View Full Version : quitting ritalin: why are ADHD allowed ritalin?

stokedd
04-16-16, 08:04 AM
Hey so I was diagnosed with ADHD a couple months ago, and at the time I was really keen to start meds and treatment. Even though I think I have ADHD because of my impulsiveness, general "weirdness" about myself and strange habits like being unable to sit still and rocking back & forth before I sleep, my loquaciousness and so on I'm starting to feel really spiteful of being labelled as ADHD and thinking of taking ritalin as an easy way out of not just breaking bad habits that I've formed.

Life was pretty difficult for me before I was diagnosed, I could never go to school for 5 days in a row, was late everyday, rebellious to teachers and very talkative. I had absolutely no filter and would say whatever came to my mind. My text messages to people were always very long because I talked excessively. Since taking Ritalin I've seen a massive improvement especially in my attendance, I could get up for school because I would take my ritalin an hour before I had to wake up and hence I could actually get out of bed, which was amazing! I'm not sure if I would attribute this to treatment but I am less impulsive too and more private where as I used to be a complete open book ready to discuss very personal matters. My fuse also isn't as short.

But I'm not happy with my diagnoses because the teacher's over did it filling in the question-are just so I would get diagnosed and I think my parents too probably over did it because they could see how certain I was that I had it. I've watched documentaries about pharma companies which have really turned me off taking Ritalin, and learning about neuroplasticity has really made me think of myself as succumbing to my bad habits instead of trying to form new ones. I think that drug companies are really getting off on kids who are stuck in bad habits.

I don't like to think of myself as having ADHD, it upsets me intensely to think that I'm different and this might be irrational but I find that knowledge of me having ADHD, makes me act stranger than I really am and I find it hard to forget that I'm different, and everytime Im doing something I think of myself as acting the role of different. I can't forget this knowledge that I have adhd. I hope this make sense.

I really, really don't like taking meds. My friends have said jokingly that my good grades are a result of me cheating. Every time I ask them if they think I need ritalin they say no, you are naturally smart and can do it without. Which is true, I know that i can. I've had it stuck in my head that I can definitly do this without ritalin, that all the improvements in my grades are placebo because in reality I think the only thing Ritalin does is make me talk less.

I'm terrified of university and being unable to do well because I dont know if my psychiatrist will approve of me taking Ritalin into adulthood. He doesn't like me taking ritalin before I wake up because "it's not coffee", however that's what ritalin has helped me with most! Its very off, no matter what I do sometimse I can't wake up in the morning! My siblings have the same problem and I feel like they've learned it from me.

Long story short, I really want to get off meds and take control of my "adhd", do you guys believe in the label and the meds or not? The days I don't take Ritalin, im usually late to school because I woke up late.

the thing that bothers me the MOST is i see plenty of my friends struggling at school and just about anyone can qualify for adhd but I get a free pass and drugs to help me study because i have the diagnosis. that's not fair! if a persons parents want them to do well in school and they see their child struggling, adhd it is. I'm sorry if im coming off rude, it's just really getting to me that Ritalin can help anyone study, but only people with ADD get it. How does that make sense? Where do you draw the line? All my friends seem like they have ADHD! If its so common, why is it even considered a mental illness?

this topic really makes me anxious and annoyed, im really sorry if ive come off rude i need help ahaha

Fuzzy12
04-16-16, 08:16 AM
If you have adhd you are not getting a free pass. Even meds don't solve all our adhd related problems they just bring you slightly closer to normal functioning. Don't worry even medicated you are still screwed enough to not have an advantage over NTs. :)

aeon
04-16-16, 09:43 AM
It doesn’t matter what I believe or not...I have a disability, and that would be true if there was no name for it.

As for meds...they help me greatly, simple as that.

If I could have “taken control” of my ADHD, I would have done so, a long time before I was actually diagnosed.

But my ADHD is part of the reason I didn’t, and is the reason I never could.

Cheers,
Ian

Pilgrim
04-16-16, 12:32 PM
From your perspective? Give yourself a little test.
Log ,write down what you were like prior to meds. If your on a low isn dose of meds this won't hurt you a bit.
Study up on what ADD really is.

Now compare yourself on and off meds.

My one wish would be getting diagnosed just after I left high school cause it doesn't get better.

Although I do understand a persons reluctance to take meds. If you have ADD Uni will be a mission on meds, never mind without.

Goodluck

dvdnvwls
04-16-16, 08:36 PM
Hey so I was diagnosed with ADHD a couple months ago, and at the time I was really keen to start meds and treatment. Even though I think I have ADHD because of my impulsiveness, general "weirdness" about myself and strange habits like being unable to sit still and rocking back & forth before I sleep, my loquaciousness and so on I'm starting to feel really spiteful of being labelled as ADHD and thinking of taking ritalin as an easy way out of not just breaking bad habits that I've formed.
Of course it's an easy way out - that's the whole point.
The problem is that what you get if you don't accept this "easy way out" - the "hard way out", if you want to call it that - is much much harder than you think it is. You can't overcome ADHD by increasing your effort. If you could, you wouldn't be here talking to other people about this whole thing, you'd "just get on with it" and not give it a second thought.

If you don't take the easy way out, you are essentially choosing to have no way out at all. If you're satisfied with the way things already are, then obviously you have no need of medication.

Having ADHD is like digging a ditch with your bare hands. Starting medication is like someone handed you a shovel. It's nothing like having heavy machinery, but at least you have a shovel.

Choosing to go without medication is like the bare-handed ditch-digger saying "No thank you, I'm doing fine" when someone offers to bring him a shovel. Realistically, anyone can see that he isn't doing fine.

But I'm not happy with my diagnoses because the teacher's over did it filling in the question-are just so I would get diagnosed and I think my parents too probably over did it because they could see how certain I was that I had it. I've watched documentaries about pharma companies which have really turned me off taking Ritalin, and learning about neuroplasticity has really made me think of myself as succumbing to my bad habits instead of trying to form new ones. I think that drug companies are really getting off on kids who are stuck in bad habits.

I don't like to think of myself as having ADHD, it upsets me intensely to think that I'm different and this might be irrational but I find that knowledge of me having ADHD, makes me act stranger than I really am and I find it hard to forget that I'm different, and everytime Im doing something I think of myself as acting the role of different. I can't forget this knowledge that I have adhd. I hope this make sense.

The way you've described yourself, it sure sounds to me like you're "different". (I don't say that as a bad thing, just as a fact. I'm "different", no doubt about that.)

If you're different, why pretend you're not? What good would that do?

I really, really don't like taking meds. My friends have said jokingly that my good grades are a result of me cheating. Every time I ask them if they think I need ritalin they say no, you are naturally smart and can do it without. Which is true, I know that i can. I've had it stuck in my head that I can definitly do this without ritalin, that all the improvements in my grades are placebo because in reality I think the only thing Ritalin does is make me talk less.

I'm terrified of university and being unable to do well because I dont know if my psychiatrist will approve of me taking Ritalin into adulthood. He doesn't like me taking ritalin before I wake up because "it's not coffee", however that's what ritalin has helped me with most! Its very off, no matter what I do sometimse I can't wake up in the morning! My siblings have the same problem and I feel like they've learned it from me.

Long story short, I really want to get off meds and take control of my "adhd", do you guys believe in the label and the meds or not? The days I don't take Ritalin, im usually late to school because I woke up late.

the thing that bothers me the MOST is i see plenty of my friends struggling at school and just about anyone can qualify for adhd but I get a free pass and drugs to help me study because i have the diagnosis. that's not fair! if a persons parents want them to do well in school and they see their child struggling, adhd it is. I'm sorry if im coming off rude, it's just really getting to me that Ritalin can help anyone study, but only people with ADD get it. How does that make sense? Where do you draw the line? All my friends seem like they have ADHD! If its so common, why is it even considered a mental illness?

this topic really makes me anxious and annoyed, im really sorry if ive come off rude i need help ahaha

The neuroplasticity people want to sell you books. Buy the books if you want to.

But while you're reading them, take a realistic look at yourself. Do you actually develop good habits just by trying?

I didn't think so. :) I don't either.

Lunacie
04-16-16, 09:09 PM

If you could have developed better habits on your own, you would have done so.

The meds can help you develop better habits, and with practice you might be able to use those habits even if you stop taking the meds.

It can be very hard to accept that we have a difference from most people we know, you may feel grief or anger or guilt.

You might feel those same things if you suddenly were diagnosed with myopia and had to start wearing glasses or contacts.

Glasses or contacts help your eyes to focus, and stimulant meds help your brain to focus. It's as simple as that.

Daydreamin22
04-16-16, 09:17 PM
I am for no meds all the way. I have seen and heard of too many horror stories and the pharmaceutical industry hasn't done enough tests on what they are giving people.

mctavish23
04-16-16, 09:25 PM
fyi,

Rating scales are NOT diagnostic, in and of themselves. Of all the types of Rating

Scales available, Teachers are the Least accurate. An evidence based ADHD diagnosis

is developed by Questions Regarding Family History and (Your) History of Impairments in

Daily Activities (when compared with same age/same gender, non-ADHD peers). Other

types of Test Scores are also NEVER diagnostic either.

As for "Why Ritalin (to treat ADHD) ? Simply put, because it works to treat ADHD, by

addressing the chemical irregularities found to be associated with it. That's the short

version. Just know that ADHD is THE most widely researched childhood disorder/develop-

-mental disability on earth, with a clearly defined evidence (research derived and

supported) based protocol for Diagnosis & Treatment.

Good luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Impromptu_DTour
04-16-16, 10:47 PM
Thanks for sharing where you're at with things, and welcome to the forums - whether you're pro or anti med, this is a great place to come to find support and insights, especially with curving behaviors and addressing some of the goals that you've described.

Firstly, its great that your medication is working well for you, i dont think i would take that for granted.. ritalin doesnt necissarilly work for everybody, but as McTavish said, its the primary method of initially treating adhd - because it works, and works well. Many other options simply dont.

I think it's important for anybody with ADHD, (and especially their parents, adult children and partners), to really learn about what ADHD really is, and understand where their misconceptions are, so they can provide the best ongoing support. ADHD can be a very pervasive and admirably destructive disorder which demolishes educations, careers, marrages, ruins families, statistically introduces a life of addiction and crime. Without sounding crass.. you should feel lucky that ADHD is for you, what it is. For many it's not.. because ADHD is not the same for everybody. The only reason why you have a diagnosis, is because you "rank" high enough on several symptoms.. of a collection of symptoms. There are people who are completely unable to function in society, even on medication. So.. i dunno.. i'd appreciate that aspect =) i would also recognize that.. it changes. Ya it can get better because of healthy coping mechanisms, but it can also get far worse.

I also think its important for people to understand exactly what ADHD medications do, how they work, and what they DONT do.. for instance.. Ritalin does not do a damn thing to make you smarter in any way shape or form. It does numb out negative symptoms, so that you can concentrate on the smart stuff, but it doesnt make you smarter. Additionally, it needs to be understood that medication at an early age, has been proven to reduce Substance Abuse Disorders later on in life. kind of backwards, but science be crazy. I also wouldnt worry about university or college.. legally they have to accommodate people with learning disabilities and other mental health disorders, and you'll probably be very surprised by how many people walk around with an ADHD diagnosis. Its not as uncommon as it used to be. And it is most certainly NOT a childhood disorder. Its a lifetime struggle. the school shrink at your college or university is there to help you succeed, not condemn you for being on ritalin. Having ADHD is definately not something to be ashamed of. Everybody has their bag of challenges. The number of people who WONT pass judgement now adays? might surprise you.

Alot of people, regardless of the diagnosis, can run into feeling something like survivors guilt, which is something that it sounds like you're going through kinda. I mean, youve only had an "official" awareness of ADHD, and have found a treatment method that works, for several months? I can understand feeling a bit guilty.. but you shouldnt. Realize that this is one step closer to how your life could be without having a disorder developes with you, and curves how you yourself develop, emotionally, psychologically, perceptually, sociologically and behaviorally.

Its not just a "learning disorder" that kids suffer from. Its kind of a big deal.. i applaud you for wanting to stick it out on your own, but consider this.. you've known about your "issues" (whether or not you knew they were ADHD issues), much of your life.. i assume you've had a desire to beat these habbits, longer than a couple months.. you probably should take a hard look at the fact that you havnt been able to, and for good reason.. its not that simple. You're talking about firstly, identifying behaviors that need to be curved, then figuring out how to change them yourself. Commendable, and i am applauding you.. but i offer a word of caution. Pace yourself.. and take smaller bites. An ADHD diagnosis SHOULDNT make your life any easier.. what it should do is make you more aware of why it isnt easier. Retrofitting literally your entire LIFE, and how you developed.. is not a weekend project.

You're main goal.. should not be to be in pace with everybody else in your class. After high school, you'll be lucky to still be in contact with many of those people when you (or they) go off to college.. you should focus on you, your goals, and what you are going to do to get yourself there.

Do i think you can do it? Develop methods of coping with your struggles, in a way that minimizes a need to be on a medication to succeed in life? Absolutely.. it might be easier for you than it is for me, or anybody else on this board. I dont want to discourage you from moving in that direction.. thats not my intention.

Myself, i have a dual diagnosis of ADHD-C and BP2. My psychatric nurse at my college works very closely with me to make sure that my medication is not inhibiting my ability to progress in school. I most certainly do not have an advantage over my peers, and consider myself one of the many people with ADHD who struggles, even with medication. I just dropped from 60mg of XR Adderall + 20mg IR Ritalin, per day. Now im at 60mg of IR Ritalin / day.. and truthfully that change is kicking my ***.. I also dont want to be on medication, and its a goal which is the reason why im persuing the education that i am.. but the struggle is real. I would probably not be alive if it wasnt for medication.. and i most certainly wouldnt be in college pursuing 2 bachelors degrees.

Learn yourself some stuff. What ADHD is, and what ADHD isnt. Who ADHD affects. Be aware that documentaries on the big bad pharma companies.. and forums full of opinions from armchair internet activists (for and against) should be taken with a grain of salt.. however let them raise questions that you research for yourself, its far better to learn from peer reviewed journals of psychiatry, neuropsychology, and an observation of cold hard science. Build yourself up with some facts.

Your life and your future is too valuable to be governed by someone else's "opinion" on something that likely, they dont have to deal with every day of their life, from the moment they wake, to the moment they are able to fall asleep.

iDTour

sarahsweets
04-17-16, 11:46 AM
I am for no meds all the way. I have seen and heard of too many horror stories and the pharmaceutical industry hasn't done enough tests on what they are giving people.

Sources? The evidence is that these meds have been around for over 50 years. If you want to read a good success story of someone who started meds at age 4, read my sticky in children's diagnosis. I was accused of trying to parent via meds. As if the choice to medicate was an easy one. As if I was shirking my duties and looking for a ritalin baby sitter. Thank god the internet was brand new in the 90's or like you, I would have fallen prey to the anti-med big pharma conspiracy that is backed up with 'fear facts' and no real evidence.

Roundmouth
04-17-16, 01:00 PM
Sources?
Scientology!

Little Missy
04-17-16, 03:02 PM
:eek:Scientology!:eek:

Abcdef
04-17-16, 04:23 PM
First thing you need to do is except you are different.

Medication doesn't give you an unfair advantage over everyone else, it only brings you up to your potential as if you had been born without adhd.

It doesn't increase intelligence- rather eliminate negative side effects that can get in the way of achieving your true potential.

Also your friends are idiots if they think you are "cheating" by taking ritalin. Whoever labeled adhd meds as "smart drugs" are spiteful and uneducated specimens.

Are people who take TRT labeled as cheaters? No they aren't, because they are only compensating for a deficiency ,only if they abuse it then they can put in that category. Even then adhd meds don't work that way, more than an optimum dose does not increase ability!

I'm done!

Do whats best for you and don't worry about what anyone else says!

dvdnvwls
04-17-16, 08:24 PM
Medication doesn't give you an unfair advantage over everyone else, it only brings you up to your potential as if you had been born without adhd.

In fact, it only brings you part of the way there. It isn't perfect.

SJB928
04-29-16, 07:38 PM
There is a simple answer to question of "why are ADHD allowed ritalin?"

It works, it's just that simple.

Roundmouth
04-29-16, 07:52 PM
There is a simple answer to question of "why are ADHD allowed ritalin?"

It works, it's just that simple.

Originally that was the very definition. Some hyperactive kids responded in an unexpected way to stimulants. There was treatment already before there was an actual diagnosis.