View Full Version : ..help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD

mildadhd
04-02-16, 12:27 AM
What can we do to help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD, in young children who do not have ADHD yet?

B

Socaljaxs
04-02-16, 12:48 AM
What can we do to help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD, in young children who do not have ADHD yet?

I don't believe ADHD is preventable

mildadhd
04-02-16, 01:04 AM
I don't believe ADHD is preventable

If you could help lessen the severity of ADHD in other people, would you?

W

Socaljaxs
04-02-16, 01:19 AM
If you could help lessen the severity of ADHD in other people, would you?

Sure, I wouldn't want someone to suffer if I could help.

TheGreatKing
04-02-16, 01:50 AM
I would help lessen the severity of ADHD in others if i could, of course i would.
I have done a lot of questionable things , broken laws and hurt people. I don't
wish that upon anyone.
I think of this forum of one way of receiving help and support and also giving it back to people in need.

InvitroCanibal
04-02-16, 03:50 AM
Mostly, just being a role model has been shown to have excellent outcomes for adhd kids.

Mainly though, providing extra time and attention towards helping them understand why and not just the how of life.

People and Kids need to know what they are focusing for. You just can't tell an ADHD person to do x and do y with the expectation that they will if you have not explained why it matters, and why it matters to you, and why it matters for them.

Most people don't take the time to do this for themselves, so it's a challenge, but I do know that this helps.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the answers that you need.

mildadhd
04-02-16, 08:37 AM
In developmental psychology and developmental biology, a critical period is a maturational stage in the lifespan of an organism during which the nervous system is especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli. If, for some reason, the organism does not receive the appropriate stimulus during this "critical period" to learn a given skill or trait, it may be difficult, ultimately less successful, or even impossible, to develop some functions later in life. Functions that are indispensable to an organism's survival, such as vision, are particularly likely to develop during critical periods.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period

*We can learn and promote awareness about the critical period of emotional-self-regulation which occurs during the first few years of life. When young children are "especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli".

-What environmental stimuli promote development of emotion-self-regulation?

-What environmental stimuli interfere with the development of emotional-self-regulation?

(especially during the early sensitive critical period of development, since most of us have symptoms of a lack of emotional-self-regulation (aka, ADHD) by the age of 7)

There are doctors that have been discussing these topics publicly for at least 15 years.

**We can promote awareness of topics like the critical period of early development here at ADDForums.

%

mildadhd
04-02-16, 09:32 AM
-What environmental stimuli interfere with the development of emotional-self-regulation?

1) Fathers of fathers that leave their family without the emotional support required to help promote healthy fine tuning of emotion-self-regulation in their children?

U

mildadhd
04-02-16, 09:53 AM

1) Fathers of fathers that leave their family without the emotional support required to help promote healthy fine tuning of emotion-self-regulation in their children?

2) Primary caregivers that by no fault of their own, are consistently abnormally emotionally distressed during the child's critical period of emotional-self-regulation?

3)...

E

Socaljaxs
04-02-16, 09:59 AM
1) Fathers of fathers that leave their family without the emotional support required to help promote healthy fine tuning of emotion-self-regulation in their children? just so I'm clear this would be the paternal grandfather that you speak of? Correct? If so could you elaborate on this or show sources to confirm this?

My paternal grandfather was murderedwhen my father was 11. So this is something if it is what you men I would like to learn more about

mildadhd
04-02-16, 10:01 AM

2) Primary caregivers that by no fault of their own, are consistently abnormally emotionally distressed during the child's critical period of emotional-self-regulation?

3) War

4)...

W

mildadhd
04-02-16, 11:09 AM
just so I'm clear this would be the paternal grandfather that you speak of? Correct? If so could you elaborate on this or show sources to confirm this?

My paternal grandfather was murderedwhen my father was 11. So this is something if it is what you men I would like to learn more about

There are many unintentional types of distresses that may interfere the infant-primary caregiver's attunement relationship essential for neurodevelopmental fine tuning of emotional-self-regulation, during the child's early sensitive critical period.

Distressed early attunement relationships are especially likely to be lacking if the fathers and other primary caregivers "missed out on their own childhoods".

"..attunement is especially likely to be lacking if the parents missed out on their own childhoods."

-Gabor Mate M.D., "In The Realm Of Hungry Ghost", P 238.

O

finallyfound10
04-02-16, 11:49 AM
I don't believe that we can prevent true ADHD but I know that the more people are educated about the better off we all are. Parents will recognize it and begin early interventions to help their child cope at school and in life.

There are other situations that can mimic ADHD- such as those listed above.

Socaljaxs
04-02-16, 12:04 PM
There are many unintentional types of distresses that may interfere the infant-primary caregiver's attunement relationship essential for neurodevelopmental fine tuning of emotional-self-regulation, during the child's early sensitive critical period.

Distressed early attunement relationships are especially likely to be lacking if the fathers and other primary caregivers "missed out on their own childhoods".

Was that a yes or no?

mildadhd
04-02-16, 12:40 PM
I don't believe that we can prevent true ADHD but I know that the more people are educated about the better off we all are. Parents will recognize it and begin early interventions to help their child cope at school and in life.

Whether people have ADHD due to a inherited temperament, and/or, due to abnormally distressful early life experiences, in both cases, they both still experience a critical period of emotional-self-regulation "during which the nervous system is especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli."

i

mildadhd
04-02-16, 05:32 PM
I can only think of a handful of early ADHD treatment factors that could be as important for caregivers of young children possibly suffering with ADHD, as understanding how emotional-self-regulation develops during the early critical period of emotional-self-regulation.

Every doctor and caregiver who suspects a young child possibly has ADHD should definitely be aware of the critical period of emotional-self-regulation.

+

mildadhd
04-02-16, 08:43 PM
There are no reasons to feel guilty about helping promote public awareness of the early critical period of emotional-self-regulation.

In developmental psychology and developmental biology, a critical period is a maturational stage in the lifespan of an organism during which the nervous system is especially sensitive to certain environmental stimuli. If, for some reason, the organism does not receive the appropriate stimulus during this "critical period" to learn a given skill or trait, it may be difficult, ultimately less successful, or even impossible, to develop some functions later in life. Functions that are indispensable to an organism's survival, such as vision, are particularly likely to develop during critical periods.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_period

K

mildadhd
04-02-16, 09:05 PM
For what reasons do young children not receive the appropriate environmental stimulus during the early "critical period" of emotional-self-regulation?

1) Attunement needs essential for fine tuning of emotional-self-regulation development are especially likely to be lacking if the primary caregivers "missed out on their own childhoods"?

2) Primary caregivers that by no fault of their own, are consistently abnormally emotionally distressed during the child's critical period of emotional-self-regulation (example, war, consistent abnormal types of social distresses, chronic depression, chronic anxiety..)

3) Immaturity?

4) Hyperreactive affective temperament?

5)..

W

daveddd
04-02-16, 09:10 PM
1. yep (left when my dad was 2

2. yes, depression

3. no

4. probably

5 yes

in my case

Gonzohst6869
04-02-16, 09:26 PM
I'm sure no one would vote NO, but I would be interested why on would choose that.

mildadhd
04-02-16, 09:41 PM
Was that a yes or no?

Yes, a possibility, epigenetically.

t

Socaljaxs
04-02-16, 09:43 PM
1. Is not true for all cases. In fact this could provide the nessasary drive because of the lack of childhood your parents had. My maternal side family is proven of this. The parents( my maternal grandparents, all sadly lived very complex lives, suffered thru war, holuscaust, leaving a country for safety, mental illness. The children of the children on my maternal side, are some of the most successful and well rounded,generous loving and giving people you would ever meet. I have family memebers that are the children of the children that suffered and lost their childhood that would be considered by any standards extremely successful and weathy. Having real life examples of this . I disagree with 1 & 2

I Don't understand what 3 and 4 means

For what reasons do young children not receive the appropriate environmental stimulus during the early "critical period" of emotional-self-regulation?

1) Attunement needs essential for fine tuning of emotional-self-regulation development are especially likely to be lacking if the primary caregivers "missed out on their own childhoods"?

2) Primary caregivers that by no fault of their own, are consistently abnormally emotionally distressed during the child's critical period of emotional-self-regulation (example, war, consistent abnormal types of social distresses, chronic depression, chronic anxiety..)

3) Immaturity?

4) Hyperreactive affective temperament?

5)..

W

daveddd
04-02-16, 10:30 PM
2 , depression in mothers has been shown to result in poor emotional regulation

since emotional regulation is learned vicariously , i could see how an already temperamental baby would have issues learning regulation from a mom who has problems with emotional regulation

Socaljaxs
04-02-16, 10:39 PM
1. Is not true for all cases. In fact this could provide the nessasary drive because of the lack of childhood your parents had. My maternal side family is proven of this. The parents( my maternal grandparents, all sadly lived very complex lives, suffered thru war, holuscaust, leaving a country for safety, mental illness. The children of the children on my maternal side, are some of the most successful and well rounded,generous loving and giving people you would ever meet. I have family members that are the children of the children that suffered and lost their childhood that would be considered by any standards extremely successful and weathy. Having real life examples of this . I disagree with 1 & 2

When I say my maternal grandparents, this includes my great aunts and great uncles. Whom I consider part of my grandparents. My maternal grandmother passed away when I was 9...she however had 14 brothers/sisters ( some of them were half brothers/sisters. After the holuscaust only 6 of the 14 children had survived. My maternal grandmother first born son along with her parents/brothers/sister nieces and nephews were all murdered)

My maternal family side is very close and when I speak of the children of the grandparents, I'm speaking of my cousin's and uncles and aunts that would be considered a generation above me. I'm not speaking of my parents I'm talking about the entire family as a whole

daveddd
04-02-16, 11:38 PM

i don't know that there is such thing as true ADHD

so the its not really that situations mimic it, i believe its more that its a extremely heterogenous symptom grouping

excellent point the better educated we are the better off we are

possible prevention into adulthood may be possible

they say what 60-70% of kids with ADHD go onto have it in adulthood

the shocking part is some recent research shows in adults with persisting ADHD the genetic variance actually drops significantly

some very exciting possibilities

"First indications suggest that the genetic component of aADHD is partly different from the one observed in children, which may leave room for differentiating persisters from desisters in the future. Given this prospect, in conjunction with the prospects of using genetics in the clinic to improve treatment for ADHD in adults, halt the progression of the disorder and/or improve coping when the disorder does persist, large-scale studies of aADHD (genetics), especially those with longitudinal designs, seem warranted."

"Prediction of outcome and prevention of persistence through intervention is a particularly relevant clinical issue. Knowing that ADHD remits in a percentage of cases,2 and that both genetic and environmental factors are involved in its etiology provides a basis for hypothesizing that ADHD persistence into adulthood might be preventable in some patients by intervention early in childhood. Indeed, the finding from longitudinal twin studies of ADHD throughout child and adolescent development suggest a role for newly developing genetic influences at different developmental state"

so early detection would be key

I'm very excited to see where this goes

source

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3449233/

daveddd
04-03-16, 12:00 AM
I'm sure no one would vote NO, but I would be interested why on would choose that.

misery likes company for a very small minority I'm sure

mildadhd
04-03-16, 12:03 AM
I have been focusing on the human early implicit critical period of emotional-self-regulation approximately occuring before the age of 3-7, in regards to lack of emotional-self-regulation and ADHD. Because most of us have had symptoms of ADHD before the age of 7. But a explicit critical period of self-regulation development extends much longer from about the age of 3 to 21, in humans. Thanks for taking the discussion more in depth.

R

daveddd
04-03-16, 12:06 AM
"ADHD persistence into adulthood might be preventable in some patients by intervention early in childhood. "

i think this is hinting to get them in early childhood , it maybe won't stop it then, but give them the tools to grow out of it once caught up with the developmental lag

mildadhd
04-03-16, 12:16 AM
"ADHD persistence into adulthood might be preventable in some patients by intervention early in childhood. "

i think this is hinting to get them in early childhood , it maybe won't stop it then, but give them the tools to grow out of it once caught up with the developmental lag

Off the top of my head. There are some important differences between preverbal implicit period of development (before 3-4*) and the verbal explicit period of development (from about the age of 3-21), to recognize. If I understand correctly ADHD involves the more implicit (automatic) stage of development. And in turn possibly also effect the longer explicit stage of development. Thanks again. I will need to review, and post more next weekend.

xo

daveddd
04-03-16, 12:19 AM
There are some important differences between preverbal implicit period of development (before 3-4*) and the verbal explicit period of development. (from about the age of 3-21). ADHD involves the more implicit (automatic) stage of development. And in turn possibly effect the longer explicit stage of development. Thanks again. I will need to review, and post more next weekend.

xo

next weekend

talk about procrastinating :lol:

mildadhd
04-03-16, 12:21 AM
next weekend

Lack of emotional-self-regulation = chronic procrastination

:D

mildadhd
04-03-16, 12:28 AM
Post away on the topics, reading these thread discussion helps me learn.

Thanks

m

SB_UK
04-03-16, 07:23 AM
What can we do to help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD

When I took diazepam ... I found it cleared my mind and aided concentration.

I have come to recognise my anxiety as a hyper-reactive type. For some reason I am over stimulated ...

My family is very much the same as this - we are all hypersensetive, so I think it may be genetic / biological.

To investigate the general idea (as expressed above) that anxiety (glutamate dominance over GABA) through over-sensory stimulation is driving the disorder element of ADHD.

So:
Attentional deficit (attentional surfeit) - caused by propensity towards informaitonal sensitivity
ADH Disorder - caused by predominantly informational over-stimulation (though under-stimulation also).

Informational over-stimulation - eg in a busy room with multiple people're talking simultaneously and we're required to prioritize responses, supermarket aisles where there're thousands of products which require comparison (price,ingredients) for choice ... ...

Informational under-stimulation - eg in a classroom where information relayed makes no sense

-*-

So - it would seem (on the surface of it) - difficult to establish an optimal (balanced) environment between under- and over-stimulation for a child - since all children are different.

What's the solution ?

The solution would be to introduce software which assesses and automatically adjusts level and rate of progress dependent on performance.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/10/geekie-educational-software-brazil-machine-learning

Trivial to program - engaging software packages which help to increase an individual's vocabulary, mental arithmetic skills, spatial skills, logical skills, etc
ie to generate 'games' which impart sklls - where these games are automatically adjusted to the level of the student.
Failure on any given level - results in repetition - and with sufficient examples included that the student cannot simply 'learn' the correct answer.
Require programming only once - applicable to all languages
Naturally - the games should become more interesting as the student progresses.

-*-

I haven't encountered any academic skill where some high level of success cannot be attained using this general approach.
Naturally - there will come a point where the individual will need to switch from theoretical learning into practical learning.

SB_UK
04-03-16, 08:21 AM
..help prevent and/or lessen the severity of ADHD[1] To realise that [increasing] sensitivity is with us to stay; evolution is selecting for sensitivity (personal quality acquisition).
[2] To realise that the ONLY method of handling sensitivity is to form a society where the individual is free to walk away when they feel discomfort from either under- or over-stimulation ... ... to form a society where we're able to walk away when we feel the discomfort of other people.
Current society enriches for anti-social tendencies as the reward system which people are taught to apply is selfish ('take') as opposed to social ('give').
[3] This society arises if we switch from a global capitalist into a global voluntaryist society.
[4] An individual naturally switches to desiring Voluntaryism (an aversion to Capitalism) and applying the 'give' reward system (an aversion to the 'take' reward system) if an individual realises that the purpose of the human mind is to know right from wrong.
[5] The transition to morality runs alongside the acquisition of personal sensitivity/quality.
[6] The acquisition of personal sensitivity/quality appears to run alongside satiety at reduced/reducing absolute quantitative level of dopaminergic transmission/release.

SB_UK
04-03-16, 08:46 AM
Struggling with 1 idea.

Does wisdom result in complete elimination in dopaminergic transmission or in the acquisition of a state of being in which the optimal/desired level of dopaminergic transmission is non-zero / low as opposed to zero.

Non-zero / low is more appealing - since gaining 'divorce' from the motivational mechanism would mean that we're no longer controlled.

The acquisition of free will simply shifts control from food intake onto rational behaviour onto quality-acquiring pursuits ie 'reward' appears to be integral in defining operation.

mildadhd
04-03-16, 01:01 PM
..Endorphins + Dopamine + ...

..Both endorphins and dopamine promote the development of new connections in the prefrontal cortex. Dopamine released from the midbrain also triggers the growth of nerve cells and blood vessels in the right prefrontal cortex and promotes the growth of dopamine receptors. A relative scarcity of such receptors and blood supply is thought to be one of the major physiological dimensions of ADD.

-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", Chapter: "The Footprints Of Infancy", P 83.

G

mildadhd
04-03-16, 01:15 PM
implicit memories (before the age of 3*)

implicit memories and explicit memories (after the age of 3*)

There are no explicit memories before the age of 2-3.

Implicit unconscious wisdom (type of wisdom stored before the age of 3*) ?

Implicit unconscious wisdom + Explicit conscious wisdom (type of wisdom stored after the age of 3*) ?

?

mildadhd
04-04-16, 10:40 PM
next weekend

Actually, consciously planning to wait and review the material, and actually follow through in the future, would be an act of self-regulation.

I am sure most people who have ADHD can understand how hard it can be to follow through on future plans in general.

i have been consciously waiting and reviewing, now and again, and sometimes even following through.

it is actually getting kind of neat to actually follow through a little on purpose, now and again.

K

mildadhd
04-04-16, 11:13 PM

So far 6 of 93 753 members voted "yes"

Even less than 6 members acknowledge the existence of critical period of emotional-self-regulation.

(mildadhd runs away fastly)

T