View Full Version : concerta didn't work for me

diabcoo
04-08-16, 03:29 PM
HI everyone
this is my 4th day on concerta 36 mg and still felling no effect at all .... after being diagnosed with adhd my doctor gave me straterra for 6 weeks and I felt no effect at all so he switched me to concerta 36 and I've read a lot about stimulant drugs and how effective they are so I was so enthusiastic for trying concerta as it will act immediaately and helping me in my studying and in my work as I'm so inattentive , but unfortunately no meds worked for me till now . what should I do cause I'm feeling so down now ?
FYO ... concerta is the only stimulant drug found here ?

Roundmouth
04-08-16, 05:20 PM
You shouldn't expect to feel anything on 36. 54 - 72 seems to be more common. I'm on 90, 54 in the morning, 36 at noon. Notice some effect, may be needing more. Some people need a lot more, 144 - 162, read about a guy who got effect at more than 300.

And there are other substances. Concerta is methylphenidate, a 'dirty' drug, while amphetamine is usually considered more 'clean'.

The effect of stimulants comes at once when starting, that's true. But it's probably also a pedagogic process learning how to make use of it. Activating parts of the brain that's been idle. Calmness came 'free' already on 18, but I became very tired. Focus became easier for me at 54 and it came 'free'. Now I still hope to learn how to use the effect for other things like motivation. But I'll probably need to learn that. Or change to amphetamine.

diabcoo
04-09-16, 06:33 AM
You shouldn't expect to feel anything on 36. 54 - 72 seems to be more common. I'm on 90, 54 in the morning, 36 at noon. Notice some effect, may be needing more. Some people need a lot more, 144 - 162, read about a guy who got effect at more than 300.

And there are other substances. Concerta is methylphenidate, a 'dirty' drug, while amphetamine is usually considered more 'clean'.

The effect of stimulants comes at once when starting, that's true. But it's probably also a pedagogic process learning how to make use of it. Activating parts of the brain that's been idle. Calmness came 'free' already on 18, but I became very tired. Focus became easier for me at 54 and it came 'free'. Now I still hope to learn how to use the effect for other things like motivation. But I'll probably need to learn that. Or change to amphetamine.

thanks a lot for that and I will try to increase my dose but what do you mean by saying " Concerta is methylphenidate, a 'dirty' drug, while amphetamine is usually considered more 'clean'."

BustaIrish
08-17-16, 07:54 PM
I came off Concerta after 5 weeks due to horrible anxiety (never had previous ) and also depression, which i think concerta was responsible for. the problem is we are all different so what works for me may not work for someone else . currently deciding on strattera or maybe giving up all hope on medication :) thats how concerta has made me feel.

aeon
08-17-16, 09:13 PM
The dextro- levo- aspect of methylphenidate does not present in the same way as an amphetamine, so I think calling racemic methylphenidate a dirty drug is inaccurate and misleading.

Cheers,
Ian

Mario84
08-24-16, 09:49 AM
Yes, calling methylphenidate "dirty" is misleading, as many people will interpret that in different ways. I think what he is saying is that the effects of methylphenidate can be explained as more of a "bumpy road" than amphetamines. Amphetamines provide a more clean, long-lasting and straight-lined sensation, whilst methylphenidate might be a bit raw or rough around the edges. It's hard to explain. It's not really in a bad way either. Many people prefer methylphenidate regardless. I do. I also think amphetamines cleaner feel is misleading, as my impression is that it's actually harder on the body and may lead to worse problems, potentially that is. Just work with your doctor on this issue and first ask him/her about the possibility of being prescribed higher dosses.