View Full Version : Urge to always take more than prescribed

pimdijkstraa
03-31-16, 01:47 PM
Hello,

I'd like to share some things that are currently playing in my life.
I'm a 20 year old student living in the Netherlands and I was diagnosed with AD(H)D when I just turned 18. My psychiatrist thought it was a good idea to prescribe me ritalin. I don't know why, but I immediately abused it in the first day. I really liked the effect, but I hated the rebound, and because I wanted to prevent the rebound, I took more ritalin.
When my dosage was 80mgs of ritalin a day, my urge went sky rocketing.
That was the reason why my 1 month supply would be taken in just a week.
I was ashamed of myself, but I told my psychiatrist and he got me off these meds. He said that concerta could be something for me.

Now, while my dose is 90mg a day (54mg Concerta in the morning and 36mg in the afternoon), I still have the urge to take more. I don't know why, because I don't really have a rebound while using Concerta. It just seems like I have no self-discipline because I will take more than prescribed. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I feel very bad, but it just keeps happening.

That's the reason why I think I'm addicted. And by saying that I don't mean physical addicted. When I'm out of meds, everything is fine, except that I can't really concentrate because I'm either running through the house like a maniac or brainstorming the hell out of 15 things at once. But when it's available, I can't control myself.

Does anyone recognise this and could provide me some advise? I'm kinda desperate to be honest. Thanks in advance!

P.s. excuse me for my English. I tried my best to make the problem as clear as possible.

Regards

Daydreamin22
03-31-16, 10:29 PM
This is a chemical dependency/addiction issue and its great that you caught it. Iwould definitely get professional help.

i41agree
04-06-16, 01:12 PM
Definitely tell your prescribing doctor. The longer over-use continues, the harder it will be to stop. There are non-addictive alternatives like Wellbutrin that might be safer. But that won't answer the real question: why are you feeling compelled to overuse?
Most addictions are the result of the desire to escape mental pain and suffering of some sort. You should probably talk to a psychologist/therapist or similar to find out why your mind isn't happy and come up with a healthy plan to fix that.

sarahsweets
04-07-16, 02:39 AM
With all addictions, its never the substance that causes anything its always the insides and thinking that cause addiction and abuse. Seek help and get that answer first.

huskerdrew88
04-08-16, 09:43 PM
I had a somewhat similar experience with Ritalin, but thankfully I already knew myself to be an addict. As such, I never acted on the urges and took more, rather I just felt anxious and agitated and crave it. I discussed my history and experiences with my Psydoc and he switched me to Adderall. I've had no problems with that. However, there is no "Magic Bullet" and regardless, you need treatment for Chemical Dependency.

Laserbeak
04-20-16, 03:14 PM
I can recycle this answer I mistakenly left elsewhere:

Try some sort of pill container that has daily dose segments (they sell them at any drug store) or simply put your daily doses in empty bottles and keep the full bottles well put away. Or, perhaps you could just keep a log to make sure you don't take more than as prescribed.

I know it can be difficult to stick to your prescribed doses, but if you go to your doctor, especially multiple times, and ask for more and more you'll likely end up getting totally cut off and referred to rehab.

I think everyone can agree that would not be fun! :eek:

Laserbeak
04-20-16, 03:35 PM
Also, consider that you are taking too high of a dose or don't need the drug at all. When taking controlled substances (or whatever you call them in Holland), you should always take the minimum amount required to avoid getting into an additive spiral of taking more and more.

Jiberish
04-25-16, 06:25 AM
There are a lot of things that really go into addictive personalities, or traits if you will. It can be anything from behavioral, to environmental. One of the most common is genetics. having ADHD in generally puts you at risk for substance abuse/alcoholism. I read a study (I cannot quote or supply a reference) that stated of all full blown alcoholics up to 25% actually had ADHD. That is what I read so please dont bash me on it, its just a statistic I had seen. But I wouldn't be surprised to be honest.......can we say self medicating. Anyways, I agree with all above, it might be good you found this early, to keep your guard up, before it goes down hill fast.

Pilgrim
04-25-16, 04:44 PM
I won't rehash anything that's been said here. And I'm no expert. Pills don't teach skills.
As to what Sarah said above.
I would start researching about ADD if I were you.

Off the top of my head when you get that uncomfortable racy feeling go and burn some energy off.

Go for a bike ride, routine in your life is also incredibly important. Have good solid friends around you, watch what you put in your body.