View Full Version : Looking for help! New to Forum

Dianel
04-18-16, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

Hoping you could give me some help. I was diagnosed very late in life & immediately went on stimulant meds. The meds helped a lot with focus, concentration but not with some really important other issues. My symptoms go back to early childhood. I have absolutely no motivation. The only thing I was successful with was my job & I have not worked for 12 years due to other health reasons. Now I get very little accomplished every day. The other thing is I don't seem to have the ability or interest in bonding with other humans. I have always been a loner/introvert but not shy. So these two issues are ruining my life & have been for the last 8 years. This was when my husband died. So when you live alone with no one to question your activities it is very easy to just do the bare minimum. My symptoms all equal low dopamine. Various anti depressants have been tried. It is not that they have not worked it is that they make me extremely nauseous & dizzy. Two gave me heartburn so bad I had to lie down. never made it through more than 2-3 days.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has these two issues & what they have done to solve them. Any input will be appreciated.

TheGreatKing
04-19-16, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the forum!
For the motivation, or keep you on route you could always go to counseling.
As for the medications i would bring it up to your gp.

midnightstar
04-20-16, 04:27 AM
Welcome :)

Cyllya
04-20-16, 05:33 AM
Sorry to hear you're having such problems.

I can especially sympathize with the motivation issue. I have depression but got lucky with meds, but even when the depression is treated, I still have a motivation issue. (Depression will certainly make it worse.) I described it in this post (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174843), along with what little I've learned about the problem, but unfortunately, I don't have a solution. :( When I tried to go to a counselor about it, she kept getting hung up on irrelevant stuff.

For the antidepressants that caused heartburn, did you try taking an anti-heartburn medication too? That probably wouldn't be an adequate solution in the long run, but sometimes medication side effects become less severe after a few days or a week.

Sometimes lifestyle factors like exercise can impact depression, but it's really hard to fix those things when you have depression PLUS the aforementioned motivation problem.

Fuzzy12
04-20-16, 07:32 AM
Yes I have a big issue with motivation and getting things done (it's noon here and I'm still lolling about in bed rather than being at work :rolleyes:) and I like to keep my distance from most people. Except for my husband I can't spend more than a couple of hours with anyone else.

With motivation meds helped slightly though not fully but it did help me to get a lot more things done. Behavioral tools helped a bit as well. Exercise is also a big motivation booster if you can find the motivation to exercise. :rolleyes:

The meds also helped to bear other people better.

Dianel
04-21-16, 12:23 AM
Thanks all who replied! Actually I have been in counseling for 8 years. Has not helped all that much. I am a researcher at heart. (it beats actually getting up & doing something, LOL) I also have chronic fatigue, chronic pain & depression. In my searching I found that links between chronic pain/fatigue, AdHd & fibro are being investigated. Saw a natural MD as well as pg. He has me on all sorts of supplements, hormones, etc. Found the MTHFR mutation. Apparently, this has a lot to due with neurotransmitters. Will try seeing him again to see if he can sort any of this out. Again thanks for the input!

dvdnvwls
04-21-16, 12:58 AM
In my experience, and also from conversations with a lot of others, it seems clear to me that there is no medication that will touch the lack of motivation.

sarahsweets
04-21-16, 04:37 AM
Are you comfortable taking all those supplements and hormones?
Thanks all who replied! Actually I have been in counseling for 8 years. Has not helped all that much. I am a researcher at heart. (it beats actually getting up & doing something, LOL) I also have chronic fatigue, chronic pain & depression. In my searching I found that links between chronic pain/fatigue, AdHd & fibro are being investigated. Saw a natural MD as well as pg. He has me on all sorts of supplements, hormones, etc. Found the MTHFR mutation. Apparently, this has a lot to due with neurotransmitters. Will try seeing him again to see if he can sort any of this out. Again thanks for the input!