View Full Version : Dexedrine strength

houseofadhd
04-06-16, 08:15 PM
I'm still pretty new to meds and tend to have strong reactions to things, so am trying to figure out what to expect when I start dex. (Yes, I know it's totally individual.) I had decent luck with adderall, but it made my heart race so I'm trying dex to see if I can get more effect with less side effect. However, I've read some posts where people mention dex being stronger, so I'm wondering if switching from 5 mg of one to 5 mg of the other is OK or if that has the potential to be too much. Anything else I should know?

Greyhound1
04-06-16, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't worry about Dex. feeling stronger than Adderall. Most find it to be similar with smoother and less side effects. Dex. doesn't have levoamp. which stimulates the nervous system like Adderall.

Basically. Adderall is 3 parts dextroamphetamine to 1 part levoamphetamine.
They are similar but most find Adderall to have more of a physical kick.

I also switched from Adderall to Dex and was prescribed the same dosage. The levoamp. in Adderall caused me anxiety when wearing off and some heart palpitations. I have had no problem with any side effects on Dex.

houseofadhd
04-06-16, 09:52 PM
Great. I have a 4 hour neuroanatomy class tomorrow, which is much more tolerable on meds than off, but I didn't want to throw in something that could possibly make it worse.

Little Nut
04-06-16, 10:00 PM
If you're switching from 5 mg/day Adderall to 5 mg/day dexedrine you won't (shouldn't) notice much of a difference. Adderall is ~3/4 dexedrine. For higher doses you would expect the Adderall to show more peripheral nervous system stimulation than the dexedrine.

Based on all the articles and forum posts on the net, it seems that You, the individual, has the most to do with the effects of these 2 drugs in treating your condition.

So IOW the bottom line is YMMV.

LN

Greyhound1
04-06-16, 10:02 PM
Great. I have a 4 hour neuroanatomy class tomorrow, which is much more tolerable on meds than off, but I didn't want to throw in something that could possibly make it worse.

Best wishes, let us know how it goes.

sarahsweets
04-07-16, 02:13 AM
IMO dex would be less strong because it does not contain the levoamphetamine that adderall does.

houseofadhd
04-07-16, 02:13 PM
Obviously I have to give it a few days, but this has potential to work. No crazy side effects except mildly increased heart rate when wearing off. Definitely better focus than unmedicated but without the "I'M TAKING MEDICATION" feeling of Adderall. It wore off faster than Adderall did, but I'll figure out the right timing for booster doses over time. Probably makes sense to adjust to a single dose before I start trying to add in a booster or anything for the afternoon, right? Figuring out the balance of enough coverage plus ability to sleep is tricky.

Naussicaa
04-08-16, 07:39 PM
Dexedrine feels weaker than Adderall. To put it into perspective, Adderall is like driving a stripped out racing car, and Dexedrine is like driving a luxury vehicle at the same speed. Less side effects yes, less helpful effects as well. If you take too little, you will likely fall asleep, which almost never happens with Adderall. You will have to take more to get more out of it.

Little Missy
04-08-16, 09:24 PM
Dexedrine feels weaker than Adderall. To put it into perspective, Adderall is like driving a stripped out racing car, and Dexedrine is like driving a luxury vehicle at the same speed. Less side effects yes, less helpful effects as well. If you take too little, you will likely fall asleep, which almost never happens with Adderall. You will have to take more to get more out of it.

I take these Adderall naps, well, only one a day but it is dead out 15 minutes or so and then wake up bolt upright raring to go. Usually the best sleep I ever have.

Jenn1202
04-10-16, 03:13 AM
I felt like Adderall was stronger, but it doesn't work the same way for everyone. I would start from a lower dose of Dex and up it if it isn't effective (you can get 5 mg pills and cut them in half to get 2.5). I went from 5 mg to 2.5 and slowly upped it to 5mg because lower doses weren't effective enough. I still feel like 5mg Adderall worked better than 5 mg Dex (I switched because of the horrible side effects I had on Adderall..).

Sickle
04-13-16, 04:19 PM
I am hyper and I thing Dexedrine is better than Adderall or Desoxyn because those two don't calm me down at all. Adderall made me feel wired and Desoxyn at 60 mg didn't feel like anything but a diet pill but was not useful at all. I take 60 mg/day though but I have been on it for years.