View Full Version : Sleepy on Dexedrine?

BluePuchiko
03-22-16, 05:29 PM
Hi, my name's Blue, I was recently diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. I tried Adderall but it wasn't a good fit for me, just made me anxious and nauseous. Switched to Dexedrine, taking it slow, 1 dose of 5mg every day for the first 2 weeks(Doctor wrote me a prescription for 10mg pills, I just take half a day, under his advisement).

I really like it, mostly because I feel calm, happy, and generally more motivated. Dexedrine makes it really easy to focus on one thing at a time. I feel like my writing has improved a lot, I'm just generally able to express myself better.

I take my dose at around 1pm. I get a noticeable mood lift, everything feels more "fun", it's hard to describe. Then around 2pm I become very sleepy, almost sedated. I don't think I'm crashing because I still feel very cheerful and content. Yesterday, I took a nap for 3 hours and I felt very rested when I woke up.

Am I taking too small of a dose? I wanted to start out slow because my doctor told me Dex is many times stronger than Adderall (which I was taking 10mg once or twice a day). I didn't get sleepy on Adderall at all.

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived, I don't know. Next week, I plan on raising my dose to 5mg 2x a day.

Bart1992
03-24-16, 04:03 PM
I have sort of the same problem. If i take 5 mgs, i sometimes get a desirable effect that last around 2/3 hours and after that i feel very tired/ slow/ and i cant think straight anymore. Taking more dexedrine does not help and just makes me overfoccused, and some times more tired as well or more anxious.

when i take 10 mg the effect is around 3 hours but i also get tired after that as well. redosing does not work for me most of the time.

I've read that adderall can give you more physical energy because there is also levo-amphetamine in it which stimulates the body more, whereas dextro-amphetamine mainly stimulates the mind. I've never had adderall though because it is not prescribed in my country.

so sorry i have no clear answer to your question but i would too love to hear the experiences of others on this effect of dexedrine!

Pilgrim
03-24-16, 06:42 PM
If your feeling washed out or tired eat or sleep. Be careful on raising your dose.

Little Missy
03-24-16, 06:51 PM
Sometimes a nap works wonders. You'll wake up refreshed. I know I always do.

Little Nut
03-24-16, 07:16 PM
Blue... I recently switched to dexedrine IR from Adderall XR because the 30mg XR was only lasting for 6-8 hours/day and my Insuarance's Drug Formulary is much more flexible when prescribing Dexedrine IR.

Each Dexedrine IR dose is lasting 3+/- hours and I am at 5mg 4 times/day (QID). It is working well for recall and focus, but I am having similar issues w/ napping. I end up taking ~ a 1hr nap sometime during the day since I started the Dexedrine. I plan to just force myself to stay awake and hope
that the need to nap will take care of itself. Also, I find that the Dexedrine has little to no effect on my appetite. I still get hungry and eat Breakfast and dinner.

Does anyone else find that the Dexedrine IR dose only lasts 3+/- hours? (Not the onset effects ending, but actually start losing focus and recall afterwards?) Pilgrim, I did not have problems of getting sleepy/napping on the Adderall XR. It did give me more energy/drive, but I was always a little "Edgy" with the Adderall, with periodic headaches, and "restless"/cranky when it wore off.

LN

Abcdef
03-24-16, 07:39 PM
You could be adjusting to the med or you may need a higher dose. It's hard to tell unless you give it 100% (not saying you aren't) but take into consideration, diet, exercise, well being and any other factors.

Unfortunately the only way to truly find out is by trial and error, we are all so similar but yet so unique at the same time.

Persevere and you will get there in the end :)