View Full Version : drawn like a magnet to someone with a distorted view of reality

RobotInDisguise
03-31-16, 03:31 AM
Well, that yearning's faded significantly now, but here's my story. the guy can pass for my brother if i were to have a brother. we act alike, talk alike, share the same core values, etc. plenty of synchronicities too, which probably makes it all weirder. People who know us both swear we're related. We're both control freaks in our own way and both have (or had) confidence issues. They manifest in different ways on the outside but I feel we're very much alike on the inside. Both have dealt with feelings of having something like an extreme unfillable void on the inside. However he has a bit of a distorted view of things, like sees the world and esp people as black and white and either puts them on a pedestal or calls them pure evil or both at different times. For me this was more about putting up and maintaining a constant image of perfection but at a great cost. I guess you can say I was the pull self up by the bootstraps sort of narcissist. He also has the emotional maturity of a small child at times.

Just by existing the guy reminds me of myself at a very deep level.

I'm drawn to him in ways that I never thought were possible before even though I know he's knee deep in issues that he needs to work out. I wonder hahahaha, of all the people out there I end up feeling a very intense attraction to probably the most inappropriate, and yet maybe in a way most appropriate, person.

I've made my peace with that but thought I'd post this update.

sarek
04-05-16, 02:30 AM
People come into our lives for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes even to act as a mirror for ourselves.

Lloyd_
05-07-16, 08:24 PM
People come into our lives for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes even to act as a mirror for ourselves.

To act as a mirror for ourselves? As in they project themselves onto us? Or they get this notion they can change us to be more like them??

aeon
05-07-16, 08:43 PM
To act as a mirror for ourselves? As in they project themselves onto us? Or they get this notion they can change us to be more like them??

I think what was meant was that through witness and experience of the other, we gain the ability to see ourselves. The other person becomes a lens by which one’s self can be seen.

This has nothing to do with projection and nothing to do with change of either person.

Cheers,
Ian