View Full Version : Is it hard to find a job if you're old?

jjhh92
04-14-16, 02:18 PM
Hi, I have a dilemma that I've been thinking about every single day and I think that is what I mainly worried about.
I am almost 24 years old but I've never had a real job before. I'm really worried because of this reason, I can't find a job once I finish college.

I was born in the Asian household with a mother who believe that I should finish college before I find a job. So I wasn't allowed to find a job until I start college. In the first early years of college, I got into a depression and was diagnosed with ADD-Intentive type and Anxiety. I really want to get a job back then, but was persuaded by people around me that I should finish college first before I find job because of my inability to finish anything correctly so homework takes up the whole time.
That fears never went away and still continue today that nobody will accept me since I'm already old and never work before in my life.
I am still in college and about to finish this year. I am majoring in Fashion Design.
I guess my question is...How likely people will hired me if I never had a real job before?

acdc01
04-14-16, 04:01 PM
You aren't old at all. Don't sweat the lack of employment. Have you ever done any volunteer work in your life? If you have, you can always list that. If not, I don't think it matters all that much for your first job out of college.

Fashion design, isn't getting a job in that more about how impressive your portfolio is?

Lloyd_
04-14-16, 09:17 PM
Hi, I have a dilemma that I've been thinking about every single day and I think that is what I mainly worried about.
I am almost 24 years old but I've never had a real job before. I'm really worried because of this reason, I can't find a job once I finish college.

I was born in the Asian household with a mother who believe that I should finish college before I find a job. So I wasn't allowed to find a job until I start college. In the first early years of college, I got into a depression and was diagnosed with ADD-Intentive type and Anxiety. I really want to get a job back then, but was persuaded by people around me that I should finish college first before I find job because of my inability to finish anything correctly so homework takes up the whole time.
That fears never went away and still continue today that nobody will accept me since I'm already old and never work before in my life.
I am still in college and about to finish this year. I am majoring in Fashion Design.
I guess my question is...How likely people will hired me if I never had a real job before?

Sign up for the national guard if the military isn't your thing. You need to learn how to work and pay your dues by doing some backbreaking labor. ;)

Simargl
04-14-16, 10:14 PM
You're not old at all.

Most retail places are always hiring. I know that has nothing to do with your major but you can always grab a temporary gig and look for something in your field at the same time. Since you're into fashion I'd try a clothing store of some kind--just an idea.

dvdnvwls
04-15-16, 02:53 AM
There's more than one kind of job.

One of the important kinds is the "Oh well, at least it's money" job. Another is the "This is the kind of work I really want to be doing" job. You can treat them differently - your expectations and requirements will probably be different for each one.

DJ Bill
04-15-16, 02:35 PM
24 is barely adult let alone middle aged or old. In your field you may have to do similar work first. What is the job outlook for graduates of the Fashion Design program? What sorts of jobs have they been getting? Most employers are scared of putting someone with no job experience in any significant positions but there are tons of different entry level jobs out there...(Unless you are in some small isolated town like Coleman, Texas, and you'll be limited to working in the Dollar store or the grocery store.)

Good luck, enjoy the adventure!

Roundmouth
04-15-16, 05:02 PM
Answer to the actual question: Yes.

You're not old but old enough for people to get suspicious. 'What's wrong here??'. I went through Irkalla to get into the normal world of employment. I started in my early thirties, far too late, and was over forty when I got my first real employment. I sometimes feel somewhat stuck here... They can't just get rid of me, but I'm not sure I'd get an other job if I wanted too.

jjhh92
04-20-16, 10:06 PM

You're not old but old enough for people to get suspicious. 'What's wrong here??'. I went through Irkalla to get into the normal world of employment. I started in my early thirties, far too late, and was over forty when I got my first real employment. I sometimes feel somewhat stuck here... They can't just get rid of me, but I'm not sure I'd get an other job if I wanted too.

That's what I was worried about....The "what's wrong here" part. I'm just worried even the retail stores won't hired me because of no work experiences.

jjhh92
04-20-16, 10:10 PM
You aren't old at all. Don't sweat the lack of employment. Have you ever done any volunteer work in your life? If you have, you can always list that. If not, I don't think it matters all that much for your first job out of college.

Fashion design, isn't getting a job in that more about how impressive your portfolio is?

Yes, I did volunteer work as a coat check person and also helping with the ticket counter at the museum.
I also kinda work as a waitress for an asian restaurant for three months.
But the thing I'm worried about is the retail stores won't hire me since there is no retail experiences ever.

Yes, internship is also big deal. I am looking for both. Jobs and internships.

acdc01
04-21-16, 03:40 PM
Yes, I did volunteer work as a coat check person and also helping with the ticket counter at the museum.
I also kinda work as a waitress for an asian restaurant for three months.
But the thing I'm worried about is the retail stores won't hire me since there is no retail experiences ever.

Yes, internship is also big deal. I am looking for both. Jobs and internships.

Sounds to me like you can put work experience on your resume. I'm not sure what type of job you are looking for at retail stores but they'll pretty much hire anyone for a lot of retail positions(definitely your resume would be good enough with the volunteer/waitress experience you've had).

If you're looking for a buyer position, I know someone who got a job as an assistant buyer without a remotely related degree. She then worked up to becoming a buyer. I don't know what it's like it's like in NY but I really think you're overworrying, especially if you are still willing to take internships which don't really require any experience at all. I'd look for regular jobs too, not just internships - don't cut yourself short with insecurities.

sarahsweets
04-21-16, 04:11 PM
Sign up for the national guard if the military isn't your thing. You need to learn how to work and pay your dues by doing some backbreaking labor. ;)
What do you mean? Do you mean any other kind of work is not as good or hard as the kind of work the OP could get? Or do you mean the OP should join the military to know what to be thankful for or something like that?

sarahsweets
04-21-16, 04:12 PM
If someone has a business, organization or something like that, and you've done work for them of any kind, even on a volunteer basis then you have experience.

DJ Bill
04-21-16, 04:53 PM
Lots of stores prefer someone that hasn't done retail so they don't have to untrain bad habits and then teach a new way of doing things....

KarmanMonkey
04-22-16, 09:50 AM
Your work history on a resume tells the employer a few things, so your goal might be to find other things in your life, schooling, or whatnot that demonstrates those skills:

1) Plays well with others. This can be showing your receptiveness to constructive criticism, dealing with 'difficult' people, or demonstrating professionalism

2) Work ethic. There are plenty of people who are skilled; they're usually looking for someone who is dedicated to the work; who will take pride in what they do.

3) Personality. They're looking for a type of person that fits with the culture of the workplace. This is why researching your potential employer is so important, because it lets you know what they're looking for.

The skills are important, so tailoring your portfolio to show the type of thing they're looking for is necessary. Your skills are often less important to the employer than the other factors, however, so you're really selling what type of person you are.

jjhh92
04-25-16, 08:14 PM
What do you mean? Do you mean any other kind of work is not as good or hard as the kind of work the OP could get? Or do you mean the OP should join the military to know what to be thankful for or something like that?

I just assumed that person meant the second reason, which is why I ignored it. Because I was looking for advice, not another judgmental person.

Radio Hiker
07-19-16, 09:36 PM

That was...unhelpful.

Chicky75
07-20-16, 10:35 PM

I strongly disagree. I don't think employers will be suspicious or wondering what's wrong with her when she's 24 and just graduating from college. 24 is not old. I'm a career advisor and many of the people I work with are in this situation and for the same reasons - they're either immigrants or children of immigrants and culturally, it's frowned upon to work while in school. None of them have had any problem getting jobs, unless there were other issues like being too picky about schedules or something.

I don't know about the OP being able to get a job in her field, but I second the person who recommended her to get a job in retail for now, especially in a clothing store. The experience that would matter for those jobs is customer service, not specifically retail, so having volunteered as a coat check and worked as a waitress both show customer service skills.

sarahsweets
07-21-16, 03:04 AM
Ageism is a thing.

Fuzzy12
07-21-16, 03:12 AM
Yes but not at 24. :eek:

I think as long as you can show the tyi8 have gainfully used your time (eg you've been in full.time education) it's probably ok though it's always good to get work experience.

I'm going to be 38 when I'm looking for my next job. Ive never really thought about it but I wonder if that will be a factor. :scratch: