View Full Version : I need help

Navery3
04-16-16, 01:42 AM
Okay everyone I'm screwed in college I never seem to get up and go to my classes ever really and I'm actually up and everything but I just never go cause I just find an excuse why not to. I need your help to get me out of this slump does anyone have any suggestions that could help me be able to will myself to school? Please help me with this everyone in a real low place these last couple of weeks

namazu
04-16-16, 02:52 AM
Hi, and welcome to ADDF!

Sounds like you're in a tough spot. :(

Without knowing the details of your situation (what year in college? are there particular classes you're struggling with, or just college in general? do you have a major, and do you like it? how's your living situation, sleep, diet, financial situation, social life, etc.? is it just getting to classes that's a problem, or are you feeling bad or not wanting to deal with people in general? what do you do to manage your ADHD?, etc.) it's hard to give really specific advice.

But as a start, I would recommend getting in touch with your school's counseling center and/or the office that deals with disability accommodations. They may have some ideas for dealing with the going-to-class issue and whatever's behind it, and they should also be familiar with on-campus resources or even support groups that could help you.

Hang in there -- summer's coming!

Bouncingoffwall
04-17-16, 02:12 AM
The answer is simple. You just tell yourself you're going to class, and nothing is going to stop you.

There's a line of thoughts that probably surface when it's time to go to class:

"My classes MUST be enjoyable, or else I don't want to go."
"Life MUST never be difficult or boring."
"I MUST have fun today."
"I MUST never feel anxious, that would be life-threatening!"

These kind of thoughts trigger emotions, which influence your behavior; which in turn, causes you to skip classes.

Remember, you are fully in control of the decisions you make. We all make dozens, if not hundreds of choices every day. You probably got out of bed this morning because you DECIDED the advantages to getting out of bed outweighed the disadvantages. What helps is to analyze the pros and cons of skipping classes. First, write down all of the advantages to skipping class. Then, write yourself a list of disadvantages. You might be surprised how one outweighs the other. Here are some suggestions:

- If I don't go to class, I'll fail my classes.
- If I fail my classes, I won't graduate from college.
- If I don't finish college, my job options will be severely limited.
- If I don't finish college, it's highly likely I'll make far less money.

Post the list by your bed, in a spot you look at when you wake up. Carry it in your pocket and read it every time you have the urge to skip class.

Also start challenging those MUSTS in your thinking. The universe does not offer guarantees that life MUST be easy and fun all the time. While you can certainly PREFER to have fun, trying to chase it all of the time will only sabotage your college plans. It's highly likely not attaining your college degree will make your life far less enjoyable in the future. That is, unless you want to work for minimum wage at Wal-Mart for the rest of your life :)

It may sound ridiculous, but this stuff really works. There may be occasional "slip-ups" where you skip another class, but what you're going for is improvement over time, not immediate perfection.

sarahsweets
04-17-16, 11:39 AM
Maybe you are not suited for college at this point in your life.