View Full Version : Daytrana shortage.

Castleton Snob
04-06-16, 09:50 PM
According to the Daytrana site, there's a shortage of all strengths of Daytrana, but it was last updated on February 3rd. Has anyone had trouble finding Daytrana?

My mom recently contacted the doctor for more. What if they can't find any?

I really don't wanna go even a day without my patch.

namazu
04-06-16, 10:01 PM
Did you already have trouble filling the prescription, or are you worried in advance that they won't have it?

I remember that there was a shortage last year (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172455). I think they had the same message on their website then -- I wonder if they just haven't updated their site, or if there's still/again a shortage?

If it's a new shortage and (per the note on the website) they expect it to last until the third quarter of this year (around September), then you may run into problems. If they just haven't updated the website, then there may be nothing to worry about.

Castleton Snob
04-06-16, 10:04 PM
Did you already have trouble filling the prescription, or are you worried in advance that they won't have it?

I remember that there was a shortage last year (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172455). I think they had the same message on their website then -- I wonder if they just haven't updated their site, or if there's still/again a shortage?

If it's a new shortage and (per the note on the website) they expect it to last until the third quarter of this year (around September), then you may run into problems. If they just haven't updated the website, then there may be nothing to worry about.

I'm worried in advance.

A couple of sites said that Daytrana currently has a shortage, and is expected to end in late April.

Could I take something else until then?

namazu
04-06-16, 10:08 PM
If you are unable to get Daytrana patches, then your doctor could prescribe another form of methylphenidate for you to take, either a pill or a liquid.

Castleton Snob
04-06-16, 10:10 PM
Do I have to worry about withdrawals?

Or will I just feel weird because I'm used to using a patch?

namazu
04-06-16, 10:17 PM
No, there shouldn't be any withdrawal if you switch from Daytrana to another form of methylphenidate.

It may take a little bit of adjusting-to, because pills or liquid methylphenidate don't last as long as the patch generally does. You'll need to work with your doctor to find a dosing schedule that gives you the coverage you need as smoothly as possible.

Don't panic -- you'll get through it!

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 07:07 AM
It might not last as long as a patch, but it's better than nothing, right? Then I can just switch when the shortage is over.

I'm thinking about choosing Concertra, since I only have to take it once a day.

Are there any other ADHD meds that you only have to take once a day?

I have enough patches to last until Wednesday. Do you think my pharmacy will find some?

namazu
04-07-16, 12:53 PM
It might not last as long as a patch, but it's better than nothing, right? Then I can just switch when the shortage is over.
Yes, it should be, and it should be easy to switch back.

I'm thinking about choosing Concertra, since I only have to take it once a day.

Are there any other ADHD meds that you only have to take once a day?
Concerta could be a good choice. There are also Ritalin LA and Aptensio, both of which are long-acting medications in pill form that use slightly different release mechanisms, and Quillivant XR, which is a liquid. If cost is an important issue, both Concerta and Ritalin LA should be available in generic versions. (Possibly also Metadate CD or Methylin ER, also pills...I forget...but there are a number of generic long-acting methylphenidate meds available.)

Most of these medications do not seem to last quite as long as advertised for most people, and if that's an issue, there may be workarounds. But I wouldn't worry about that until/unless you find it's an issue.

I have enough patches to last until Wednesday. Do you think my pharmacy will find some?
I have no way of knowing, but I hope so! And if they don't have it, they may be able to call around to find a pharmacy that still has some in stock.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 12:57 PM
Should I wait until my pharmacy replies whether or not they have patches?

The lady from the Pharmacy Locator number said it's expected to last until the third quarter of this year. So, either it's solved by the end of this month, or until July-September.

namazu
04-07-16, 01:01 PM
Should I wait until my pharmacy replies whether or not they have patches?

The lady from the Pharmacy Locator number said it's expected to last until the third quarter of this year.
That's what the website says, too -- so I guess it is another current shortage. That's frustrating!

FYI, you can report drug shortages to the FDA here (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm142398.htm).

If you're seeing your doctor soon, you might see if s/he's willing to write a prescription for a long-acting pill or liquid that you could fill if the Daytrana is unavailable, so that you don't have a gap in your treatment.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 01:05 PM
I see my doctor sometime in the next three months.

What do I do? What if I can't get a prescription for something to substitute for Daytrana?

namazu
04-07-16, 01:13 PM
I see my doctor sometime in the next three months.

What do I do? What if I can't get a prescription for something to substitute for Daytrana?
Your doctor should understand if there is a shortage, and be willing to work with you to ensure that your treatment isn't interrupted.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 01:15 PM
It's been almost 2 days, and I haven't heard anything yet from the pharmacy.

namazu
04-07-16, 01:18 PM
It's been almost 2 days, and I haven't heard anything yet from the pharmacy.
Have you dropped off the prescription yet? Some pharmacies are hesitant to disclose information about controlled substances until/unless they have an actual prescription in front of them.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 01:23 PM
Have you dropped off the prescription yet? Some pharmacies are hesitant to disclose information about controlled substances until/unless they have an actual prescription in front of them.

My dad got the prescription, and gave it to the pharmacy.

namazu
04-07-16, 03:02 PM
I don't know what the regulations are in Texas, but in some states, the pharmacy has to let you know if they can't fill a prescription within a few days, and give the prescription back to you if they can't fill it within that time frame.

If the pharmacy can't fill the Daytrana script, then they should return it to you so that you can either try other pharmacies, or go back to the doc and swap it for a new prescription for a long-acting pill or liquid form of methylphenidate.

It could be that your Daytrana patches are sitting on a shelf waiting to be picked up, or it could be that the pharmacy is trying to get some patches, or it could be that they're out. In any case, it would be nice if they returned your call...

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 03:04 PM
Then what do I do? Just wait?

namazu
04-07-16, 03:08 PM
I guess you could try calling them back, or (perhaps better) going to the pharmacy to ask about it.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 03:17 PM
What if they don't reply by today or tomorrow?

namazu
04-07-16, 03:28 PM
Then I would go in person. That way, they have to answer you, and if they can't fill your prescription, they can at least return it to you.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 03:42 PM
Then I would go in person. That way, they have to answer you, and if they can't fill your prescription, they can at least return it to you.

OK, I called them, and they said they have to manually order them. They said they should get some in 4 days.

namazu
04-07-16, 03:53 PM
Glad to hear they're expecting to get it in stock soon!

If the pharmacy locator hotline person is right about there being a shortage that may last until late this year, it might be helpful to discuss having a "Plan B" with your doctor at your next appointment (or sooner, by phone?). That way, if you can't get Daytrana next month, or the month after, you won't have to worry about what to do all over again or have to go too long without meds.

Castleton Snob
04-07-16, 06:04 PM
I'm just worried about whether they meant including Saturday and Sunday, or just weekdays.

Castleton Snob
04-08-16, 02:10 PM
Sorry to double post, but what if they don't have Daytrana on Wednesday?