View Full Version : Dexedrine and sleep quality (deep sleep)

gonzolo
03-24-16, 11:40 PM
Dexedrine's half life is 10 hours. Dexedrine is a stimulant much stronger then caffiene and with a longer half life. If you take 20 or 30mg of Dex a day, half of it will still be in your system by the time you go to sleep.

My question is: Do you feel Dexedrine prevents you from getting enough Stage 4 Deep sleep? If yes, what medication or methods do you use to deal with it?

aeon
03-25-16, 12:49 AM
Dexedrine's half life is 10 hours. Dexedrine is a stimulant much stronger then caffiene and with a longer half life. If you take 20 or 30mg of Dex a day, half of it will still be in your system by the time you go to sleep.

Yet, that says nothing about if it is active, and if so, for how much longer.

Half-life is related to blood plasma, not duration of effect.

That said, I sleep well on Dex if I take it shortly before bed. If I have taken it hours beforehand, it can interfere with my sleep.

I also know how it affects my sleep stage progression as part of a medical study I participated in recently.

I stay in stage 4 for a longer amount of time, on average, on Dexedrine, as compared and contrasted with my unmedicated state.

My prescribed amount of Dexedrine is 60mg/day.

For the purposes of the medical study, I was tested at 30mg, 60mg, and 120mg of Dexedrine as part of the sleep study.

EDIT: If you want to sleep and Dex (among other things) is keeping you up, Trazodone has worked well for me. Trazodone + mirtazapine can result in me sleeping for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Ian

StuBDoo
03-31-16, 10:45 PM
Yet, that says nothing about if it is active, and if so, for how much longer.

Half-life is related to blood plasma, not duration of effect.

That said, I sleep well on Dex if I take it shortly before bed. If I have taken it hours beforehand, it can interfere with my sleep.

I also know how it affects my sleep stage progression as part of a medical study I participated in recently.

I stay in stage 4 for a longer amount of time, on average, on Dexedrine, as compared and contrasted with my unmedicated state.

My prescribed amount of Dexedrine is 60mg/day.

For the purposes of the medical study, I was tested at 30mg, 60mg, and 120mg of Dexedrine as part of the sleep study.

EDIT: If you want to sleep and Dex (among other things) is keeping you up, Trazodone has worked well for me. Trazodone + mirtazapine can result in me sleeping for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Ian

Agreed on Trazodone + Mirtazapine. I take 150mg of Trazodone nightly and often add a 15mg soluble Mirtazapine. I sleep quite well with this combo. These two prescriptions are, in fact, the only two that seem to work for me. I've tried many various prescriptions during a lifetime of sleepless nights.