View Full Version : Another job, another disaster

traze23
04-06-16, 01:41 AM
I don't understand why I keep seeking call center positions? They include a lot of problem solving, comprehension skills, angry customers, disgruntled supervisors because of something I did. Everything I'm not good at it b/c of my ADD, but I decided to go for it again.

I've always struggled w/ call center and they are very stressful. I worked at a HD in college which actually went okay but it was part time and it took a while to get comfortable. Lots and lots of growing pain, I almost didn't make it. Then had another one in a call center of dept. store which also started badly but it was a temp.

Unfortunately, the position I have now is the worst. It's w/ a car dealership and we take calls and do some sales/ telemarketing. I was told you would answer some question but my primary responsibility is to set appointments for people who call, do some telemarketing but that was a lie. There are a lot of questions in regards to cars which I know nothing about, a lot different problems from customers need to get resolved, calculating quotes of vehicles which can be complicated(I sent wrong price and almost got fired two days ago), answering lease questions, I have a co-worker who nitpicks everything I do and keeps arguing with, etc.

I thought I hit rock bottom a few months ago b/c I couldn't find a job, but I am worst off now b/c this job is terrible, very stressful, and pay is horrible anyway. Most of people I work with are terrible and rude. I wake up and hate going to work everyday, I hate being there everyday. Everyday there is conflict w/ my coworker or issue with the person on the phone. I don't know why it took me so long to realize a call center job like this is not for me b/c of my ADD....no matter how easy it may sound. Maybe it's stubbornness or being in denial. Why do I keep putting myself through this.

KarmanMonkey
04-06-16, 02:42 PM
Sometimes I find I get into that pattern of being in jobs that I KNOW aren't suited to me because I attached my self worth to my paycheque.

For me, it was worth spending some time living in poverty working on myself, figuring out what job fit me, and to train and prepare for the job and the life I wanted, rather than scrambling for things that just satisfied the needs of the moment.

That being said, the living in poverty part wasn't by choice, but I'm glad of the change it sparked in me.

stef
04-06-16, 04:07 PM
maybe there was something about it you liked? or i mean the idea of "call center" *sounds* appealing. like you are attached to the concept somehow but the job actually sucks. its not stubborn its kind of hopeful.

Could you just quit if you can afford it financially ? because the job description is misleading in the first place and you're miserable there!

anonymouslyadd
04-06-16, 04:49 PM
Maybe because it's something you know and are familiar with? The chains of comfort are long and can destroy new opportunities and areas of personal growth. Make a list of pros and cons of the job and use the cons to know what to stay away from in your next job.

Pilgrim
04-06-16, 05:05 PM
Not to long ago I started working in a job that was basically false advertisement. It didn't go as planned.

traze23
04-07-16, 11:53 PM
As weird as it sounds, I honestly think I answered my own question in another thread. I think I keep going after these call center jobs b/c the job market is bad and it's one of the only few positions I'm qualified for and can do. I agree w//you KarmanMonkey, I need to stop going after things that only satisfy the needs of the moment. Stef, you're right, I think hope has a lot to do with it also. Being unemployed is bad enough or ready but when a company calls and wants to interview you, there's finally hope to get out of this misery.

traze23
04-08-16, 12:05 AM
maybe there was something about it you liked? or i mean the idea of "call center" *sounds* appealing. like you are attached to the concept somehow but the job actually sucks. its not stubborn its kind of hopeful.

Could you just quit if you can afford it financially ? because the job description is misleading in the first place and you're miserable there!

You know what, although I'm going through a lot right now including health issues, I'm actually fortunate enough to still live w/ my parents and not have to worry about rent. I want to wait just a few more weeks and see if I can find another job but I can guarantee you this is my last call center job.

TheGreatKing
04-08-16, 01:18 AM
You know what, although I'm going through a lot right now including health issues, I'm actually fortunate enough to still live w/ my parents and not have to worry about rent. I want to wait just a few more weeks and see if I can find another job but I can guarantee you this is my last call center job.

I hope that's a promise he he:)
Go get something better tiger ;)
Well i am glad you are being responsible about it , i know adhd in you just wants to run, happens to me all the time.

WildCard7
04-21-16, 06:00 AM
I would take a long hard look at what you are good at. We are all different, even those with ADHD. I work in security and look at difficult people as a challenge. Sometimes I do well, other times not so much. Other people with ADHD wouldn't fit well in my job though.

Have you spoke with someone, maybe a professional or even taken a personality quiz to determine your strengths and weaknesses?

I used to work for Convergys (a customer service company) and HATED it. I was happy when they fired me. I learned from there that I needed a job where I could move around, and I liked to talk to people but was stuck using their client's script which sucked because there were times it wouldn't let me fix their problem. I think I subconsciously self destructed on that job.

Without it, and the pain of being there I wouldn't have learned what I want. Which it sounds like that is where you are.

My point in all that is look at this job, find the attributes you don't like. Find your strengths and start looking for jobs that are minus your current jobs weaknesses and plus on your personal strengths.

traze23
04-23-16, 01:42 AM
I would take a long hard look at what you are good at. We are all different, even those with ADHD. I work in security and look at difficult people as a challenge. Sometimes I do well, other times not so much. Other people with ADHD wouldn't fit well in my job though.

Have you spoke with someone, maybe a professional or even taken a personality quiz to determine your strengths and weaknesses?

I used to work for Convergys (a customer service company) and HATED it. I was happy when they fired me. I learned from there that I needed a job where I could move around, and I liked to talk to people but was stuck using their client's script which sucked because there were times it wouldn't let me fix their problem. I think I subconsciously self destructed on that job.

Without it, and the pain of being there I wouldn't have learned what I want. Which it sounds like that is where you are.

My point in all that is look at this job, find the attributes you don't like. Find your strengths and start looking for jobs that are minus your current jobs weaknesses and plus on your personal strengths.

I have not spoken to a professional about this. You know what's funny is I'm in a position I have to use a script also. You're right they do suck and are also horrible. Call center positions are hard enough or ready b/c they require a lot of problem solving but now I also have to follow a script and stick w. it no matter what?

The unfortunate thing is I've had a couple of call center positions and most have gone terrible but I keep applying for them. No matter how they turn out, they are still very stressful positions...problem solving, confusion, angry customers, etc. everyday. But I've had enough and this is the last one. Not only that but it is also bad for my health, my blood pressure is usually around 130 or 140.