View Full Version : 21st Century Technology Overwhelming!!!!!

Gypsy Willow
04-13-16, 02:44 PM
Do any of you find technology overwhelming? I do!!! :mad:

I had my landline until 2 years ago and only used a flip phone for emergencies. I finally got an iPhone but was overwhelmed by it the first couple of months I had it. And I refuse to upgrade because it'll just be something else I have to "learn" or "get used to". I don't have the internet on my phone, as it's too hard for me to focus. Too much info on too small of a screen. So if I need to go online, I do it from a desktop.

I also do not own a laptop, tablet or PC. I use the ones at work or at local library.

And don't EVEN get me started on TV. Now you have to have cable to even get a signal. Or WiFi.

I miss the days of a landline and getting TV for free.

Just so many decisions and "plans" to pick.....it's like constantly walking down the decongestant aisle at the store. Too many choices, it's all so overwhelming.

Anyone else feel this way?

stef
04-13-16, 04:27 PM
yes to some extent!
i got my ipad in 2012 i think, i love it for going online but i hardly use any apps or movies erc, the choice just overwhelms me. i have the same few games i bought when i first got it.
i got an iphone for work which well i need for emails, and to go online anytime quickly, and its so useful for looking something up and then being able to call from the website.

i totally miss free tv. i miss looking forward to shows. i still have the landline the idea of having no phone in an emergency or if i was out of battery or something is just too weird.

Little Missy
04-13-16, 04:42 PM
I hate all of it.

Don't even get me started on the car.

TV is insane.

midnightstar
04-13-16, 04:44 PM
I can only use the laptop for getting online, I just don't understand the tablet I got at all.

aeon
04-13-16, 07:30 PM
Poorly-designed technology is frustrating.

Culture’s social engineering by fashionizing tech, and hyping stuff, and playing on fears of belonging is frustrating.

Good and useful things are...good and useful.

But that’s not most things. Not at all.

And we are finite in terms of our time and resources and aptitude and desire.

We can’t learn everything.

Find the best, discard the rest, and only choose that which serves genuine need and adds to your life.

And if it feels like work, it is. Stop. Go play.

Cheers,
Ian

Lunacie
04-13-16, 07:44 PM
Hi, my name is Lunacie and I'm also a technophobe. (Hi Lunacie)

My daughter loves technology, has an I-phone with camera and internet and all. She even designs web sites.

I finally switched from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome just to shut her up.

She's being the same about dropping cable tv and switching to internet tv.

Ugh, change, I hate it! Changing to something I have to learn about, I hate it!!!

Unmanagable
04-13-16, 09:54 PM
I long for the good ol' carrier pigeon days, myself.

I love my laptop, though, so I guess I'm a bit more high tech than I'd like to think.

I miss the days of remembering a phone number from actually writing them down and dialing them, dialing them on a rotary dial phone, being able to slam down a receiver, stopping at a phone booth to make a call, or change into my cape, which ever the occasion called for. Hahaha!

It's quite helpful and pleasurable at times, but the rapid pace of "advancement", along with the wake of destruction and distraction that it leaves in its path, makes me too dizzy to even want to keep up anymore.

Just keep an eye out for my smoke signals if the plug gets pulled. They tend to be much stronger than the signal on my cell phone over yonder here, in the forest. lol

TheGreatKing
04-13-16, 10:11 PM
I love technology!
I used to love watching sci fi and daydreaming about the future!
I just can't wait to see what's next.

Niftyfox
04-13-16, 11:17 PM
Unfortunately I can't relate since I've been around technology since I was very young and currently in the IT field (about to take an exam for my new certification next week eeek)

anyways, techology IS advancing, but at the same time it's also getting more and more user-friendly.
I would recommend watching how-to guides on YouTube, or reading books if that's your thing- with ADD, smartphones can be incredibly useful. Need to make a note of something? Whip it out and jot down a note. Need to schedule a date? Calendar app.
I could not live without it!

Unmanagable
04-14-16, 10:28 AM
How about those new credit card machines that read the chip in the newer cards?

As if there isn't enough stuff to keep up with while completing a transaction, now we have to remember to grab our cards out of a machine after waiting for it to process, then signing the receipt, etc. Beep! Beep! Beep! Bah humbug. lol

I even miss writing checks. And I get p***ed off at folks who are super impatient and rude in line behind my mom, who still chooses to write checks. She's earned the right to take as long as she needs, thank you.

Carry your hurried a**es on over to the self-checkout and handle your business as promptly as you wish instead of giving an elderly lady the stink eye, or becoming a disrespectful, heavily sighing, over-dramatic spectacle.

Fuzzy12
04-14-16, 11:53 AM
Totally!!! My husband thankfully updates our gadgets (and knows how they work:rolleyes:). I'd be totally lost otherwise. I do love the convenience and comfort we get from new technology (how on earth did anyone ever know anything before the age of search engines???) and I love being able to access the internet on smart phones and the million other things it does but it takes me ages to learn something new or get used to it. E.g. usually hang on to my mobile for years before I even consider upgrading it (and even then I leave the actual choice of mobile to the hubster. He knows better what I want and what is available and I've got no interest whatsoever in doing the research. It makes me feel like a caveman and rather stupid but oh well....).

I'm quite proud of myself for being able to use our firestick (at least after my little niece explained it to me :o).

Fuzzy12
04-14-16, 12:49 PM
I want to buy a new car stereo for the hubster but I'm totally overwhelmed by that. It's so confusing, I don't even know where to start.:umm1:

Lunacie
04-14-16, 01:15 PM
I want to buy a new car stereo for the hubster but I'm totally overwhelmed by that. It's so confusing, I don't even know where to start.:umm1:

Gift certificate?

willow129
04-15-16, 10:45 AM
It's weird, I have lots of online friends here, have spent a lot of time on the internet, before it got really popular I think. I know how to build a website with CSS etc. I mean nothing really amazing but I coded my website for fun.

But I have a flip phone and I don't think I could ever get a smartphone. I have no self control with the internet and I haven't seen that there are ways to restrict sites and stuff. Though there are apps that I think could be useful for me. And I'm overwhelmed by operating system updates and stuff too. I'm wondering if I'll need a new laptop soon or something cuz mine is old...I don't really know! No TV. I love pen and paper. I use a planner. Like, a book. That you write in. I also write checks. :)

I love what Aeon said though, I think that's a good approach to all this. It is slightly difficult as I think in my age group a lot of communication is done via text and stuff...that's kind of annoying on a flipphone though I am pretty fast at that whole pressing the numbers thing now! It can be hard to keep up with the current ways that people communicate. A lot of people, facebook is kind of their new email, and I just can't function that way. PLEASE don't send me gig offers via FACEBOOK. Good God.

Roundmouth
04-15-16, 11:50 AM
I'm slightly familiar with some of the logic of computers. We have much in common. I accepted Windows98 but nothing after that. Perfectly logical with that file tree until XP. NTFS and that 'register'. Macintosh makes me frustrated. So handsome but no appearant logic.

Linux is my choice, it's like Window98 only better. Now Ubuntu has fallen into a bottomless black hole with a desktop environment called Unity, so I've switched to another one using an upgraded version of the old environment.

But all these touch screens an stuff. Smart TV:s. I would like to learn some about the new things. It's a charming idea, every machine can communicate with all other machines. All aspects of life theorethically grouped in one unit is a good idea. Should make life easier for a disorganized brain, but it only makes me dizzy. I need to understand some basic ideas behind things in order to use them, and I'm not capable of learning it all. I still have a real phone with buttons. I can drop it and it doesn't need recharging every day. I also have a completely analogue car. The new technology without buttons must be made easy to use and necessarilly becomes illogical and beyond control.

Gypsy Willow
04-15-16, 12:30 PM
Poorly-designed technology is frustrating.

Culture’s social engineering by fashionizing tech, and hyping stuff, and playing on fears of belonging is frustrating.

Good and useful things are...good and useful.

But that’s not most things. Not at all.

And we are finite in terms of our time and resources and aptitude and desire.

We can’t learn everything.

Find the best, discard the rest, and only choose that which serves genuine need and adds to your life.

And if it feels like work, it is. Stop. Go play.

Cheers,
Ian

*Stands and applauds* :thankyou:

May I use your post on my FB wall? I can put "anonymous" if you like.

Love the terms "fashionizing tech" and "playing on fears of belonging." That's really good. I still have my iPhone 4 and the looks I get from a few people with their new Samsungs or Galaxy phones....I just start laughing at them. They basically just put up a freakin' mortgage to "fit in". Oh and my phone has been paid for for 2 years so whatever....

acdc01
04-15-16, 12:41 PM
If you don't like it, then just don't get it.

I'm pretty sure you can still get tv for free since you live in the US. Just get yourself a $10 antenna (a little more if you have bad reception) and you can continue to watch network tv for free the old fashioned way.

Landlines are still available if you prefer that too. Or why did you ever switch from your flip phone to an iPhone to begin with if you don't like it?

Technology is a luxury, not a requirement. You don't have to get anything you don't want.

Unmanagable
04-15-16, 12:59 PM

I'm pretty sure you can still get tv for free since you live in the US. Just get yourself a $10 antenna (a little more if you have bad reception) and you can continue to watch network tv for free the old fashioned way.

Landlines are still available if you prefer that too. Or why did you ever switch from your flip phone to an iPhone to begin with if you don't like it?

Technology is a luxury, not a requirement. You don't have to get anything you don't want.

As far as cell phones go, I've found it hard to get any the old school stuff because it's made obsolete before I ever need a replacement. The employees look at me so funny when I whip out my extinct phone to ask for help. lol

acdc01
04-15-16, 01:36 PM
As far as cell phones go, I've found it hard to get any the old school stuff because it's made obsolete before I ever need a replacement. The employees look at me so funny when I whip out my extinct phone to ask for help. lol

Good point that you might have to switch for work or something. Do basic phones go obsolete if all you need to do is use them to call people? I stayed with a dumb phone for the longest time and my coworkers and pretty much everyone else were shocked that I had it. But after a moment they, forgot all about it and moved on. There were actually 3 of us that kept basic phones still at work when I had a basic phone- no one thought less of us for it even though they were shocked.

Gypsy Willow
04-15-16, 01:37 PM

Well, TV went all digital about 3 years ago here so basically, if you want a TV signal at all, an antennae will no longer work.

I switched from the flip phone to iPhone because it was costing me more to keep the landline and have the flip phone (which was a pay as you go plan). I did the math and got a better deal getting the iPhone.

I just wanted to vent and see if others are as over whelmed by technology as I. Wasn't looking for someone to respond with the surly, "If you don't like it, don't get it." attitude.

There's alot of stuff us ADDers don't like but we have to still live in this world, don't we?

Just looking for support.

acdc01
04-15-16, 01:46 PM
Well, TV went all digital about 3 years ago here so basically, if you want a TV signal at all, an antennae will no longer work.

My area is all digital too. An antennae will work as long as your area has reception. You just need a digital antenna. Also, if your tv is super old and not a digital tv, you would either need a new tv or a converter box. Converter boxes are super cheap but I'd recommend a new tv if you need one (you might not depending on age of your tv). How old is your tv if you do want to try this?

You could ask a local Best Buy to help you if you wanted to do this since I don't know your area. They allow you to return their stuff without a fee so you could just see if it works out for you. Save you a lot of money on cable bills I would think though you would be back to watching shows on the hour they broadcast instead of whenever you want (though you could record it).

Sorry, for sounding negative. I know someone who throws their tech devices every time he can't get it working and had done so just this week so was still touchy on the subject.

Gypsy Willow
04-15-16, 01:51 PM
^^ That's good to know about the converter box! Thanks for letting me know that I could still get an antennae. My TV is about 6 years old so it's not a SmartTV or a flat screen. I'll check with Best Buy.

I literally do not know anyone that doesn't have the big grande cable packages or Direct TV and anytime I've tried to check into something less "confusing", I can't get a straight answer from anyone because they don't understand why I want to simplify. *eye roll*.

Thanks again!!

ginniebean
04-15-16, 02:01 PM
I love technology, but it doesn't always love me. I tend to be overconfident and think i know how to do stuff then i don't.

I prefer now to simpler times. Obline banking alone is worth it's weight in gold. I don't have to leave my house.

acdc01
04-15-16, 02:34 PM
^^ That's good to know about the converter box! Thanks for letting me know that I could still get an antennae. My TV is about 6 years old so it's not a SmartTV or a flat screen. I'll check with Best Buy.

I literally do not know anyone that doesn't have the big grande cable packages or Direct TV and anytime I've tried to check into something less "confusing", I can't get a straight answer from anyone because they don't understand why I want to simplify. *eye roll*.

Thanks again!!

You most likely do not need a converter box if you are absolutely sure your tv is only 6 years old. The US turned off analog and went completely digital in Feb 2009, 7 years ago

Just a warning, the converter boxes (if your tv ends up needing one) add an extra tech step so that's why I don't recommend it for people who don't like technology. My dad wasn't ever able to get it to work for him ever cause he always pushed the wrong buttons - he hated it. The cost of a new tv is still cheaper than half a year of cable so I got my dad an antenna and a new tv.

Also, if your area has really poor reception you may need the more expensive antennas (range from $10-$100). I'd start with the second to cheapest one which were about $15 when I was buying for my dad. (I didn't like the cheapest ones myself) and move up (that's why I suggest Best Buy so you can return stuff if it doesn't work or if you end up hating the tech - well antennas are easy to use once setup but if you get a new tv too, you might not like the smart features. My dad seems to be able to just ignore those features though and just watch tv and he's about as tech unsavvy as you can get).

Good luck. I hope you live in an area with decent reception.

EDIT: I should say, some don't even need a separate antenna as their house already has an external mounted one (that connects to your tv through a cable). I'm guessing that's not you though cause you lost your reception when tv switched from analog to digital. Sorry you got to deal with tech before you can cut cable or direct tv out.

KarmanMonkey
04-15-16, 02:57 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with technology; I love the instant access to a vast amount of information; I also have never found an in-person ADD support group that is anywhere near to the support I find here.

I love digital cameras; they're probably my favourite advancement in the last century; the ability to take photos without considering the cost of film or development.

I hate that technology has been systematically eroding community; I know you folks way better than I know my neighbour.

I hate that we have a new class system few people acknowledge; how much more difficult life is for those who can't easily learn or access the tech.

I hate the fact that people rely on the internet for communication rather than walking next door to speak face to face.

I love love love skype, and the fact that my folks can see their grandson grow up from points distant.

I hate the loss of privacy. Even if I take steps to protect my privacy there are still ways in which it gets violated against my will.

I hate how new technologies are introduced to us and we embrace them wholeheartedly without taking time to consider the sociological impact.

The high-stimulus technology runs the risk of creating whole generations of ADD children.

My son will learn about many things far earlier than I would like, yet will learn with much less effort than I did.

I shudder to think about what the transmissions of the multitude of wifi, cell, radio and other signals are doing to my insides.

I hate how quickly we become dependent on technology so even if we learned today that cell phones take 10 years off our life, I know many people who would still carry one.

I could go on, but basically I feel that technology is a mixed bag of extacy and horror.

aeon
04-15-16, 08:44 PM
*Stands and applauds* :thankyou:

May I use your post on my FB wall?

Yes, you may. Thank you.

Cheers,
Ian

stef
04-16-16, 02:34 AM
I dont like the loss of privacy ( but then i just dont post much on fb), but its almost disturbing how connected evryone can be sometimes
The thing i love most and forgot to mention, is that when you have cable here you can now choose the language options on most channels ( even the non cable ones broadcast some things in" mulitilanguage version"). except you have to select it every time and there is always this second of doubt ," is it actually in english" ?

Little Missy
04-16-16, 07:02 AM
Too many buttons! On everything! OnStar on the car to decrease the insurance premiums but the decrease is as much as the OnStar subscription. What ever happened to the days when your agent just looked at the odometer?

bryanrc51
04-30-16, 12:11 AM

I had my landline until 2 years ago and only used a flip phone for emergencies. I finally got an iPhone but was overwhelmed by it the first couple of months I had it. And I refuse to upgrade because it'll just be something else I have to "learn" or "get used to". I don't have the internet on my phone, as it's too hard for me to focus. Too much info on too small of a screen. So if I need to go online, I do it from a desktop.

I also do not own a laptop, tablet or PC. I use the ones at work or at local library.

And don't EVEN get me started on TV. Now you have to have cable to even get a signal. Or WiFi.

Just so many decisions and "plans" to pick.....it's like constantly walking down the decongestant aisle at the store. Too many choices, it's all so overwhelming.

I just hate how you are expected to buy into all these new technologies and pay what seems to be unreasonable sums of money on an on going basis. Like download our app, umm no I cancelled my cell phone cause I got tired of paying 75 dollars per month x 2. People ask how can any reach you when you are out? My response is exactly, exactly.

Laserbeak
04-30-16, 05:45 PM
Wasn't it Arthur C. Clarke that said if you were able to snap your fingers and transport a caveman through time to the modern era they'd just go insane and think we were all magicians seeing our technology that they just could not comprehend?

seemingly
04-30-16, 07:55 PM

you are really missing out!

seemingly
04-30-16, 07:57 PM
Love, love, love technology. Have a question - can look it up! Can borrow digital books from my library. Order toilet paper and cat litter from W***art rather than schlep there. Maps! Music! Photos! LOVE IT.

KarmanMonkey
05-04-16, 08:47 AM
Wasn't it Arthur C. Clarke that said if you were able to snap your fingers and transport a caveman through time to the modern era they'd just go insane and think we were all magicians seeing our technology that they just could not comprehend?

The sad thing is that our brains have remained more or less unchanged since those times... Maybe structurally a little different, but not any bigger, for sure!

KarmanMonkey
05-04-16, 09:49 AM

The only catch is that the world is changing to turn people who don't embrace the tech into second class citizens.

And even if we opt to divest ourselves of the technology, we're still impacted by the social change. Go to a coffee shop now, and everyone is nose deep in their devices. Go to a coffee shop a decade or so ago, and you'd see people actually TALKING to each other.

So regardless of our individual choices with respect to tech, it still shapes our culture, our community, and our environment.

TygerSan
05-04-16, 10:14 AM
I refuse to pay for cable tv. The stuff I'd actually watch is prohibitively expensive and the basic package doesn't get me what I want. We have a roof antenna that's motorized, so we get network tv. Everything else we watch thru Netflix.

The thing that hisses me off the most is when we cannot stream various sporting events that aren't on network because we don't have cable. For baseball playoffs, radio was ok, but Olympic coverage left something to be desired.

acdc01
05-04-16, 10:21 AM
I refuse to pay for cable tv. The stuff I'd actually watch is prohibitively expensive and the basic package doesn't get me what I want. We have a roof antenna that's motorized, so we get network tv. Everything else we watch thru Netflix.

The thing that hisses me off the most is when we cannot stream various sporting events that aren't on network because we don't have cable. For baseball playoffs, radio was ok, but Olympic coverage left something to be desired.

Isn't the Olympics on network tv? Has broadcast tv degraded in terms of the content they provide since the advent of cable and online streaming? I didn't get the feeling that it did. Cables always been like extras for me so it always seemed fair to charge for the extra.

I would say Netflix counts as technology too so those who aren't good with it wouldn't have that advantage. Even broadcast tv, you either have to upgrade to a new tv and all new ones these days are somewhat technologically complicated, or you have to get a digital converter box which also is not user friendly either.

Fuzzy12
05-04-16, 11:20 AM
What I really hate is making changes just for the heck of it. I hated when MS Office changed from the usual menus to the ribbons and I absolutely hate windows 10 (is it 10??). I hate that they call programs apps. Why??? I don't need everything to look like my mobile. I just want it to look familiar.

I think, as I grow older I'm going to become extremely bad with technology. I don't easily take to changes. I usually hang on to mobiles for as long as I can. I guess, I shouldn't be so resistant to change. Maybe change is what keeps my mind agile.

TygerSan
05-04-16, 12:05 PM
Isn't the Olympics on network tv? Has broadcast tv degraded in terms of the content they provide since the advent of cable and online streaming? I didn't get the feeling that it did. Cables always been like extras for me so it always seemed fair to charge for the extra.

"Selected content" is broadcast (and sometimes recorded and delayed). Everything else is streaming, which usually comes with the assumption that you have cable. if not, tough.

acdc01
05-04-16, 12:28 PM
"Selected content" is broadcast (and sometimes recorded and delayed). Everything else is streaming, which usually comes with the assumption that you have cable. if not, tough.

Yeah, I think they should broadcast everything on network tv too. The sports I woul watch are actually the ones that aren't shown on network. But I think that's the way it's been for ages - network tv has never broadcast everything. So the extra option feels just that to me, an extra which we have to pay for by both learning technology and by paying more money.

I can see how some don't have the know how to learn the extra tech which is unfortunate but I'm not really sure how to accommodate these people while still making sure that the service providers are adequately reimbursed for their services.

I hate, hate, hate windows 10 too by the way. But again, I can see why MS switched cause everyone hated windows 8 (except the minority like me). So they pretty much had too.

Sorry OP if I'm running off topic to the point of annoyance. If I am, just say so.

Fuzzy12
05-04-16, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I think they should broadcast everything on network tv too. The sports I woul watch are actually the ones that aren't shown on network. But I think that's the way it's been for ages - network tv has never broadcast everything. So the extra option feels just that to me, an extra which we have to pay for by both learning technology and by paying more money.

I can see how some don't have the know how to learn the extra tech which is unfortunate but I'm not really sure how to accommodate these people while still making sure that the service providers are adequately reimbursed for their services.

I hate, hate, hate windows 10 too by the way. But again, I can see why MS switched cause everyone hated windows 8 (except the minority like me). So they pretty much had too.

Sorry OP if I'm running off topic to the point of annoyance. If I am, just say so.

On my work laptop, I'm still using windows 7 and I'm quite happy with that. Why can't they just make their OS more efficient, fix all the bugs, etc. without changing things that don't need changing???? :scratch:

Little Missy
05-04-16, 01:00 PM
I just want to turn the key and go. Too many buttons and all of these universal symbols that look like hieroglyphics to me.

aeon
05-04-16, 03:45 PM
Windows 7 for as long as possible. It is golden.

Today, I turned a labyrinthine process of billing a customer that used to involve all kinds of
paper recordkeeping, use of an adding machine, and photocopying, into a Microsoft Excel
document that requires the entry of three numbers.

It does the rest, with no additional opportunities for error, and it generates and spits out
nicely formatted reports to send to the customer.

What used to take 15 minutes now takes less than 2.

Sometimes technology is wonderful. Bring it on!

Cheers,
Ian

acdc01
05-04-16, 06:09 PM
Windows 7 is great for work but for a touchscreen laptop like I have at home, windows 8 is way better. And I love the touchscreen now and would never want to go back.

I would think apple would be the best product for the tech challenged. At least I find their iPhone the easiest to use (haven't tried their laptops).

And a lot of apps actually can help us tremendously. When I was still driving, I used the here app so that it would ring every time I started speeding. Planning, alarm apps. Note app so I don't lose all my notes. So many helpful apps these days.

Fuzzy12
05-04-16, 06:37 PM
I've just switched to an iphone after years of exclusively using androids. I absolutely hate it. In fact I'm still using my old phone for everything except making calls. I suspect though it's just because I don't like change more than anything else.

KarmanMonkey
05-05-16, 09:10 AM
The windows discussion reminded me of something else that I hate about the developing technology; the fact that they intentionally create a system that will force you to "upgrade"

The reason for this? It's the same as the reason they build cars that fall apart. Henry Ford figured out the fact that if you build a quality product that lasts 30 years, you don't get any repeat business. So build something on the cheap that will break down and force people to buy new.

Our first computer was a TRS-80, and the only reason it stopped working was because there was a mechanical fault in the keyboard (and we probably could've repaired that) Meanwhile my laptop was purchased only a few years ago and it already feels like it's falling apart.

But these days, even if you have a computer that works perfectly fine, you get left in the dust as they stop supporting the software you have, and any software you buy won't run on your current machine.

My previous phone worked fine, unless I tried to update anything, in which case it ground to a halt, because the apps were designed for newer phones.

If I had the resources, I'd look into the idea of creating a company that supports and develops for "abandonware", and produces computers that cost $50-100 (or less). Sell those to anyone and everyone. I know they've looked into $100 laptops, but I'm talking dirt cheap machines that are built for durability and longevity, with software that's functional and relatively low maintenance. I'd then look at providing access to those who traditionally do not have it.