View Full Version : Hm, that's rather unexpected: getting a job is not as hard as I thought.

Jacksper
04-13-16, 07:05 PM
I find it a bit ironic: I always worried about my studies, how long it was taking and if I would ever be able to finish it (I did, after 10 years) and if finishing it would still be worth anything after all that time. After all, after taking so long my diploma would be worthless, right?

Well, it turns out that this is not the case at all. I have not written a single job application letter and I have already been offered 5 job interviews. I had my first interview today and it was obvious to me that the owner of the company, who interviewed me, really wanted me to work there.

Tomorrow I have my next interview. Friday or somewhere next week I have some more.

Even if I am turned down at all of these interviews, I see many more companies and organizations who need someone with my knowledge & skills and I hope that some of these places are forgiving of my (often ADD related) flaws, or better that I could manage my symptoms so that it does not create large problems, but that is of later concern. First, let's get a job! Friday I will hear back from company #1, hopefully with good news.

I am looking forward to see how my life will change! Now that I say that, I wonder, was your ADD more of a problem (or more of benefit - I am not a gifter but I do believe that there are some good traits that often co-occur with ADD people) when you were at school, or when you were working?

Jacksper
04-14-16, 07:18 AM
The company I talked with today also wants to hire me. Coming Monday I will talk with a third company. I think I will have to choose, such a luxury problem! :P

Unmanagable
04-14-16, 07:22 AM
What a great problem to have, Jacksper! Congrats, and may you experience much satisfaction in whichever one you choose.

Jacksper
04-14-16, 12:51 PM
Thanks Unmanagable! :)

Here's an update: the third company (that I will speak with on Monday) called me on the phone, apparently they are eager to get me too (it was a colleague of mine who also worked for that company - he was looking for some intel).

My head is spinning from all of these choices. Which should I choose? Do I prefer a small or a large company? What do I want to learn? What do I want to earn? How should I negotiate?

And then there are the next steps: how can I prepare myself for the work (I like to follow online courses & I like them because they can offer you a head start)? Should I move to another house (I live in a student house now)? And this one is very important: how will I prevent my ADHD from becoming problematic in this new phase? Should I get a coach (I will be able to afford it, or a I can ask for the company to pay for it).

Most of these questions are important, some more than others, and it seems a bit overwhelming, but find myself reminding myself that these are luxury problems. Someone once said something like "I don't strive to have a problem-free life, but I want to have a higher quality of problems". I like that, it reminds me to be thankful for where I am now and to enjoy the process.

Fuzzy12
04-14-16, 01:05 PM
No, it's terribly hard to get a job :lol:

So I guess if these companies want you it's because you are really that good!!!!! :)

Do I prefer a small or a large company? What do I want to learn? What do I want to earn? How should I negotiate?

I'm not sure if these are rhetoric questions but they are important questions so I'll give you my take on it. I think if you are starting out, a large company might be better since they have better training opportunities and it's easier to know what to expect since everything is more formal and standardised.

Small companies often give you the opportunity to do a bit of everything, which can be great from a learning point of view but they rarely have structured, formal training. A lot you might have to learn on the job, by yourself and by experience in these small companies. Also, what you learn on the job in these small companies might vary a lot, be very specific and not necessarily applicable in the future. Smaller companies can be more fun and more interesting though. If they are an up and rising company then they can be great for career progression and making your mark but if it's a small company that has been small for years and isn't looking to expand then there might not be a lot of opportunities for job progression. (I used to work in a company like that...in a really dead end job...there was just nowhere to go). On the other hand if you excel it will be noticed much earlier though.

Regarding negotiation, don't go crazy but also don't be too humble. I'd generally start with something slightly higher than I'd really expect. Maybe have a look at what other companies offer for this position (by looking at job adverts).

And then there are the next steps: how can I prepare myself for the work (I like to follow online courses & I like them because they can offer you a head start)? Should I move to another house (I live in a student house now)? And this one is very important: how will I prevent my ADHD from becoming problematic in this new phase? Should I get a coach (I will be able to afford it, or a I can ask for the company to pay for it).

Online courses are brilliant. You could also ask the company if there is anything you can do to prepare or if they can recommend any courses. They might like that.

If you move or not might not really be dependent on your job. If you are comfortable where you are currently I might not move right now or you might just have too many changes to deal with at the same time. Moving can be a lot of work!!

How to not let ADHD become a problem? I'm not sure. The only thing I can recommend is to try to tackle problems as soon as you recognise them and also don't think that you need to tackle everything on your own. It took me a long time to realise that it's ok to ask questions or to ask for clarification or even to ask for help. Even people without ADHD do that.

TheGreatKing
04-14-16, 01:17 PM
I have never had a hard time to get a job but its because i am highly impulsive and i go for any job no matter what the requirements are and because of how impulsive i am i have known to jump town to town for jobs. People think its no fear lol never correct them. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I am happy that you are finding easier to find jobs that's super dooper awesome!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes: