View Full Version : Confessions

InvitroCanibal
04-13-16, 02:41 AM
I don't know how to talk about myself anymore because so much of my time is focused on my job.

With hyper focus, all I think about is my work. I'm finding it isolating though and I am wondering if any other hyper focusers out there know of a solution to over come work obsessive hyper focus?

I feel like my passion for my job overall has made me lose touch with people.

TurtleBrain
04-13-16, 05:53 AM
What is your job? Is there a way you can include people in it?

I dunno, maybe join or start a fanclub about what you obsess about :p

sarahsweets
04-13-16, 06:21 AM
I think alot of adhd people,myself included have that all or nothing mentality. Like when we are into something or have a job that we are good at, we have to give it our all to the point where we are spending our off time thinking about the job, and what we need to do the next day and even doing some work at home off the clock. Its just my opinion. Its similar to how I feel with overwhelming tasks like cleaning up a giant mess in my laundry room or stacks of mail. Its like if I cant get it done in one day I'd rather say f**k it Ill do it tomorrow, or I wont stop. I needed to find some paperwork yesterday and the shelves in my laundry room had boxes of paper in addition to stored water, tools, stuipid crap like nail stuff and books. I began looking for what I needed and ended up spending three hours and 4 huge bags of trash. Now what I should have done was find the papers and worked on that but I suddenly decided I needed to go further. It was like hyperfocus autopilot.

KarmanMonkey
04-13-16, 10:26 AM
Working in a similar job to yours, I HAVE to find a way to shut off the work brain.

For me, having some time dedicated to "switching gears" at the beginning and end of the day is highly important. I actually posted last year about the problems created when we bought a house close to work and suddenly my nice commute was cut in half, giving me less time for my work brain to shut off.

A few things I do on my way home:

Video games (phone)
Audio books
Music
Mindfully taking in nature

It also helps to have an end-of-the-day routine... Gear yourself down.

As far as what to do when you're at home, carrot works better than stick. Find something to do that you enjoy. If you're able, find a hobby or an activity that's a little social (for me it's board games) Being around people helps force your brain out of work mode.

Pilgrim
06-07-16, 06:39 PM
I don't know how to talk about myself anymore because so much of my time is focused on my job.

With hyper focus, all I think about is my work. I'm finding it isolating though and I am wondering if any other hyper focusers out there know of a solution to over come work obsessive hyper focus?

I feel like my passion for my job overall has made me lose touch with people.

This has been a problem for awhile and I knew there must be some way to stop this.
Online video game playing when your talking to people. No joke.
It's very interactive and you can break off that overemphasis on work. I think I was placing to much emphasis on work cause I wanted to be good and overachieve.
I just wanted to reconnect.