View Full Version : Real laugh vs. fake laugh?

BellaVita
04-16-16, 08:14 PM
In this video about why we laugh, it says that humans are pretty good at telling whether someone is fake laughing or not.

There is a part of the video where it has you listen to 2 different laughs, and asks you to determine which one is real laughter.

I want to see how good we on the forum are at telling if it is real vs fake laughter.

Skip to 4:41 to listen to the two recordings of laughter, perhaps pause the video to guess if you need to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WzVMZunzaM

I got it wrong. I was SO sure I was right too! :o

Makes me wonder how often I'm misreading people, haha. I've noticed in the past that when someone points out someone else was fake laughing, I was completely clueless that they were.

I wanna know what your results are!

dvdnvwls
04-16-16, 08:52 PM
I got it on the first try, and didn't need to listen to the helpful repeats.

Lunacie
04-16-16, 08:59 PM
I listened to the first part of the video before skipping ahead, so I heard him explain that we don't actually make a "ha ha ha" sound when we laugh.

Since I could hear "ha ha ha" in the first I figured that one was fake laughter.

Fortune
04-17-16, 03:29 AM
I got it wrong. I was SO sure I was right too! :o

Makes me wonder how often I'm misreading people, haha. I've noticed in the past that when someone points out someone else was fake laughing, I was completely clueless that they were.

I wanna know what your results are!

I got it wrong too. I was like 1/3 thinking it was the correct one and 2/3 thinking it was the wrong one. If I'd had more time to analyze it, I probably would have figured it out.

Then again I am pretty sure most people don't need to engage in real-time analysis to figure this out.

Fuzzy12
04-17-16, 04:14 AM
I got it right but mainly because I had read first the post above (didn't watch the whole video) about what is a sign of fake laughter. Otherwise I'm not sure I'd have been able to detect it. :scratch:

Roundmouth
04-17-16, 04:30 AM
None of them sounded very natural.

BellaVita
04-17-16, 04:42 AM
I got it wrong too. I was like 1/3 thinking it was the correct one and 2/3 thinking it was the wrong one. If I'd had more time to analyze it, I probably would have figured it out.

Then again I am pretty sure most people don't need to engage in real-time analysis to figure this out.

I did pause it and analyze it. I thought it was the first one because it sounded more excited and loud, more energy behind it. And it was faster sounding than the other one.

acdc01
04-17-16, 04:18 PM
I got it right on the first try. The first one sounded really fake to me. Interesting thread.

TygerSan
04-17-16, 04:25 PM
I have some autistic traits (sensory issues-- mostly resolved but not completely; change-of-plans always takes me a bit of time and an "overreaction" to process and adapt) but one of the things I've always been good at is telling if someone's being fake or not, judging by tone-of-voice Laughs, apparently, included. The first one just "felt" wrong to me. (Though the other laugh felt a bit forced as well, somehow).

Sometimes this ability backfires, though, because I don't know why the individual is being fake. Sometimes it's because they're as socially awkward as I am and are trying to fake it to make it. Took me a *long* time to realize that. My hackles still get raised by tone-of-voice though. Almost viscerally.

midnightstar
04-17-16, 04:32 PM
I got it wrong as well, I thought they were both fake :o

Fortune
04-17-16, 04:35 PM
I did pause it and analyze it. I thought it was the first one because it sounded more excited and loud, more energy behind it. And it was faster sounding than the other one.

I'll never be able to pause a conversation and analyze a laugh for veracity before the moment has moved on.

As far as being able to possibly come to the correct conclusion given time, I've had a lot of practice doing that, and it's no guarantee that I am actually correct.

TygerSan
04-17-16, 04:51 PM
I got it wrong as well, I thought they were both fake :o

I went with the one that felt the least fake. Not the most genuine. Makes me wonder what the situation was that triggered the "real" laugh.

midnightstar
04-17-16, 04:56 PM
I went with the one that felt the least fake. Not the most genuine. Makes me wonder what the situation was that triggered the "real" laugh.

I still think both laughs were secretly fake :lol:

hythlodaeus
04-17-16, 05:38 PM
I took issue with this a little bit because the first laugh sounded fake but the second one sounded sort of bizarre too.

I probably fake laugh a lot, but there is little that really makes me laugh hard and I get a lot of enjoyment in life by deliberately seeing the humor and letting it wash over me and laugh.

Deciding to see the humor in life and enjoy it is sort of a worldview and life decision. So I wonder if people would say my laughing is fake. Sometimes it is but then again, how much of what we do is really spontaneous, we think about everything.

I'll have to think about it more. I can stop all laughter so does that make it fake? What constitutes fake and real?

Little Missy
04-17-16, 06:45 PM
A real laugh is when you cross your legs, brace yourself in the door frame, throw your head back and howl while the luminescence from the lampposts glint off of your gold teeth.:)