View Full Version : Do you maybe have ADHD & Asperger's Syndrome!?

argentvortex
04-12-16, 01:26 AM
So, I definitely have ADHD, probably predominantly inattentive type, but lately my psychiatrist has been considering the possibility that I may also have some form of asperger's syndrome or possibly something similar like schizoid personality disorder (which is not as bad as it sounds.) This could very likely go a long way toward explaining a lot of my frequent isolation and my lack of interest in social norms.

I'm actually a little excited by this new possible diagnosis because I'm always interested in learning more about myself. I want to meet other people who also may possibly have a combination of ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome! If you suspect in any way that this might include you, please comment or just say hi below!
:)

Gilthranon
04-12-16, 02:47 AM
It's not as bad as it sounds. There are awesome people with ADHD and bad*ss mo fu's with Aspergers and Schizoid ! And there is you vortex ! And you may happen to have any of those (or none and be from another universe) and all the reasons to get excited. I don't have Aspergers or Schizoid, unfortunately can't be of assistance, but we're both equally fascinating creatures.

Hi below

Roundmouth
04-12-16, 02:53 AM
I don't officially have the combination but possibly. Very likely I think. Diagnosed ADHD more inattentive than hyperactive. Autistic traits but not enough for an actual diagnosis. But I personally think there seem to be a lot more than occasional traits. This combination can hide some traits and expose others. I'd actually say that sometimes one compensates for the other - and on the other side one problem can add to an other. Specifically social life. I do have some kind of communicational difficulty, and lack of concentration makes it even harder. And yes, I've been thinking about schizoid personality disorder too.

argentvortex
04-12-16, 10:08 AM
I really appreciate your replies, guys! Sorry to hear you also struggle socially, roundmouth. I can relate.
It is really annoying having multiple issues. The complications are just endless.

Roundmouth
04-12-16, 03:25 PM
The social bit is no mega problem. In informal controlled situations I can function well. The problem is I don't have energy to maintain my focus, but stimulants will probably help. The basic problem with understanding social play won't be affected, but that's not really a problem, I don't engage in other people informally and emotionally. Friendship, intimacy and that kind of things. Schizoid you know - not as bad as it sounds...!

Fortune
04-12-16, 03:27 PM
I am diagnosed with both ADHD and autism spectrum disorder.

I find stimulants help with a lot of things but in some ways I think I come across as more autistic when I am taking them. That said, I'd still prefer to take them than not.

ginniebean
04-12-16, 07:41 PM
I've considered I might have a form of autism but I don't see the point of diagnosis. I don't think it could change anything. My nephew who is so very much like me is diagnosed autistic/aspergers.

Cyllya
04-13-16, 12:53 AM
I used to have a lot of autism-style social problems but several of my interests have coincidentally led to me doing a lot of studying and self-training in ways that probably caused me to improve way more than I naturally would have. I still have problems, but it's very minor compared to most people with autism, and I don't meet the diagnostic criteria. (But seriously, after all this training, I should be some kind of social genius by now. The fact that I still have this many problems says something about how naturally untalented I am in this area.)

It seems there's a lot of overlap between ASD and ADHD, even though it doesn't seem like it if you just look at the diagnostic criteria.

If your psychiatrist is wondering between ASD and Schizoid PD, you're probably an introvert, so look that up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion) if you haven't already. (The actual definition of introversion, it's not some weird euphemism for social anxiety.) Heck, if you live a place that has high levels of extraversion, you have to worry about people pathologizing introversion.

Roundmouth
04-13-16, 02:41 AM
It seems to be rather common that people with ADHD have certain personality traits that would generally be regarded as autistic. When I became aware of that, I thought that would be sufficient explaination for my weirdness, but the thought come back, especially as I notice that there are things that's not effected by stimulants.

Somewhere it was said that more severe ADHD tends to overlap autism spectrum. Perhaps it's all just different symptoms on the same spectrum.

shinkansen1966
04-14-16, 08:33 AM
I am diagnosed with both ADHD and autism spectrum disorder.

I find stimulants help with a lot of things but in some ways I think I come across as more autistic when I am taking them. That said, I'd still prefer to take them than not.

You're not alone with your thinking.

Like you, I am diagnosed with ADHD and ASD (autism spectrum disorder). The ADHD diagnosis came first and the medication to go with it. The autism spectrum diagnosis was a year later.

Taking the ADHD medication does provide some calm and focus. But it also makes me feel socially withdrawn, so I also think is to do with the autism.