View Full Version : Anxiety or something more serious????

traze23
04-13-16, 12:07 AM
So last Friday, an employee ticked me off by something he said and his actions that followed. This is someone I've been having problems with for months. But of course, I don't defend myself(I never do, never did) b/c IDK how to and I hate conflict. Just seems I'm still angry and bitter after that episode but I don't want to be.

Since that episode, I've been having tension in my chest, head and stomach, blood rushing down my head and chest, irregular heartbeat, trouble getting deep breaths. I'm thinking about going to the ER tomorrow....but wait now I have to deal w/ medical bills. God, life is so good!!!!!

Might be weird question for here but does this sound like an episode of a stressor that leads to anxiety or something more serious?

KarmanMonkey
04-13-16, 10:44 AM
It's good that you're getting yourself checked out; it could be anxiety/panic but it could also be a spike in blood pressure or even something more serious.

Anger and anxiety are a nasty mix because avoiding confrontation leaves the anger to fester.

If you aren't prepared to confront the person directly, take some notes of what they did and how it affected you, and seek help. If you have an HR department, manager, or some workplaces even have people who specialize in conflict resolution...

Since you've traditionally avoided conflict, it's not something you'd likely be skilled at right away, so it makes sense to get support for the process.

Jiberish
04-20-16, 10:17 AM
I work in the ER. It would be valuable to make sure nothing else is going on. It very well could just be anxiety (in fact I've been in for it 2 times). They will run some blood tests, probably to an EKG, chest x-ray and just rule out some major things. But again, you dont know unless you go.

As for the anger. You have the right to not work in a hostile work invironment. I have also dealt with this. It doesnt help anxiety trust me! I would talk to HR, or supervisor, and see what solutions can be done.

KarmanMonkey
04-22-16, 02:24 PM
I've read about a cardiologist with a long standing anxiety disorder. He died of a heart attack at work because he couldn't tell the difference between anxiety/panic and a heart attack, so continued to do his job until he collapsed and died.

Moral of the story, even if you're used to anxiety/panic, it's good to get checked out from time to time, 'cause if a cardiologist can't tell the difference, how can we be expected to?

sarahsweets
04-23-16, 08:37 AM
So last Friday, an employee ticked me off by something he said and his actions that followed. This is someone I've been having problems with for months. But of course, I don't defend myself(I never do, never did) b/c IDK how to and I hate conflict. Just seems I'm still angry and bitter after that episode but I don't want to be.
The best advice I can give you when 'defending' yourself is to settle boundaries. Defending implies that there is something wrong or off about what you did or said. Boundaries are just ways of protecting yourself. You dont owe anyone an explaination.

Since that episode, I've been having tension in my chest, head and stomach, blood rushing down my head and chest, irregular heartbeat, trouble getting deep breaths. I'm thinking about going to the ER tomorrow....but wait now I have to deal w/ medical bills. God, life is so good!!!!!

Might be weird question for here but does this sound like an episode of a stressor that leads to anxiety or something more serious?
Maybe Im not seeing this the right way but to it makes sense. You felt bad about not defending yourself. You may question if you were wrong. It upsets you for a variety of reasons and you cant let it go. I can understand the anxiety.