View Full Version : Running (on Vyvanse)

Agentlarkin
03-30-16, 11:42 AM
So I'm a 17 year old cross country and track runner that was recently diagnosed and medicated for ADHD. I am on 40mg dose of vyvanse.

We train relatively long, our longest runs being 12 and 13 miles. These longer runs seem harder now that I am on vyvanse which, based on what people here are saying, is due to vascuconstuction caused by it. I guess I am wondering if there is a way to counteract this. I read that nitric oxide supplements could potentially help but I also read that they are typically used for strength training as opposed to long distance running.

I also noticed that I was able to cut some time in my shorter events, 800 meters and 1600 meters. I think this may be due to the norepinephrine released. This makes me wonder if it is still safe to race on the medication. The adrenaline release would allow me to push myself harder and endure more pain thus making me run faster but could it also potentially make you endure to much so that you become injured? Also, do you think it qualifies as cheating or not? Thanks for your responses. This is my first post so I apologize if it's worded wrong or anything.

QuasarMind
03-30-16, 03:44 PM
The only cure might be to delay your Vyvanse until after your athletic activities I know when I used to roadrace (track) motorcycles I would only take 10 or 15mg of Adderall when my scheduled dose was 20+10mg. I know at the full dose I could tense up some which is a very bad thing. If your athletic activities are after noon you could try a taking your Vyvanse with a bigger meal in the morning, I have found this to soften it's effects.

Don't forget that as you pointed out it can be performance enhancing so to be fair I wouldn't be too giddy about it helping on the field. I know it was banned for racing too, but my ADD, even on the motorcycle, was too severe to ignore.

kleinquantum
04-10-16, 06:11 PM
Road bikers used to be notorious for taking stimulants to help them perform better. Its arguable. There is a video on youtube from 30 bananas a day where he advises against stimulants in general. AND for very good reasons.

Personally if you can find the equilibrium I say do what your gut is telling you to do. At the end of the day your a young person. So experimenting now and adapting to medications may come easiest to you know.

Tour De France riders in the earliest 20th century used it for the very reason you described
Electronic Sports (glorified video game playing) abuse stimulants like its going out of style
Such drugs like Adderall are banned from all sports...

But to get into your situation and your reasons young man/woman. Your not a professional level at least not yet :-). So the ethics behind taking it in your case are null.
As far as effecting your long distance running. That is an enigma to me. feel your gut. Take what I just said for a grain of salt. You will stable out eventually where the benefits completely out way your "side effects"

OK hopefully someone more experienced can chime in now. Good luck.

P.S
I know nothing about Vyvanse

aeon
04-10-16, 07:07 PM
So I'm a 17 year old cross country and track runner that was recently diagnosed and medicated for ADHD. I am on 40mg dose of vyvanse.

This is a relatively low dose of dextroamphetamine.

We train relatively long, our longest runs being 12 and 13 miles. These longer runs seem harder now that I am on vyvanse which, based on what people here are saying, is due to vascuconstuction caused by it. I guess I am wondering if there is a way to counteract this. I read that nitric oxide supplements could potentially help but I also read that they are typically used for strength training as opposed to long distance running.

I know of nothing in the literature to suggest this. I would more likely suspect issues of changes to hydration.

I also noticed that I was able to cut some time in my shorter events, 800 meters and 1600 meters. I think this may be due to the norepinephrine released. This makes me wonder if it is still safe to race on the medication.

I (usually) take a much higher dose of dextroamphetamine than you do, and I have a medically-significant heart defect, and my doctor has said I can do whatever I want to when medicated, and if that means exercise like a fiend (in whatever way ;)) thatís OK.

That said, you are not me, so talk to your doctor!

Norepinephrine likely did not have anything to do with it.

That said, amphetamines are known to increase endurance and raise the threshold for muscle failure under load.

The adrenaline release would allow me to push myself harder and endure more pain thus making me run faster but could it also potentially make you endure to much so that you become injured? Also, do you think it qualifies as cheating or not? Thanks for your responses. This is my first post so I apologize if it's worded wrong or anything.

Amphetamines in clinical use for ADHD are not adrenaline-releasing agents.

My experience is no, amphetamines will not make it possible to endure through injury.

As to whether it is cheating or not, I have no comment as I do not know the full context. That said, you are taking it for a disorder, not for a competitve advantage, and I will leave it at that.

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Cheers,
Ian