View Full Version : Lowering my dose to avoid tolerance

Hermus
03-24-16, 07:51 AM
Four weeks ago my gp prescribed me methylphenidate IR. Until now I really enjoy the benefits. Right now I'm taking 10 mg at 8 am, 10 at 1 pm and 10 at 6 pm for 7 days a week. However, my doctor adviced me to try how it works out for me if I half the dose I take at 6 pm and to at least 1-2 days a week do without to avoid tolerance. I have noticed that during the first weeks the positive effects as well as the side-effects were stronger than they are right now. However, I have read that tolerance doesn't occur on methylphenidate.

So does the advice of my doctor make any sense?

aeon
03-24-16, 08:01 AM
No. Oral ADHD meds at clinical doses do not lead to the neuroplastic changes that occur as a part of developing tolerance.

Cheers,
Ian

namazu
03-24-16, 10:15 AM
No. Oral ADHD meds at clinical doses do not lead to the neuroplastic changes that occur as a part of developing tolerance.
Except when they might... (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3655054/) There's really not strong scientific evidence that would allow researchers to confirm or refute the potential for development of tolerance at therapeutic doses.

I do think it is useful to take the lowest effective dose, but that is usually achieved by titrating the dose upward slowly, rather than by occasionally halving or skipping doses after finding an effective dose.

There's not strong evidence that skipping doses will prevent tolerance, nor that such a regimen is beneficial for treatment. There is evidence that skipping doses will mean your ADHD is not well-treated on the days you do it.

Little Missy
03-24-16, 12:11 PM
I think Ritalin may be different in the tolerance area.