View Full Version : Does Strattera kill sexdrive on....

Robin.B.P
04-11-16, 03:17 PM
All males?Thinking about asking my doc to add Strattera to Dex since its not enough. Any thoughts about that?

kleinquantum
04-13-16, 02:07 PM
Absolutely obliterated mine.
It also limited the amount of fluids that are expelled afterwards...

Apparently this is a common side effect for both female and male. Most of these medications effect sexual functions in one way or another.

If you move on to a different med you will run into the same problems. I've been on Ritalin, Adderall, Adderall XR and now Strattara. All of these meds effected my sex drive. With the only light is that your body will eventually combat these side effects.

I feel you. Right now my drive is so altered that I'm choosing to not act on it. I'm just doing basic exercises to keep in shape and will adress this issue when I have time too.

Until then. Like most people with our illness. I have way to many things going on in life; way to many things to plan and look forward too that sex is so minimal right now. In fact I believe my sex life will become more rewarding after my scattered life is travelling straight ahead.

Good luck. I have friends that would literally become depressed if they had to deny their sex life/drive. As for some... delayed gratification will pay off huge I feel.

Good luck. And keep pushing until the unwanted side effects wear off!!!

Robin.B.P
04-14-16, 04:15 PM
Thank you, after Dex stopped working somehow my sexlife skyrocket. My Doc have put me on max dosage(Dex/Metamina 40mg). It dose not help at all, sometimes less is better so i am taking med. break right now.
I am going back to her the 12 mai, if it dont work she will change my med for something else.
She also asked me to try Seroquel since i have been on it before, stupid women. I said no way in hell!

Bouncingoffwall
04-15-16, 06:24 PM
That's odd, stimulants are known to INCREASE sex drive. Strattera nearly chemically neutered me, and did absolutely nothing for my ADHD symptoms. It did make me want to punch people!

Robin.B.P
04-15-16, 09:47 PM
After Dex didn't work I was back to my hyper sex, it's really sad. Without meds I only think on sex all the day, I can't get enough. And if I see pretty women we'll that's even harder. And I am 45 and behave like I am 20....ouch.

kleinquantum
04-15-16, 09:54 PM
That's odd, stimulants are known to INCREASE sex drive. Strattera nearly chemically neutered me, and did absolutely nothing for my ADHD symptoms. It did make me want to punch people!

Yes.
But there is a differenice between wanting to act on your desires VS the potency and quantity and quality of your release....
For me it was and is a negitive. Maybe your genetically capable of handling the medications well. But for me. It's a completely selfish act if my partner is going to notice that my medications is weakening my potency yet increases my desire... it's like... what's in it for her/him you know?

Just how I feel. Again. Maybe you don't and won't have these side effects. But this does happen. Happened to me anyway.

aeon
04-15-16, 10:10 PM
I once asked my doctor why he never suggested or prescribed Strattera/atomoxetine for me.

He said “First, because it never worked for anyone I prescribed it for, and second, I know
at this point you won’t continue therapy with a medication if it has negative sexual effects,
so there’s no point in it really.”

“Plus,” he added “your ADHD is severe enough that I didn’t want to waste your time with
something ineffectual.”

Cheers,
Ian

kleinquantum
04-16-16, 07:37 PM
I once asked my doctor why he never suggested or prescribed Strattera/atomoxetine for me.

He said “First, because it never worked for anyone I prescribed it for, and second, I know
at this point you won’t continue therapy with a medication if it has negative sexual effects,
so there’s no point in it really.”

“Plus,” he added “your ADHD is severe enough that I didn’t want to waste your time with
something ineffectual.”

Cheers,
Ian

I feel you. All things considered I do not feel that Strattera is doing much for me. But because I have a history of addiction due to alcoholism my doctor wants to try non stimulants first. Personally when I have my next meeting I will request to be removed off Strattara and try something else.

I have had great success with Adderall but because of its stigma I doubt my doctor will prescribe it to me. Personally I want to switch to Vyvanse or Concerta. I feel more side effects on Strattera and it doesn't help to much or at all. BUT I understand that finding the perfect match isn't want the patient wants but needs... So I'm willing to beat around the bush and go around the block a couple of times IF that means eventually the right med will be found. Anyway sorry for hijacking the post.

Meteodan
04-29-16, 11:13 AM
Strattera worked great for me; within days my ADHD symptoms were almost completely gone. Unfortunately it gave me some very bizarre, even painful, sexual side effects.

I'm waiting and hoping that someone comes up with something like Strattera without those nasty side effects, because I for one would be willing to try it. My current combo of Vyvanse and Intuniv works well enough for now, but I just remember how different and better I felt on Strattera (mentally at least). On the other hand, it was the first ADHD medication I was on, though, so part of me wonders how much of that was just feeling the contrast with my ADHD-self for the first time.

QuasarMind
05-16-16, 04:00 AM
As a guy, when I took Strattera, I didn't find it had much of an effect on ultimate performance, but it did slow the conclusion process to a dribble but it lasted a bit longer than normal which had its own tradeoff. If I were trying to conceive, shoot an adult movie (never tried) or otherwise show off final force, it all would had been a failure.

Strattera turned out to be a failure after several months, I went on to as needed Provigil after and I don't recall any sexual differences nor did I pay attention, but when I realized my condition was severe enough I needed to try a stimulant, my doctor was super excited to do so, almost in relief, he gave me twice daily dextro. I forget the MG but he gave me variable dosing guidelines to determine proper dosage myself. Unfortunately it wasn't as effective for ADD as I wanted but I was hoping to have some of the hypersexual side effects I had read about, which were completely non existent. When my two week supply was out, I asked if I could try Adderall instead of dextro and he gave me 30mg XR, which worked very well. I eventually settled on a split dose of 20/10mg Adderall IR. I still to this day, dextro, Adderall or Vyvanse haven't noticed any sexual side effects positive or negative, but in general I'm more content/clear with everything at any given moment on the meds so in the end such experiences are better on the stimulants than off.