View Full Version : Is binge eating caused by appetite or emotions

CheapestThread
04-04-16, 02:00 PM
I don't have anything of genuine to help to really add to this topic as someone who hasn't been prescribed ADHD meds before, but this thread does raise an interesting question to me. Is binge eating controlled by appetite, or emotion? If you take away the appetite, but leave the emotion does it have any affect? Or would it all vary on a person by person basis?

I was reading on my Prozac labels on what it's treated for, and it said Bulimia Nervosa, and BED. Which also made me wonder, were they simply relying on its anti-depressant qualities, because in some cases binging is ruled by feelings of depression? Or does it go further than that? Because Prozac isn't exactly known for causing long term decrease in appetite and/or nausea (it did for me in the beginning but it went away after two weeks).

Sorry if this just adds more confusion than help, but the complexities of even eating disorders that are as seemingly straightforward as "just eating too much at once" intrigue me, and I wish I could understand them better. They're is something so contradictory about them, and yet so deeply rooted in human nature. I wish there were more research done on the disorders in order to better understand them, but they're all so difficult to quantify.

Socaljaxs
04-04-16, 04:53 PM
IS binge eating controlled by appetite, or emotion? If you take away the appetite, but leave the emotion does it have any affect? Or would it all vary on a person by person basis? .

I think binge eating and emotional eating are considered different. While there may be underlying triggers associated with binge eating... emotional eating is a form of self-medicating. You eat a pint,of ice cream instead of a healthy meal, not considered a binge but the food provides a sort of comfort for a person.

Pilgrim
05-06-16, 06:23 AM
I find emotional eating obviously something you do to assuage emotions. Now with Stimulints I only eat when I need to, although sometimes I see the sweet tooth floating back and it doesn't help. I sometimes binge eat to get the calories into me when I take a break from Stimulints .

Unmanagable
05-06-16, 11:05 AM
I don't have anything of genuine to help to really add to this topic as someone who hasn't been prescribed ADHD meds before, but this thread does raise an interesting question to me. Is binge eating controlled by appetite, or emotion? If you take away the appetite, but leave the emotion does it have any affect? Or would it all vary on a person by person basis?

I was reading on my Prozac labels on what it's treated for, and it said Bulimia Nervosa, and BED. Which also made me wonder, were they simply relying on its anti-depressant qualities, because in some cases binging is ruled by feelings of depression? Or does it go further than that? Because Prozac isn't exactly known for causing long term decrease in appetite and/or nausea (it did for me in the beginning but it went away after two weeks).

Sorry if this just adds more confusion than help, but the complexities of even eating disorders that are as seemingly straightforward as "just eating too much at once" intrigue me, and I wish I could understand them better. They're is something so contradictory about them, and yet so deeply rooted in human nature. I wish there were more research done on the disorders in order to better understand them, but they're all so difficult to quantify.

Coming from someone who struggled with food addiction, binge eating, and morbid obesity their entire life, until this past year, after doing an intensive script flip regarding what I eat and drink, at the ripe old age of 48, I painfully, yet joyfully, learned it's a combination of all the above, and then some.

A lot depends on your personal biological make-up. Don't forget to include how the food-like substances and beverages are manufactured specifically to be highly addictive when tossing around ideas about it. I never thought about that, as I trusted in the alphabet agencies for most of my life, just like I was taught to do. Hahahahahahaha! Apparently, that was my first mistake.

There isn't much research done, or funded, to show how toxic all of that stuff really is, in my opinion, because of the trail of money, and all the power that goes with that, that leads back to who funds it all. Makes me even more glad I was willing to dive into doing it for myself and not heavily or solely relying on research to guide me.

If research were to show all that mass produced synthetically created stuff is no longer healthy because our bodies don't actually recognize it and cannot EVER healthily process it, no matter how it's labeled and how much we are told it can, then there would be massive loss of profits to the industries financially supporting the facade, even the ones heavily and falsely labeled as the supposed healthier choice. Unfortunately, there's a lot of folks who wouldn't take too kindly to that, no matter how much better off our overall health would become from learning those facts.

Of all the things I've tried in my lifetime to find my health, learning the inner most workings of my body (especially the digestive and respiratory systems), what foods create mucus build-up within our bodies, what is most beneficial in sustaining my own flavors of wellness via the end of my fork and food combining, and by what's in my drinking glass and allowed on my body, has proven to be the most powerful and effective means of healing I've found, thus far.

Using food as it was meant to be, preferably in it's natural state and not from a test tube created in likeness, as fuel to nurture and sustain vs. using food as a pacifier, a comforter, a celebration, an expression of gratitude, a token of love, a form of stress relief, a show of sympathy, or as a favorite childhood or taste bud memory, as we are all taught to do from birth, made all the difference in my world.

It's the absolute most difficult thing I've encountered and tackled, thus far. Food addiction runs deep within many and goes widely unrecognized because we've been taught to accept it, approve of it, and even crave it. Unlearning was the first step I had to get used to taking throughout the whole process. My mind remains blown within my experiences.

stef
05-06-16, 11:27 AM
Wow I really don't know - it may be 2 completely seperate issues. Or 2 things that become intertwined.
I wonder as my mom was quite overweight; I know there are people who eat more when unhappy (personally I lose my appetite).
Either way food addiction in my opinion is a serious issue.

Fuzzy12
05-06-16, 02:40 PM
I'd say emotions but I am not convinced that appetite isn't caused by emotion too. At least my appetite totally depends on how I'm feeling at that time.

I guess you can habitually over eat either out of habit or for physical reasons but apart from that I think it's all down to emotions.

Neil645
06-14-16, 12:07 AM
Binge eating can be triggered by emotions, by memories or by an unhealthy response to stress. Binge eating is often a mixed-up way of dealing with or avoiding difficult emotions. Regardless of the reason for binge eating, hunger alone is rarely the only trigger.

aloedrink
01-06-17, 03:25 AM
I often overeating, how to control ?