View Full Version : Has anyone tried Vayarin?

Mom23kids
04-11-16, 12:55 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I was hoping for some help and advice regarding medications for my 7 yr old son. He was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD in October of this year. He has a lot of trouble focusing and fidgeting but was getting by in school. I was the one who approached the teacher due to what I saw in sports and at home and started the process from there. He started vyvanse 20mg and it worked extremely well as far as getting him to focus and get things done however he became a different kid. He was serious all the time and seemed sad. We tried Adderol (sp?) but he complained that his heart was always beating heavy and fast. We then went back to Vyvanse at 10 mg and it was perfect but recently he started having trouble focusing again so we went up to 20mg. So far so good but I'm concerned he going to continue needing a higher and higher dose. His pediatrician suggested trying Vayarin which is a natural supplement for treating ADHD symptoms. Has anyone tried it? I'd love to hear about other parents experiences with both Vyvanse and Vayarin. Thanks so much! This is all so overwhelming for me.

caretothepeople
04-12-16, 09:22 AM
It might be helpful to call up the doctor and talk more about what to expect so you're aware and can figure out if something is amiss. Mayo Clinic and PsychCentral have some good ideas for questions to ask, like:

How soon will I see an improvement?
How often do you have to take the medicine?
How will the decision be made to stop it?
What are the side effects of the medicine?
Are there ways to minimize these side effects?
How do you monitor this medication? Are there specific tests you run to help monitor this medication?
What will happen if we miss a dose?
How will we know when itís time to stop taking this medication, or if the dose will need to be changed?

Hope this helps!!

-MW

CrazyLazyGal
04-27-16, 11:26 AM
20mg is still a really low dose of Vyvanse. If it's helping him then I would definitely continue it until at least the end of the school year. Lots of kids take medication breaks in the summer. The decision needs to be made on a case by case basis.

I looked up Vayarin and the site I saw says it's actually a prescription. Is that right?

If it's not a prescription, be careful because sometimes supplements contain things that aren't listed. A couple years ago there was a supplement for arthritis that actually contained two prescription drugs. There have been cases of athletes testing positive for steroids because their supplements actually contained steroids, and they didn't know that.