View Full Version : Personality Testing and ADHD/ADD

ADDer1972
03-28-16, 01:46 AM
I have concerns due to pre-employment testing (psychometric personality testing). Every time I complete one, I receive negative feedback and high spikes for anxiety and depression and well as others. I don't suffer from ether of these. I am a very happy ADDer!!!!

During a google search on Personality Testing and ADHD/ADD after getting after getting my umpteenth thanks but no thanks email, I read the following posted in 2014:

If anyone is interested I can share more details, but first I'd like to hear from (a) anyone else who has reviewed the literature; (b) anyone else who thinks they may have been treated unfairly by psychometric personality testing. In other words, is this more than a marginal issue for other forum members?

I'm trying to gather information proving a connection between ADD/ADHD and negative results from personality testing. Point (a) anyone else who has reviewed the literature, is of great interest to me. But can anyone tell me where this literature is that she speaks of?

Any information anyone could provide or where to find any articles would be greatly appreciated.

Richie

Lunacie
03-28-16, 10:17 AM
I had never heard of this kind of pre-employment testing.

I'm interested to see any responses on this thread.

As I'm retirement age and have kept my current job for over 10 years I don't think I'll ever have to take such a test.

But my granddaughter who has ADHD is 18 and close to graduation, and this is something she may face someday.

daveddd
03-28-16, 12:23 PM
i had to take one of these for my current job

i literally answered the opposed of the truth and passed with flying colors

Simargl
03-28-16, 01:14 PM
I've had to take several tests like this. You have to make sure you're consistent with your answers because they'll ask the same questions again and again but they're worded differently.

I worked a job where they started using the tests a while after I got hired. A bunch of the us took it to see how we'd do and most of us 'failed.' It's a little ridiculous because we were all pretty good at our jobs.

aeon
03-28-16, 09:09 PM
Learn how these tests work, especially internal consistency/validation checks...

...then take it, and tell them exactly what they want to hear. :p

It will be your first demonstration of your skills to a potential employer, but they donít need to know that. ;)

It helps to learn about things like The Big 5, IPIP-NEO, etc.

I canít believe I am giving this counsel, but here I am. :rolleyes:

Good Fortunes,
Ian

daveddd
03-28-16, 09:25 PM
Learn how these tests work, especially internal consistency/validation checks...

...then take it, and tell them exactly what they want to hear. :p

It will be your first demonstration of your skills to a potential employer, but they donít need to know that. ;)

It helps to learn about things like The Big 5, IPIP-NEO, etc.

I canít believe I am giving this counsel, but here I am. :rolleyes:

Good Fortunes,
Ian

mine also asked if i tend to stay up for days with increased energy

well yes, but I'm not telling you that

aeon
03-28-16, 09:54 PM

Only when working on important company projects, Sir! May I have another? :lol:

Cheers,
Ian

ginniebean
03-28-16, 11:48 PM
It has been a problem that company tests have been used to screen our anyone with a mental disability. There have been some court cases and aome wins but as you can imagine, each legal loss seems to stimulate more sophisticated wording.

The advice here has been good. Go in realizing they look to screen people out. Be wary of the questions and tell them what you think they want to hear.

Radio Hiker
04-08-16, 01:36 PM

That sounds like another way of saying, "So...do you take meth?", or "Are you bipolar?"

daveddd
04-08-16, 07:41 PM
That sounds like another way of saying, "So...do you take meth?", or "Are you bipolar?"

yes, the bipolar thing

for me at least

i didn't disclose that on the "test" though

TheGreatKing
04-08-16, 09:40 PM
one company said that i just wrote what i thought they wanted to hear because the test was to perfect lol so they didn't hire me :P