View Full Version : Behavioural therapies we can try at home?

delancepants
03-23-16, 01:08 AM
Hi, my 7 year old son was recently diagnosed with ADHD. He doesn't appear to be a severe case, in fact most of my friends don't believe the diagnosis. In fact I don't have a great deal of confidence in the psychologist I saw and I'm not convinced that we can get good quality help here in India as generally they don't seek help for mental health issues here. However it is clear that he has difficulty paying attention and until we leave India (another year or so) I don't want to leave that unaddressed. If there are things I can be doing at home with him to help improve his attention skills then I'd like to do them. I could easily build it into the homeschool day. Has anyone had success with behavioural therapies at home? If so I would be grateful if you could pass on details.

Thanks

mildadhd
03-23-16, 08:29 AM
Hi, I highly recommend a playful approach. There is a newer thread in progress that we are presently working on discussing and exploring a playful approach to discipline. There is still lots of information to be add to thread. We could all learn together.

The most common reason for problem behaviour is immaturity.

"A Playful Approach To Discipline" by Dr. Gordon Neufeld (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1795088#post1795088)

>

delancepants
03-25-16, 10:01 AM
Thanks, it looks interesting, I'll check it out.

But I was actually looking more for therapies that could help his attention skills. Any suggestions?

Although now I think about it we could do with anything that might help him get a handle on his impulsivity, that seems to be the source of any poor behaviour we experience.

mildadhd
03-25-16, 01:44 PM
Thanks. I am very interested to.

We've have been doing free play therapy around our home for about 17 years now.

(also benefited from lots of free play during my own early childhood, but as I got older sometimes ran astray when not so supervised, partly due to my own immaturity)

Consistent secure supervised periods of free play does improve social, impulse inhibition and attention skills.

..Both human and animal studies have provided evidence that periods of play improve social skills, impulse inhibition and attention (Panksepp, 2007; Pellis et al., 2010) and result in specific neurochemical and dendritic changes in many neurons (Bell et al., 2010; Panksepp, 2008), especially in those brain areas in which ADHD children are deficient..

See post # 32 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1796367&postcount=32).

^

ginniebean
03-25-16, 02:50 PM
Not really. I used to work in behaviour therapy with children and parents, it's been shown in studies are very ineffective in implementation.

mildadhd
03-25-16, 04:16 PM
Not really. I used to work in behaviour therapy with children and parents, it's been shown in studies are very ineffective in implementation.

I am really interested in learning more about the studies you are referring to? Maybe I can help.

^

delancepants
03-26-16, 09:00 AM
Thanks mildadhd, he gets lots of free play time already. I've never heard of free play therapy, is it different to just free play?

He has no problem focusing his attention on lego and seeing as it's such a great toy I'm quite happy to let him play it for hours. He has an amazing ability to visualise what he wants to build in his head and he knows every single piece that he needs to build the desired item. It's really quite uncanny. He also seems to be good at chess, thinking several steps ahead. I don't know which came first, the lego or these skills but I think it's definitely good for him.

ginniebean, can you give more info on that? I haven't read much yet about ADHD but from the little I've read it seems that it's very common for kids to go straight on medication and the behavioural stuff falls by the wayside. I wonder if the scientific evidence is just lacking in this area? Or perhaps the picture is being muddied by the heavy reliance on meds?

thanks

mildadhd
03-27-16, 02:46 AM
Thanks mildadhd, he gets lots of free play time already. I've never heard of free play therapy, is it different to just free play?

Thanks Delancepants

(At home.) Free play therapy occurs in a emotional relationship between a child who develops own playful activities and a primary caregiver who consciously plays along, while making sure the child is safe.

Play: Free play, in which children develop their own activities, including rough-and-tumble activities that, as the term play implies, involves physical activity such as running, jumping, play fighting, and wrestling, are increasingly recognized as essential components of a child’s development

http://scholarpedia.org/article/ADHD_and_Play

There are also more free play treatment factors involved to discuss