View Full Version : New here- not even sure why I'm writing this

justaspeck
04-13-16, 10:42 PM
Hello, I have a 5.5 year old who just went through the entire IEP/psycho-educational testing at school. He is an AWESOME kid who I have known is "different" for about 3 years. According to the IEP team he has a “very likely” probability of autism according to me and the teachers answers. and he has “clinically significant” concerns in areas of hyperactivity (he has already been diagnosed by developmental ped with ADHD last month).

He scored a 133 on the FCI cognitive abilities test- which says it was in the “Upper extreme range” and the academic achievement tests all scored in the “very advanced” range with grade equivalents of 1st grade to 3.3 grade depending on subject. He is in TK now and "should" go to Kinder next year. He is Not qualified for an IEP or special Ed services because his probable autism/definite ADHD/behavior problems don't negatively affect his academic performance.

But, because of his ADHD diagnoses he DOES Qualify for a 504 plan. We will have a meeting after may 5th (when we get all the results from Doctor assessments RE: ASD and any other recommendations with the ADHD) to come up with the 504 plan.

He is in the 99% for iq. The Vice principal said she has never seen any kid be in the 99% in a meeting and the school psych said in 8 years he is #5.

We are pretty sure we are going to put him in 1st grade next year-but are just worried about him socially. But then again, since he has ADHD and (most likely) autism, he will struggle with that regardless of where he is. Right? I just don't want him to be bored learning his letters and numbers again next year when he can already multiply/divide in his head and add double digit numbers. And he's reading at almost a 2nd grade level.

We are waiting until we get all results from doc to sit down and explain to him that his awesome brain works differently than most and that he is super smart and funny and lovable even though it does.

What else do we do? What do I ask for in the 504? Thoughts on accelerating him to 1st? Any advice for my just starting out down this journey of having a child with some special needs?

Thanks! :heart:

TheGreatKing
04-14-16, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the forum!
Man i tell you, you ask loaded question :)
My advice to you would be to learn to have lots of patience and understanding.
Research goes a long way as well. I wish i had more but i am certain that parents in this forum will answer you soon.

sarahsweets
04-14-16, 04:40 AM
He is in TK now and "should" go to Kinder next year. He is Not qualified for an IEP or special Ed services because his probable autism/definite ADHD/behavior problems don't negatively affect his academic performance.
Who told you this? If he has a disability of any kind like autism it doesnt matter how functional he is, he is still entitled to services in special ed because you dont know what next year will bring and if you wait, it will be a mad scramble to get things in place when he needs it.
You have to remember no matter how good or nice the school it...they do not want more kids in special ed or related services, the want less. It costs them a hell of alot more money to provide an education for kids with issues then the average kid. My son was off the charts smart and was in special ed til 5th grade. (read my sticky in children's diagnosis)
Just because he seems ok now, doesnt mean he doesnt or wont need services in the future. You can always decide to scrap an IEP but getting one takes persistence and you have to be up the school's as* to get them to move along. Im not saying school districts dont have a child's best interest but they still have a bottom line to keep to.

We are pretty sure we are going to put him in 1st grade next year-but are just worried about him socially. But then again, since he has ADHD and (most likely) autism, he will struggle with that regardless of where he is. Right? I just don't want him to be bored learning his letters and numbers again next year when he can already multiply/divide in his head and add double digit numbers. And he's reading at almost a 2nd grade level.

With autism etc he will not be bored because he will be learning all about how to socialize and get along with peers. You can learn that from a book or homework.

BellaVita
04-14-16, 04:52 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

If he is autistic and has ADHD, he will probably struggle. It might not show up right away, but give it time. For me, I started really struggling socially to the point that I felt different and alone starting 3rd grade.

For some reason, my parents started me in school a year later than everyone else. (Kindergarten at 6)

When I look back, I'm SO SO SO glad this happened. Yes, I was at an intellectual level where I would've done fine starting earlier, but socially and with my maturity level....no way!! I STILL struggled socially even when I was a bit older than my peers. If I were younger, I probably would've been even more miserable. Later, it was suggested that I skip grade(s), I was testing at an 8th grade level in 2nd grade for things like spelling, but skipping wasn't right for me. I objected to it and wasn't forced to.

Btw, I'm autistic and have ADHD.

Is there any way his teachers can give him more advanced work, but keep him in class with kids his age?

Lunacie
04-14-16, 12:21 PM
School admins either don't realize or won't admit there is more to needing an IEP than the grades the child is making.

I recommend you read about The 30% Rule (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=641396&postcount=18) in Dizfriz's Corner (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60130).

If your kiddo has both ADHD and Autism he is probably more than 30% delayed in development of self control, social skills, and emotional control compared to his peers.

I'd say Bella's suggestion of keeping him with his age group and offering more challenging work is worth looking into.

Helloit'sme
04-14-16, 02:16 PM
I have a 16-year-old daughter who has autism and an 18 year-old daughter who has ADHD. The first thing you need to do is get your son tested for autism. Every state is different. Some test right in the schools, some go to psychologists, some to autism departments of hospitals. IF your son is diagnosed with autism you are entitled to services and an IEP. Sarasweets is right about that. The schools want to get away with doing as little as possible. Get him tested as soon as you can. There are other outside services he would be entitled to if he is diagnosed with autism. It's a long, complicated road finding everything out and there is a lot to learn, but you have got to do it. I held my autistic daughter back a year and I am so glad I did. But, your son sounds much higher functioning than my daughter. Even if his problems are mostly social, I would recommend holding him back.

ginniebean
04-15-16, 02:46 PM
Agree with others, the school is not being forthcoming about iep's being only for academics.

It's a big risk putting a child who lags socially in with even older children, bullying is the major issues and it can do a lot of damage

justaspeck
05-12-16, 07:32 PM
I had the developmental Pediatrician results appt today and it went really well. He did not match the criteria for autism. He DEFINITELY has ADHD (combined), poor self regulation and very impulsive. He also has sensory processing difficulties (qualifies for occupational therapy) and is "very bright with a high IQ." Thank you so so much for all this advice! His 504 meeting for accommodations is next Wed morning. :) We are keeping him in Kinder next year :)

bluejay14
05-13-16, 03:19 AM
I'm a mother to a 15 year old with probable (but still undiagnosed ASD and quite a few ADHD traits too). He's also exceptionally bright. Here in the UK they never put kids in classes with older children, and I'm glad for that. I think the social side is easier if they stay with their peers. I see you've already made that decision, but I think it's the right one.

We sometimes had to lean on my son's teachers a little to make sure he was being kept interested in the work. But mostly I've found that schools are actually better at differentiating for gifted kids than they are for the ones with learning difficulties (my daughter has severe dyslexia and dyscalculia and it's been much harder getting her needs met). Hopefully your son's school will be able to challenge him and keep him engaged in learning. Good luck!

edited because apparently I can't remember how old my own son is *facepalm* - ADHD moment right there.

BellaVita
05-13-16, 04:23 AM
I had the developmental Pediatrician results appt today and it went really well. He did not match the criteria for autism. He DEFINITELY has ADHD (combined), poor self regulation and very impulsive. He also has sensory processing difficulties (qualifies for occupational therapy) and is "very bright with a high IQ." Thank you so so much for all this advice! His 504 meeting for accommodations is next Wed morning. :) We are keeping him in Kinder next year :)

Glad to hear everything went so well! :)

Also I just want to say you're an awesome parent for being so supportive and helpful to your child - this will mean much to him in years to come.

Parents like you give me hope.

And makes me look forward to when one day I will become a parent myself.