View Full Version : Vyvanse and food

QuasarMind
04-16-16, 08:47 PM
Hi,

I recently got in a little spackle with another member over the effects of Vyvanse and food. The PI says it only delays T-max by one hour without decreasing the overall absorption. It also has addendum saying that it has been found acidic intake and ascorbic acid (vitamin c) accelerate the metabolism of Vyvanse insinuating yet further down in the PI it recommends taking Vyvanse with orange juice. I have not readily tested which is necessary for any kind of accurate conclusions, but my one consumption of Vyvanse with a 16oz orange juice seemed to diminish the effects around 50%.

What I have tested many times is taking Vyvanse w/food through 3 hours after eating food.

Here are my findings. 70mg Vyvanse for all tests.
1 bowl cereal/milk w/ Vyvanse = est 30% diminished effect with slight delay of onset.
2 bowls cereal/milk w/ Vyvanse = est 45% diminished effect with a delay of onset

One lean cut BBQ sandwich w/ Vyvanse: 50% diminished effect with significant delay of onset. 1hr after Vyvanse, 40% diminished effect with delay of onset. 3hr after Vyvanse = no reduction in effect.

One lean cut BBQ sandwich w/ small order of seemingly lesser greasy fries w/ Vyvanse = 70% diminished effect, considerable delay of onset. After 1hr = 50% diminished effect plus delayed onset. 2hr after Vyvanse = 50% reduction in effectiveness and delay of onset. 3hr after Vyvanse = not significant, less than 20% if any.

One lunch special at Eaton Hole, either 6oz chicken fried steak or 6oz sirloin steak w/ green beans and loaded baked potato

With Vyvanse = almost 100% diminished effect of Vyvanse. 1hr after Vyvanse, not sure of the %, zero feel of stimulant effect (I need in my inattentive case) with slightly clearer thinking than without Vyvanse. Perhaps 85-90% diminished effect. 2hr after Vyvanse = around 2/3 (67%) diminished effect but strong enough to be therapeutic. 3hr after Vyvanse = not tested but I'm guessing it would be around 30%.

I have also found drinking moderate levels of water/any liquid reduces effect some. I have not done as much testing but one time I drunk about 32oz of water with my Vyvanse and found the effect to be considerably reduced, around 40-45%. After I discovered this I tested this with approx. 16oz of water and found the effect to be diminished by around 30%. Baseline value with 4oz or less of water, which now is my consumption for the first 3 hours of taking Vyvanse.

I have found that setting my alarm 1 to 1-1.5 hours before my planned wake time and final alarm helps a lot. This may or may not cause grief with your sleeping habits and schedule. My experience is Vyvanse doesn't become effective until about hour 2 and isn't fully effective until hour 3.

I would like to hear comments and feedback

sarahsweets
04-17-16, 12:00 PM
My experience was very different. Because of the fact that it kinda works with digestion vs against it I always found it helpful to eat something. I am surprised that the PI tells you to drink something to increase its absorption, and help it work more quickly. I have never heard of another drug company telling you how to circumvent in a way, the way the medication is supposed to work. How did you arrive at the percentages you mentioned?
I agree with you about water. It seemed to just fill me up and like...over saturate the stomach and gut? Thats just my personal experience, not fact.
Granted I am biased against vyvanse due to how long it takes to work, how long it lasts and how its marketed but thats another story.
Hope this sounds like an educated enough response, wouldnt want to spread misinformation. ;)

missclairol
06-02-16, 10:52 PM
I am so confused. Relatively new to vyvanse and hear so many conflicting reports. I have no idea what to go now. Their web site says you can take it wit a glass of orange juice but so many people on forums say no ��

C15H25N3O
06-03-16, 08:05 AM
I have the best effects without any food while Vyvanse is working.

Just give it a try and live it! If you try all different kinds of foods with minor differences in Vyvanses effectiveness
you let the med become the center of your life. Vyvanse must not be the center! Its more the friend being there with and for you.

... and enjoy living with Vyvanse instead of blocking you. Ritalin is a dopamine blocker. Amphetamine is more a flooder. :-)

QuasarMind
06-05-16, 12:49 PM
I have the best effects without any food while Vyvanse is working.

Just give it a try and live it! If you try all different kinds of foods with minor differences in Vyvanses effectiveness
you let the med become the center of your life. Vyvanse must not be the center! Its more the friend being there with and for you.

... and enjoy living with Vyvanse instead of blocking you. Ritalin is a dopamine blocker. Amphetamine is more a flooder. :-)

I did not know Ritalin is a dopamine blocker??? Do you care to cite your sources and explain? I must admit Ritalin did little to cure my ADD by only working a little but it didn't go backwards.

spunky84
06-05-16, 01:27 PM
I am so confused. Relatively new to vyvanse and hear so many conflicting reports. I have no idea what to go now. Their web site says you can take it wit a glass of orange juice but so many people on forums say no ��

Honestly, I think it may be different for everyone. I've read where drinking too much may make it less effective. Some say eat, some say don't. I think the best thing would be to try and see what's best for you. Keep a log of what and when you're eating and drinking and how much. Note how you respond that day.

I don't overhydrate, but for me, if I'm too dehydrated, it seems to not work as well. The days it seems to work best for me is keeping reasonably hydrated (not over or under), eat, and get at least 5 hours of sleep. If I don't sleep or eat enough, for me, it exacerbates the symptoms which in turn makes it feel like it's not working very well.

I've read so many different things about what works and doesn't. I just really think it's an individual thing like in the way that a specific med doesn't work the same for everyone. For some, it works very well, others not so well, etc.

I did not know Ritalin is a dopamine blocker??? Do you care to cite your sources and explain? I must admit Ritalin did little to cure my ADD by only working a little but it didn't go backwards.

Is Concerta basically a long acting Ritalin? I thought I had read somewhere that it is (and if not then feel free to ignore!), but I was put on Concerta several years ago and didn't feel any benefit with it.

I'm curious to see if there's something common in those who don't really benefit from Ritalin but they do Vyvanse or others and vice versa.

C15H25N3O
06-05-16, 08:44 PM
I did not know Ritalin is a dopamine blocker??? Do you care to cite your sources and explain?. I must admit Ritalin did little to cure my ADD by only working a little but it didn't go backwards

Have a look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate

3rd paragaraph from methylphenidate @ wiki:
ADHD and other similar conditions are believed to be linked to sub-performance of the dopamine and norepinephrine functions in the brain, primarily in the prefrontal cortex, responsible for executive function (e.g., reasoning, inhibiting behaviors, organizing, problem solving, planning, etc.).[8][9] Methylphenidate's mechanism of action involves the inhibition of catecholamine reuptake, primarily as a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Methylphenidate acts by blocking the dopamine transporter and norepinephrine transporter, leading to increased concentrations of dopamine and norepinephrine within the synaptic cleft. This effect in turn leads to increased neurotransmission of dopamine and norepinephrine.[10] Methylphenidate is also a weak 5HT1A receptor agonist.[11]

C15H25N3O
06-05-16, 09:52 PM
The mechanisms of stimulants are not only about simple blocking and releasing – its more complicated.
But Methylphenidate is the dopamine-blocker wich makes no release and Amphetamine is more the releaser (which also blocks in some ways).

Ritalin feels for me like blocking my personality and bringing my mind on a rail track in the meaning of convergence while ADHD is usually divergent like a tree.
Amphetamine (especially Vyvanse) is a a mix of convergence and divergence for me, no tunnel view, no rail track but giving me a mind sparkling of ideas.
Ritalin makes me emotionally cold and Vyvanse gives me empathy.

It depends on ones mindset or co-existing conditions which substance would make a better job on everyones ADHD.

Is Concerta basically a long acting Ritalin?
I'm curious to see if there's something common in those who don't really benefit from Ritalin but they do Vyvanse or others and vice versa.

Yes, Ritalin and Concerta are built on the same final substance Methylphenidate.
I am not 100% sure but it should be racemic Dex/Levo-Methylphenidate while Focalin is Dex-Methylphenidate.
D/L = Dextro/Levo meaning the right and left mirrored parts of a substances enantiomer or stereoisomer.
Its the same with Adderall, Dex and Vyvanse. While Adderall is D/L, Dexedrine is only D, and Vyvanse is D on Lysin a protein.

Pure Methylphenidate kicks in fast/hard and works normally 4-5 hours and than crashes.
Ritalin immediate release version kicks in softer or in two parts in the stomach. First kick is after 15-20 minutes and than it builds up smooth.
If you melt it on your tongue you will feel its softer outside than inside. It has a crunchy core that release a little bit later. The redesigned Ritalin
to work longer as double release pellet in a capsule and release part 2 intestinal depending on your metabolism after 4 hours.
Concerta only has a different trick in the releasing mechanism and they tried to build a once-daily-pill.

The main difference on all meds although they are the same substance is the process of production which is called "galenic".
There are patents on they ways of the chemical production they build a substance which is the galenic. Thats why we can buy generics.
The galenic or the stuff the med is made of is the reason why the final substance in pill-A feels/works different than in pill-B.
Its not the powder they increase the volume of some milligrams to build a pill!

So if Concerta does no good job Ritalin could still do a good job. Same is for different amphetamines brands and magnesium, vitamines, ...

Cause there are patents there are pharmaceutical secrets - no conspiracy !!!

I hope you understand my not native english

QuasarMind
06-12-16, 02:07 PM
Well, according to Wikipedia, Ritalin only blocks dopamine reuptake which is exactly the opposite of blocking dopamine. Maybe you have a better source but I just wanted to be sure you aren't confusing blocking/inhibition of reuptake with dopamine blocking.

C15H25N3O
06-12-16, 03:08 PM
Excuse me for confusion. :goodpost:

Correct, I meaned "dopamine reuptake inhibition". "Dopamine blocking" I dont want to imagine.

I felt blocked from Ritalin while Vyvanse let me feel flooded like fountain for better expression.

QuasarMind
06-13-16, 03:00 PM
Re uptake is the primary way a neurotransmitter is dissipated in the brain, so inhibiting it "soaks" the brain in more of that neurotransmitter. Look up what a SSRI is for a better example, Zoloft had an animated commercial of this concept.

I found Concerta to be pretty stale compared to Adderall but it was better than nothing.