View Full Version : Would dexedrine work if vyvanse stopped?

oreganosis222
04-15-16, 12:35 PM
Out of all the ADHD medications I've tried so far, the only one that has worked is vyvanse, it gave me focus, stopped my racing thoughts, calmed me, etc, at a cost of bad anxiety and paranoia(but worth it). But it stopped it working abruptly, since then I've been trying different meds, concerta, doesn't work, hallucinations, feel like crap, effexor, couldn't tell, my chest hurt to bad to tell, etc. The only one to work at all, but not very much, has been wellbutrin, which has now stopped working too. I've been wondering about Dexedrine, it's popular for ADHD, and I want to try it next, but since the active ingredient to both vyvanse and dex is dextroamphetemine, (vyvanse is just the prodrug version of it) would whatever it was that caused vyvanse to stop working(tolerance?) carry over to dex because of their ingredients?

aeon
04-15-16, 01:00 PM
No way to know until you try.

Dex is much stronger per mg.

Tolerance is almost certainly not an issue.

Cheers,
Ian

oreganosis222
04-15-16, 01:07 PM
No way to know until you try.

Dex is much stronger per mg.

Tolerance is almost certainly not an issue.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks for the response, I know I would still have to try it, I just wanted to see if anyone had an experience similar to mine, because I've been teetering between choosing provigil or dex next.

dvdnvwls
04-15-16, 01:38 PM
Because Dexedrine is absorbed in the body by a different method than Vyvanse is, there's a good possibility that you would react differently to it, even though the eventual active ingredient is the same one.

Little Nut
04-15-16, 03:59 PM
I'm assuming you are looking for rational ideas on your next medication to discuss with your doctor. Don't know why it stopped working, Oreganosis. Not enough skill/knowledge on my part.

A couple of thoughts are, If you've been off of the Vyvanse for an extended time, the Vyvanse may work for a period of time and maybe Dexedrine is worth a shot. I didn't see Focalin or Adderall on your list and may be worth discussing. Past this I think you may start discussing the TCA's and/or Parkinson's meds.

GL. Let me know what you end up trying.

LN

Robin.B.P
04-18-16, 09:06 AM
Well Dex stopped working for me, and I tried Vyvanse. But it to didn't work anymore. Not to hijack the tread, but is there a chance that Adderall will work?

Little Nut
04-18-16, 09:56 AM
Robin, I wouldn't hazard a guess even if I had the pertinent background info. I assume the Dexedrine "poop out" happened after a very long time at therapeutic dosages. If it was me, I would research dexedrine "poop out" for ADHD (hehe, I said poop again) and see what the doctors and researchers have to say on next logical follow up. Whether amphetamines are still an option, or Psycho stimulants are still an option....

HTH,
LN

P.S. You're really not trying to hijack the thread, you're trying to hijack the entire dexedrine subforum.;)

Robin.B.P
04-20-16, 01:02 AM
I have been on Dex about one year now, weird thing that it dont work wery well. My last dose was 25mg IR at once and i cant feel it. The sad part is that my good friend Mr anxiety has come visit me after Dex loosed the effect.

Little Nut
04-20-16, 08:39 AM
Robin, Sorry to hear that you're being hit on 2 fronts (ADHD and anxiety). I have zero personal experience with anxiety disorders or amphetamine alternatives for ADHD. When you're discussing alternative treatment to Dexedrine, I would make sure methylphenidate and focalin are included. I would "guess" that the list of alternatives would include monotherapies and adjunct therapies.

Best wishes and lemme know how the discussion turns out. -LN

Robin.B.P
04-20-16, 09:05 AM
My doc told me to increase all the way up to 40mg, if it didnt work by then she would put me on another med.
I will let you know how it turns out.

Best Regards Robin

Bouncingoffwall
04-20-16, 03:06 PM
Out of all the ADHD medications I've tried so far, the only one that has worked is vyvanse, it gave me focus, stopped my racing thoughts, calmed me, etc, at a cost of bad anxiety and paranoia(but worth it). But it stopped it working abruptly, since then I've been trying different meds, concerta, doesn't work, hallucinations, feel like crap, effexor, couldn't tell, my chest hurt to bad to tell, etc. The only one to work at all, but not very much, has been wellbutrin, which has now stopped working too. I've been wondering about Dexedrine, it's popular for ADHD, and I want to try it next, but since the active ingredient to both vyvanse and dex is dextroamphetemine, (vyvanse is just the prodrug version of it) would whatever it was that caused vyvanse to stop working(tolerance?) carry over to dex because of their ingredients?

Have there been any changes to your regular sleep pattern/diet? What foods/beverages are you taking with the medication?

Bouncingoffwall
04-20-16, 03:51 PM
delete