View Full Version : Splitting up my Vyvanse...

OddballRoberts
04-05-16, 01:13 PM
So I take 70mg daily and it works great. I take it mostly for work but find I need it for personal life too if I need to get things done quickly. I take it around 830am and I can feel it tapering off around 1pm. I wish it would last all day but alas, it doesnt. I asked my doctor about getting an afternoon booster but he wont do it. I thought of splitting my pills up so i can have a little extra to carry me through the afternoon. I'm sure a lot of Vyvanse users try this but was hoping to get some pointers or tips. Was thinking of taking most of it in the morning like 50 mg and then the 20 in the afternoon. Again, i wish I could just feel that wonderful feeling of Vyvanse all day but that isn't going to happen. Any and all feedback is good. Thanks all!

thomass
04-06-16, 09:11 AM
http://www.vyvanse.com/?mid=V013061&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=2016_b_dtc_vyvbrand_adhd_branded&utm_term=vyvanse&utm_content=brand%20-%20only_exact&showisi=true&gclid=CjwKEAjw55K4BRC53L6x9pyDzl4SJAD_21V14TGqR32j qDRL2qejFbcphLTeuyWJCwG27-VCRzPEqhoCJrrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CO3O1fGK-ssCFdIdgQodMP8HAQ

If you read page 2, you'll see that vyvanse can be dissolved in water or even sprinkled on yogurt.

thomass
04-06-16, 09:12 AM
Page 2 of the prescribing info

QuasarMind
04-11-16, 02:08 PM
This is why I took Adderall 20mg AM 10mg PM when I had a doctor cool with doing that. If Shire watches this forum they are probably wanting to wring my neck but their basically the same medicine anyway. Some find they have anxiety problems on Adderall they don't on Vyvanse but for me that's not true and since you are already comfortable on the max dose of Vyvanse I suspect you will be fine.

I found eating with Vyvanse makes the condition you describe worse not better. Try not eating your first meal until 3 hours after you take your 70mg Vyvanse. I find if I even eat 2 hours into my Vyvanse it takes a lot of potency out of it.

sarahsweets
04-11-16, 02:14 PM
Actually, vyvanse begins to do its magic once it reaches the gut so eating will jump start that process.

This is why I took Adderall 20mg AM 10mg PM when I had a doctor cool with doing that. If Shire watches this forum they are probably wanting to wring my neck but their basically the same medicine anyway. Some find they have anxiety problems on Adderall they don't on Vyvanse but for me that's not true and since you are already comfortable on the max dose of Vyvanse I suspect you will be fine.

I found eating with Vyvanse makes the condition you describe worse not better. Try not eating your first meal until 3 hours after you take your 70mg Vyvanse. I find if I even eat 2 hours into my Vyvanse it takes a lot of potency out of it.

QuasarMind
04-12-16, 12:08 AM
Actually, vyvanse begins to do its magic once it reaches the gut so eating will jump start that process.

That is an uneducated theory of amateur science. I have tried it with everything from cereal to a bbq sandwich as light meals and for heavy meals I tried a steak w/baked potato and a 7oz (relatively small) chicken friend steak and potato also. Everything food killed it, even a lean BBQ sandwich. Obviously the cereal had the lesser effect but it still cut the strength by about 1/3 with one bowl and about 1/2 with two bowls.I even found that if I drink too much water it kills it also, so I started drinking about an inch of water out of a normal glass when I take the med and not drink anything else until at least 2 hours later. I also tried taking it with OJ and while it might had been the volume of the amount of OJ I drank it defiantly blocked the potency as well but that is a common reaction w/ Adderall which is very similar.

Your stomach has plenty of digestive enzymes empty or full. I wish there was a magic way to get this stuff to work better, other than just taking Adderall, but I don't think there is. According to internet science a 1 lean bbq sandwich should had helped a bit but if I eat it within the first hour it kills the potency by about 75%, 2 hours by about 50% and 3 hours doesn't seem to make a difference.

dvdnvwls
04-12-16, 01:35 AM
QuasarMind:

Are those your subjective impressions, or measurable differences in effect?

In other words, how can you be sure that you're noticing a reduction in symptom control and not just other changes?

sarahsweets
04-12-16, 04:02 AM
That is an uneducated theory of amateur science. I have tried it with everything from cereal to a bbq sandwich as light meals and for heavy meals I tried a steak w/baked potato and a 7oz (relatively small) chicken friend steak and potato also. Everything food killed it, even a lean BBQ sandwich. Obviously the cereal had the lesser effect but it still cut the strength by about 1/3 with one bowl and about 1/2 with two bowls.I even found that if I drink too much water it kills it also, so I started drinking about an inch of water out of a normal glass when I take the med and not drink anything else until at least 2 hours later. I also tried taking it with OJ and while it might had been the volume of the amount of OJ I drank it defiantly blocked the potency as well but that is a common reaction w/ Adderall which is very similar.

Your stomach has plenty of digestive enzymes empty or full. I wish there was a magic way to get this stuff to work better, other than just taking Adderall, but I don't think there is. According to internet science a 1 lean bbq sandwich should had helped a bit but if I eat it within the first hour it kills the potency by about 75%, 2 hours by about 50% and 3 hours doesn't seem to make a difference.

I dont appreciate your comment about what I said being uneducated, amateur science. I didnt say you must eat for it to work or that not eating makes it work better. I said that it at least begins to work once those juicy enzymes begin breaking it down. It does work differently than your standard amphetamine.

So, it makes sense that if you eat, the enzymes that you already have, get moving along a little quicker through the process of digestion. It makes sense that if your body is doing that because you ate, then encouraging that to happen by eating something can at least jumpstart the process.

I didnt say you must eat. You advised not to eat as if it was a better way to get the medication going. All I was pointing out was my experience through my kids and myself being on it.

I never stated that this was a scientifically proven theory. Just a suggestion but rest assured, I'll make sure that I dont give my uneducated amateur opinion anymore.

dvdnvwls
04-12-16, 04:28 PM
Sarah - I agree with your general point of view on this topic. However, it isn't just "enzymes" in general, but one particular enzyme - not even a stomach enzyme.

I have never seen convincing evidence that Vyvanse's effectiveness is affected by food; all I have is my own personal observation that not eating proper meals causes side effects to be worse for me.

I get the feeling that the manufacturer wishes to keep this information secret for some reason; otherwise, we would all know it by now.

Please, if anyone has hard scientific evidence on this one way or the other, please speak up.

QuasarMind
04-14-16, 04:40 PM
You said "Actually, vyvanse begins to do its magic once it reaches the gut so eating will jump start that process."

It is a urban legend with absolutely no information in the PI to support this nor have my extensive trials shown this.

I thought I might had had a stomach bug, but I got tested for everything including a "sample" and I'm clean. I haven't found a single thing to accelerate the Vyvanse, anything I put in my stomach more than about 1/3 cup of water dilutes the effectiveness of the drug. I am 300lbs but I am taking the 70mg.

I dont appreciate your comment about what I said being uneducated, amateur science. I didnt say you must eat for it to work or that not eating makes it work better. I said that it at least begins to work once those juicy enzymes begin breaking it down. It does work differently than your standard amphetamine.

So, it makes sense that if you eat, the enzymes that you already have, get moving along a little quicker through the process of digestion. It makes sense that if your body is doing that because you ate, then encouraging that to happen by eating something can at least jumpstart the process.

I didnt say you must eat. You advised not to eat as if it was a better way to get the medication going. All I was pointing out was my experience through my kids and myself being on it.

I never stated that this was a scientifically proven theory. Just a suggestion but rest assured, I'll make sure that I dont give my uneducated amateur opinion anymore.

Meteodan
04-29-16, 11:40 AM
For me, the main thing I have noticed regarding Vyvanse and food is that if I don't eat well in the morning (particularly if I don't have enough protein), side effects are worse, which if you think about it, isn't that surprising. I don't think I have ever noticed a difference in onset of action (I can almost set my watch by when it starts to take effect; within 60-75 min after taking it), effectiveness, or duration, though.

Little Nut
04-29-16, 12:33 PM
-SNIPPAGE-
hoping to get some pointers or tips. Was thinking of taking most of it in the morning like 50 mg and then the 20 in the afternoon. Again, i wish I could just feel that wonderful feeling of Vyvanse all day but that isn't going to happen. Any and all feedback is good. Thanks all!

Your Doc says 70mg/day Vyvanse is the max for you.
70 mg covers you for ~6 hrs.
Assume you want 12 hours.
If you want to stay on Vyvanse it comes down to do you think you could cut your dose in half and still get effective treatment for your symptoms. If not then I can't see how you're going to get 12 hour coverage w/ 70mg/day Vyvanse.
OTOH with a phrase like "wonderful feeling of Vyvanse" you may in fact be able to cut the dose in half and still get a therapeutic dose lasting for 6 hours that may be a little less "wonderful"
If it was me and the Vyvanse was effective but I couldn't cut the dose in half, I would discuss w/ the doc switching to Dexedrine. (My personal preference is IR, but....)
70mg Vyvanse is equivalent to ~28mg of dextroamphetamine sulfate (think I have the ratios correct). It will give you flexibility on dosing and "some" room to increase if needed.

My $0.02. Of course YMMV

Abcdef
04-29-16, 04:21 PM

I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss someone's opinion as uneducated science when "your" science isn't proving effective. For longer acting meds I feel that they are much more beneficial with food, but what works for me might not work for you.

Please, if anyone has hard scientific evidence on this one way or the other, please speak up.

That's the thing, there isn't any "hard" scientific evidence for any adhd meds, hence the reason people learn through trial and error.

QuasarMind
05-01-16, 09:58 PM
I think it's a bit unfair to dismiss someone's opinion as uneducated science when "your" science isn't proving effective. For longer acting meds I feel that they are much more beneficial with food, but what works for me might not work for you.

That's the thing, there isn't any "hard" scientific evidence for any adhd meds, hence the reason people learn through trial and error.

Yes, everyone is different, but when I do something one way 50+ times in a row with the same result, it's pretty clear that way is failing. I have been on Vyvanse for 5 months now and I've cheated my method plenty of times and also took on my 3 hour fast and I've never had a result outside my claims.

br3akingchains
05-12-16, 11:09 PM
I used to take vyvanse (and all other ADHD meds I've tried for that matter)in the morning with my coffee. I like my coffee with heavy cream, i like my sandwiches with cheese and butter in the morning, I also recently found out I've been lactose intolerant my whole life.

I also recently found out most people are lactose intolerant, some worse than others. I wonder how much medicine actually got absorbed while my body was trying to clean house in my intestines because I had been eating dairy every morning? Could I have directly affected how/how much my intestines can actually absorb when it comes to meds, vitamins and nutrients because I had been eating dairy all along?

I've tried fasting for a day or two and those are the days I feel the best!! I watch my weight and usually eat very healthy outside of fasting.

RedsHawk
05-29-16, 09:07 PM
That is an uneducated theory of amateur science. .......

was going to let this go especially since Sarah responded herself and is more than capable of self defense but hopefully you take this as the help it's intended to be.

You have very much the same mindset I once had. A very egotistical almost narcissistic point of view which is probably also tinted by incredible self doubt in many other areas.

I hope you continue to provide feedback based on your experiences but I hope you will refrain from such unnecessary attacks on people who have done wonders for others. Look at Sarah's "thanks" counts and track them back. so much great support from her over many years.

You might not have known how extremely out of line your response was but hopefully you learn from the experience as we are all learning in life.

and maybe ask your Psych-ologist-chiatrist to do a Narcissistic personality and/or disassociate personality evaluation. it could do you wonders in your personal interactions with everyone in your life.

but definitely keep up the support of others. it is so necessary that we stick together and share

RedsHawk
05-29-16, 09:12 PM

agreed. I think it also helps to moderate the ramp up as well. when I have a dose without food lately it seems it takes a little longer to kick in but I end up with heart flutters and a higher heart rate (I wear a garmin all day). If I have it with a protein rich meal it evens out the initial kick but that is just my experience over the last few weeks.

Little Nut
05-29-16, 10:44 PM
Just an observation: THe last activity by the OP was April 6, 16.

Jus' sayin'.......

C15H25N3O
05-30-16, 06:40 AM
In fact there is a peak of Vyvanses effectiveness after 3-4 hours.
Also the amphetamine level in the blood is slowly going down at
this time. If you wanna split Vyvanse you should take the split-dose
after 4 hours to give the level a small kick or in graphic words:
Give the fast rising arc of the Vyvanse plasma level diagramm
another peak. This works and should lengthen the effectiveness
for 4 hours.

But as Vyvanse is very clean, subtle and not as definated and
recognizable as pure dexamphetamine you must keep in mind
it is still working if you dont feel it anymore if there are no
side effects.

If there are side effects showing up after 4-5-6-7-8-9 hours
either the dose is too low or you have eaten what you should
not have eaten. I have my best and longest effectiveness without
any breakfast and lunch while drinking some cappuccino over
the day. If the dose is too high it becomes better after 4-5-6 hours.

This is no advice. Its just my personal experience while I would
definately have breakfast on pure dexamphetamines.