that calm back when life tries to be life and everything gets chaotic in the way that it does.

Yoga focuses on breath and the way it moves through your body. You can call a short breathing meditation any time you need it. Close your eyes. Breathe. The only thing that matters is your breath and the way it cycles through you.

And then there's the poses. You'll gain flexibility and strength- mentally and physically. XD

I've found it very helpful.

Hydration is a given.

Fuzzy12
03-23-16, 03:41 AM
Yep, they work, guaranteed.

And yes, both are out of the question at the moment.

Hence my note.

And I suppose I answered your question in the best way I knew how.

Which is, like the rest of me, at times irritating and socially awkward.

Sorry,
Ian

No no don't apologise. Your suggestions are perfectly fine and helpful. In fact all the suggestions you guys made are really great. I really need to remember to drink more water. One of the reasons why I feel so uncomfortable is because I constantly feel dehydrated.

Though I think I might ship psycho's mom back...:lol:

Fuzzy12
03-23-16, 05:42 AM
So today morning I've had lots of water, did deep breathing exercises, did 15min of other exercise and tried to get a decent a mount of sleep. Once I get to work I might treat myself to a cup of decaf tea (if I remember to take tea bags).

Now, I'm super late for work and still a bit anxious but I guess I am feeling a bit better. It's crazy how a simple phone call can me panic like this. :rolleyes:

KarmanMonkey
03-23-16, 11:17 AM
Doing regular body check-ins (e.g. checking my breathing, muscle tension, pulse)
Setting a timer for 20min and getting up to stretch every time it goes off
Blowing the heads off of zombies (or, currently, raiders and super mutants)
Finding 15min of quiet
Looking for "quick wins" (things that take <5min to do that are easy and make me feel better, like cleaning the microwave, doing a little decluttering, or grabing the ever-growing pile of miscelaneous crap inside the front door and hiding it somewhere :D)
Asking for help with stressful tasks... Heck, any task I can get help with.
Delegating where possible
Allowing myself to be less than perfect (i.e. focussing on the 10 things I did do yesterday and not the 1-2 I didn't)
Gardening (at least once the weather gets a smidge warmer)
Getting a laugh out of my son
Playing a boardgame
Reading a book (or listening to an audio book)
Muse about creating my own boardgame (anyone have ideas about a boardgame that would portray life through the eyes of someone with ADD?)
Writing lists like these (strangely calming, and reminds me of things I haven't done in a while)

TheGreatKing
03-23-16, 02:23 PM
sit in the rain and enjoyed it it always seem to relax me when i walk in the rain.
something so simple about rain.

Fuzzy12
03-26-16, 02:37 AM
Once the anxiety takes hold it seems almost impossible to get rid of again. Now my brain is a bit more relaxed againbut if the anxiety strikes again I feel I'm almost defenseless. It just tears down all defenses.

KarmanMonkey
04-01-16, 03:42 PM
My wife is becoming a pretty good coach; I mention I'm anxious (or often she notices first) and without asking just puts a glass of water in my hand, gives me a hug, and reminds me of some of the tools to get through the moment.

TheGreatKing
04-01-16, 03:51 PM
You can have my mom.

She's real relaxing.

/ships fuzz fuzz his mother.

Okay, so I have a confession.
I lied.
But go ahead and keep her anyway will ya?

LOL!!:goodpost:

KarmanMonkey
04-07-16, 08:51 AM
Once the anxiety takes hold it seems almost impossible to get rid of again. Now my brain is a bit more relaxed againbut if the anxiety strikes again I feel I'm almost defenseless. It just tears down all defenses.

I find "in the moment" it's distractions and any technique to bring me to the here and now are most effective. Most of the strategies we've talked about are to deal with the background anxiety; regular practice makes the anxiety attacks less intense and less frequent.