View Full Version : Paper

Windhelm
04-12-16, 06:21 PM
Does anyone else here gave issues with the feel of paper? Such a common part of everyday life. I personally loathe touching paper. Something about it, it is too dry.

Alas, my job has me working with a great deal of paper each day. I must keep my hands well lotioned in order to tolerate it.

Some types are worse than others. Glossy paper causes minimal bother. Printer paper - no likey. That ultra thin, weird paper used in Bibles: the worst.

aeon
04-12-16, 07:44 PM
I donít know if I have issues with it, but I care a lot about it.

My favorite papers are matte, not even silk, but matte.

Some heavy (>270gsm) gloss papers can be OK, but I loathe stuff like 120gsm gloss text.
It feels bad, looks bad, is bad...to me.

Uncoated stock can be just fine if it is decent quality, but the lower-end stuff feels awful,
and yes, will dry your hands in a heartbeat.

Crap paper is crap paper, but the high-end stuff is always a pleasure, regardless of the finish.

Oh, and laid and wove stocks can give me the heebie-jeebies when I touch them.

Stuff with titanium dioxide can be OK if the binder is good, but I hate the stuff with UV agents
in them because the base stock is usually crap...you canít polish a turd.

I love matte cover with aqueous coating and a soft-touch varnish...feels like velvet. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
04-12-16, 09:01 PM
I hate touching paper except for that yellowish thick manila paper.

TheGreatKing
04-13-16, 01:25 AM
I don't have that hatred for touching paper :p

Windhelm
04-15-16, 10:16 AM
I seriously wish paper didn't bother me so much. Obviously I get over it, or else I wouldn't be able to work the job I do. The funny thing is, the place I work at strives to become "paperless" but there is a laughable amount of paper in the place!

It doesn't help that most of the older employees are computer illiterate, so paper stays so they can work. I can't count the number of times I've been asked to troubleshoot their computer issues (when I am working at night especially, and it costs the company a ton to call in the tech guy to come in). One of of these days, I'm going to shrug my shoulders and say fixing the computers isn't my job, unless they wish to pay me accordingly for the service.