View Full Version : Please, do not "light it up blue" this year! Boycott Autism Speaks

BellaVita
04-01-16, 12:49 AM
It is almost that day of the year again - the dreadful Autism Awareness Day on April 2. (I celebrate Autism Acceptance Day instead)

I'm writing this post to hopefully change someone's mind before April 2, reasons from an autistic about why you should NOT "light it up blue" this year.

Here are some eye-opening facts about Autism Speaks:
[TW:Ableism]Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic member on their board.
Autism Speaks only spends 4% of their budget on “family services”.
Much of Autism Speaks’ money goes toward research, and much of that research centers on finding a way to eliminate autism, and thus, autistics (which will likely be done through a prenatal test, in the same way that the Down’s Syndrome test is conducted).
Autism Speaks produces advertisments, small films, etc. about what a burden autistic people are to society.
Autism Speaks was responsible for “Autism Every Day”, which featured a member of their board talking about contemplating murder-suicide of her daughter in front of her daughter. This has now be removed from Autism Speaks’ Youtube channel.
Autism Speaks is responsible for the atrocity known as “I am Autism”, a short film produced by the same person who directed the 3rd Harry Potter movie (yes, really) and features an ominous voice saying things like “I am autism…I know where you live…I work faster than pediatric AIDS, cancer, and diabetes combined…I will make sure your marriage fails.”

[information taken from thecaffeinatedautistic @ wordpress]

Autism Speaks doesn't speak for me. Let autistics speak for themselves.

We are not a disease.

This group needs to end, and Autism Acceptance needs to begin.

The majority of us don't want a cure. We don't want to be eradicated. We are peaceful, we are very kind, and we just want to be accepted.

Please - support #ActuallyAutistics this year and boycott Autism Speaks. I can only hope that my future children will not even know what this organization was.

Thank you for listening.
http://i63.tinypic.com/29p9slz.jpg

Simargl
04-01-16, 12:55 AM
This is disheartening; I had no idea. Thank for posting this.

BellaVita
04-01-16, 12:57 AM
This is disheartening; I had no idea. Thank for posting this.

Thank you for reading! :)

ginniebean
04-01-16, 01:54 AM
It is so unfortunate that so many "disability advocacy groups" do not have disabled people in positions of power.

stef
04-01-16, 02:12 AM
Thats simply frightening
And the target audience for this kind of thing i suppose, is people like me, surfing the net, interested in these kind of topics but not particularly knowledgeable...
Thank you for posting this!

BellaVita
04-01-16, 02:42 AM
I'm so glad people are willing to listen! Thank you so much!

<3

Simargl
04-01-16, 02:45 AM
Bella- I already know I'm going to be reading up more on this tomorrow. This disturbs me.

Unmanagable
04-01-16, 07:32 AM
Thank you for heightening awareness, Bella.

It painfully reminds me of the massive pink washing done yearly by breast cancer "awareness".

Yet the pinkness and the ribbons end up on all the toxic products and foods that create perfect conditions for the cancers to grow in. Grrrrrrrr

People are kept so busy and distracted, and typically trust those types of things based on the emotional attachments to them, or how many heart strings they can tug on in the advertising of it.

DJ Bill
04-01-16, 11:00 AM
Is this the same group that sponsors the TV ads about famous people and their kids with Autism? "The chances that xxxx would grow up and be a star are a billion to one, the chances he will have a son with autism is 1 out of 10" ads?

It stinks if it is. Thank you for letting us know.

TygerSan
04-01-16, 11:05 AM
Bella, I'm sorry if this is in your link and I missed it, but is there a visual symbol I can use instead of lighting my profile pic blue on Facebook?

BellaVita
04-01-16, 03:52 PM
Bella, I'm sorry if this is in your link and I missed it, but is there a visual symbol I can use instead of lighting my profile pic blue on Facebook?

There are some images I've saved, the one in my OP says "autism speaks doesn't speak for us" but the image doesn't show up in this forum.

I'll try to get some more posted, I've saved some good ones. I'll post them shortly.

Is the form of tinypic links okay? Like just the direct link and then you could save the image to your computer after you've clicked the link?

BellaVita
04-01-16, 07:39 PM
Here, I made this list of images anyone can use:

Red Instead Autism Acceptance Instead of Autism Awareness
Light it up Red instead of Blue
http://i67.tinypic.com/wvesra.jpg

Autism Acceptance Provides More for Autistics Than Only Awareness
http://i66.tinypic.com/avip1z.jpg

"Autism Speaks!!" "'This is autism?' NO. This is ableism. This is fearmongering. This is appalling. This is Autism $peaks."
http://i64.tinypic.com/2exwqya.jpg

Autistics Against Autism Speaks
The majority of the autistic community and over 60 disability rights groups are offended by Autism Speaks [I am not a puzzle, I am a person - little images in the top left and right corners]
http://i64.tinypic.com/2vw7or8.gif

Autism Speaks: The Ugly Truth 2013 Expenses [very helpful pie-chart thing that shows how only 4% went to family services grants and awards]
http://i65.tinypic.com/2eevsk3.jpg

Cure Autism <----marked out to show "Cure Ableism"
http://i65.tinypic.com/33l1lcx.jpg

We don't want a Cure
We want Acceptance
http://i63.tinypic.com/mlhxqh.jpg

Click on the link then save the picture to your computer, then upload that photo to social media.

Thanks for helping out!!!

peripatetic
04-01-16, 07:50 PM
I have similar complaints about NAMI. The fact that they support compulsory medications for people who don't want them is an outrage.

I pretty much loathe anyone who presumes to speak authoritatively about people's experiences with any illness they don't have. Too often the actual person is spoken for, and what's "best" is decided for and not by too many of us.

Anyway, I don't want to derail your thread with my grievances but I do find it interesting that you are opposed to autism speaks and why. It's also interesting to me how some things in the dsm are seen as differences we should accept and others are differences we should medicate and some are seen as "evil", etc.

Not that you suggested that last...I just find how we view differences...very differently.

I'm rambling now, so hitting post :)

BellaVita
04-01-16, 08:00 PM
I agree peri. It's interesting how different disorders are viewed differently.

I'm always willing to keep an open mind about things and be shown that I'm wrong, if I've ever misjudged any group of people. (I'm confused about the part where you said "I just find how we view differences....very differently." - not sure if "we" in the general sense or we as in you and me)

I don't know much about NAMI, but thanks for making me aware of them. Good to know these things.

peripatetic
04-01-16, 08:02 PM
Oh, to clarify: I meant I wasn't attributing to you treating different people differently by forcing meds on some and not others, etc.

And when I said "we" I meant, "people". Hope that clarifies xx

Fortune
04-01-16, 08:28 PM
One thing I am glad about here is that there's no one fervently defending Autism Speaks. There's someone like that on another forum I read who basically browbeats anyone who criticizes AS with a ton of irrelevant information.

daveddd
04-01-16, 08:51 PM
One thing I am glad about here is that there's no one fervently defending Autism Speaks. There's someone like that on another forum I read who basically browbeats anyone who criticizes AS with a ton of irrelevant information.

yea, i just assumed it was a good thing , i didn't know any information about it

they even light the top of the tallest building in cleveland blue for it

unfortunately as well, most people supporting it it probably believe they are doing a good thing

BellaVita
04-02-16, 07:37 PM
Happy Autism Acceptance Day!

If you can change one person's mind about Autism Speaks, then that one person could change other people's minds, and those people could change many other people's minds! It's a positive domino effect!

Thank you for your support! :)