View Full Version : Towels

anonymouslyadd
04-03-16, 12:11 AM
I hate them. I hate how they feel on my hands. I think Adderall heightens my sensitivity to them. I can't stand drying off after I shower.

Does anyone else have a sensory issue with towels?

aeon
04-03-16, 12:17 AM
I do, but I searched for towels that didnít rub me the wrong way, pun intended. :D

Ring-spun cotton and bamboo did the trick.

And always washed by themselves, no fabric softener. This is key.

Cheers,
Ian

TheGreatKing
04-03-16, 12:26 AM
not towels no lol

stef
04-03-16, 02:25 AM
I hate when towels are too small or too thin. i cant wrap up my wet hair correctly.
those microfiber towels they have now for swimming are horrible! UGH.

BellaVita
04-03-16, 02:52 AM
Yes yes yes! I have always disliked drying off after a shower!

I have to use fabric softener on my towels, if they are dried without it I can't stand the stiff starchy feel on my skin. I can't even stand watching someone else use a stiff starchy towel.

Little Missy
04-03-16, 06:38 AM
Fabric softeners make my hands feel like sandpaper. The dryer balls help but not when the detergent has that preservative in it. Methylisothiazolinone is ruining my life.

Good cotton towels washed alone are fine. I can't stand microfiber anything. It makes me recoil. Won't sit on it, use it, I hate it. Fake fabric.

Socaljaxs
04-03-16, 09:40 AM
I have found extra fluffy or beach towels are best or my go too when picking a towel to use.

Lunacie
04-03-16, 10:40 AM
Fabric softeners make my hands feel like sandpaper. The dryer balls help but not when the detergent has that preservative in it. Methylisothiazolinone is ruining my life.

Good cotton towels washed alone are fine. I can't stand microfiber anything. It makes me recoil. Won't sit on it, use it, I hate it. Fake fabric.

We've been making our own laundry detergent for several years now. No scents or unwanted chemicals in it.

Very easy to make, just google "homemade laundry detergent."

Greyhound1
04-03-16, 10:47 AM
Towel has to be thick, absorbent and very soft cotton. Usually, I have to wash new towels several times before even considering using them.

To me the worst is a towel dried outside on a clothes line. It gets so stiff and scratchy. Feels like sandpaper on my sensitive skin.:eek:

Same rules apply to my bed sheets and t-shirts.

WheresMyMind
04-03-16, 11:33 AM
The whole shower experience is one I grapple with. I love to be clean, but while in the shower, ideas come to me that I want to capture, but I haven't found a way to write while in the shower. So I repeat them over and over and finish quickly, head to the office and write them down. And find soap somewhere I didn't rinse well, so I'm back in the shower to rinse and another idea comes up and...

And, when finally done, since I had to leave the bathroom to write something down, I am now *out* of the bathroom and the shower remnants are not in my mind and it won't be until I have a visitor that I remember I should have cleaned up in there.

Unmanagable
04-03-16, 11:58 AM
Cotton only, washed in white vinegar, with that also being used as the fabric softener (the smell completely disappears as soon as it's dry), and they're even nice and soft fresh off of the clothes line.

I love that fresh air smell vs. the synthetically created, highly volatile (look up volatile organic compounds), nose-burning, head exploding detergent and fabric softener stuff. Even the unscented stuff has a stench to me. That unmistakable synthetic stench.

It's the ingredients in the detergents and fabric softeners that make the fabrics harden, and that stuff also eventually breaks down the fibers a lot faster than if we didn't use it, from my experience.

I used to be hooked on the original tide scent and original downy april fresh fabric softener stuff. Grew up with all the domestic goddesses in my life using it. I even doubled the amount of fabric softener I used in bed linens, towels, etc. because I loved the scent so much. Until I quit smoking 9 years ago and my nose realized what was actually going on.

Here's some helpful info from a website I frequent (organicauthority.com) regarding the fabric softeners, and I bolded the part where they mention bath towels:

What is fabric softener? It is a combination of chemicals that coat the surface of textiles with a thin layer of lubrication. This makes the clothes feel smoother and helps them to resist the buildup of static electricity. Early fabric softeners were made from a combination of soap and olive oil or other natural oils.

However, today’s fabric softeners are made of noxious chemicals combined with a massive amount of fragrance that masks their nose-curling odors. Fabric softener actually makes material less absorbent, which is not a good thing for your bath towels anyway.

Here is a list of just SOME of the toxic chemicals found in commercial fabric softeners:

Alpha Terpineol: can cause central nervous damage and respiratory problems
Camphor: causes central nervous disorders, is easily absorbed through skin
Chloroform: a carcinogenic neurotoxin preferred by Ted Bundy
Benzyl Acetate: linked to pancreatic cancer
Benyl Alcohol: respiratory tract irritant
Ethanol: on the EPA’s “hazardous waste” list, can cause central nervous system disorders
Ethyl Acetate: a narcotic on the EPA’s “hazardous waste” list
Limonene: a known carcinogen that irritates eyes and skin
Linalool: causes central nervous system disorders and depresses heart activity

Using a liquid fabric softener? You are pouring these toxic chemicals into the ocean every time you use it. Even worse than liquid fabric softeners are dryer sheets, whose chemicals are heated and then shot into the air for you to breathe into your lungs.

That “fresh-from-the-dryer” smell that fabric softeners impart to your clean load of laundry? Don’t breathe it in, if you like your lungs to function. That super floral smell is masking a seriously unhealthy chemical stench.

aeon
04-03-16, 12:07 PM
Cotton only, washed in white vinegar, with that also being used as the fabric softener (the smell completely disappears as soon as it's dry), and they're even nice and soft fresh off of the clothes line.

Yes, this...nice antimicrobial and antifungal action too...and good for the washing machine...and yes, best fabric softener ever...and yep, doesn’t mess with the towel’s ability to absorb.

Cotton only is good...cotton and bamboo is good too. :)

Cheers,
Ian