View Full Version : Ritalin 5mg

Simargl
03-25-16, 06:10 PM
36mg of Concerta was the dose that worked the best for me-- However, it was inconsistent. I started taking 5mg of Ritalin as needed today. I didn't think one pill at a time would be enough but I still thought I'd give it a shot.

I took one in the early morning. I took another one an hour ago and I feel buzzed... :l I don't understand. How can a lower dose of the same active ingredient feel like so much?

Simargl
03-25-16, 07:45 PM
I think the initial buzz I get off of this medication freaks me out. I'm so used to being laid back. I'm doing better now but I think I was having a panic attack when I posted this. :P

aeon
03-25-16, 08:29 PM
Part/most of that can certainly be attributed to the fact that Concerta utilizes a controlled-release mechanism (OROS), whereas Ritalin is IR.

Concerta trickles out slowly, mg by mg.

Ritalin 5mg is...5mg, all at once.

As a result, blood plasma levels will get higher, faster, even to the point of having a spike-like response, with IR meds, in some cases.

That said, blood plasma levels do not necessarily directly reflect levels of efficacy, side-effects, or noticeable user experience, but there is a correlation.

That is why the wee 5mg Ritalin tablet seems all that, whereas the 36mg Concerta is otherwise.

That’s the simple answer, of course, and doesn’t take into account other potentials, the biggest of which is your unique response to this, and any other, medication.

Well Wishes,
Ian

Simargl
03-25-16, 08:38 PM
Thank you. That makes sense to me. I'm still learning about how all of this works and I thought Concerta released around 4mg over different periods of time. The first dose being almost instant like Ritalin and the rest throughout the day like you would expect.

I also think I might be incredibly sensitive to this kind of medication. I just made the connection that every time I think I'm about to have a heart attack or stroke (Extreme, I know...) I'm probably just having a panic attack. I'm not new to panic attacks but since I'm new to this medication I went to the worst case scenario. I think I'll be able to handle the situation better if it happens again.

TheGreatKing
03-25-16, 08:47 PM
It possible you are overthinking it, its kind`ve why people have bad trips on recreational drugs. Try to just let it go and not think so much about it and just try and keep to your normal schedule or even try meditation and do some exercise.

aeon
03-25-16, 09:16 PM
I also think I might be incredibly sensitive to this kind of medication. I just made the connection that every time I think I'm about to have a heart attack or stroke (Extreme, I know...) I'm probably just having a panic attack. I'm not new to panic attacks but since I'm new to this medication I went to the worst case scenario.

Iíve had a panic attack, and Iíve had a stroke (and a TIA), and they are all bad, but in terms of in-the-moment distress, nothing (for me) has ever come close to the sheer and abject terror of a panic attack.

That said, my stroke was in my cerebellum, so I was partially* physically disabled, but with a fully functional mind and emotions by which to consider the fact that I was having a stroke, and might die.

And that was bad, but it was also a gift, and it changed my life in ways I could never imagine. In ways I am grateful and thankful for.

Sorry for the OT,
Ian

* Thatís the most accurate and unloaded word, but inside it felt beyond severe, and the average person, in seeing me, would have been fair to describe me as ď****ed up.Ē

Hermus
03-27-16, 10:34 AM
In the beginning on ritalin I had one or two panic attacks too. The meds increase your hearth rate and blood pressure and this can be scary if you're not used to it. The thing I do is focusing on my breath and consciously try to calm it down. Also in my experience eating some sweets or fruits can help feeling more comfortable.