View Full Version : Vyvanse and Guanfacine (Intuniv)

Madame Bovary
04-19-16, 03:58 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm new here— I've been taking Vyvanse for just under three years, and I've recently started Intuniv (2mg before bed). I did try taking the latter in the morning to decrease anxiety, but it made me far too sleepy so I switched back to taking it in the evening. I was wondering if anyone else has experience taking Intuniv— with or without Vyvanse?

Thank You! :)

Logictab
04-19-16, 05:47 AM
Hi there. I'm on the exact same combination as you. Just started Intuniv 1 week ago (2mg). First night it seemed to interrupt my sleep but now I'm waking up feeling very rested. Im not sure what effect it is having on my concentration yet but time will tell. I do feel very emotionally well at the moment which I believe it can help with but that could just be the Elvanse. Best of luck with this combination! Would be interested to here how you are getting on.

OzymanDeus
04-19-16, 09:53 PM
I've been on Vyvanse 30mg for about 4 months with good efficacy (of course, that is starting to wane, so I have plans to increase my dose HOPEFULLY at my next appointment).

I started seeing a new psychiatrist who prescribed me 1mg guanfacine at bedtime, but allowed me to tinker with the dose to see what works best for me. I find that guanfacine didn't do much in the way of making me tired, so I take it in the morning to help with anxiety.

While it doesn't do much to control my ADHD symptoms, the guanfacine has been the first medication I've taken in 4 years that effectively and consistently controls my anxiety (which I was previously taking cymbalta - unsuccessfully - for). It has been a lifesaver! That's about all there is to it. :P

Madame Bovary
04-20-16, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys! Very informative! OzymanDeus— do you find that it makes you tired in the mornings? It really doesn't do much for sleep for me— it makes me sleepy initially, but that seems to pass quickly—, so I have re-started taking trazadone before bed along with the Intuniv after quitting the former cold turkey ( I had *severe* withdrawals from it), as I am also coming off of yet another zopiclone spell and it was either that or not sleeping at all for days, which I cannot afford to do currently. I think the trazadone definitely adds to the blood pressure decrease of intuniv but I was desperate. Also been quite depressed and anxious lately, which the trazadone helps with.

Intuniv completely gets rid of anxiety for me when taken in the morning, but it makes me exhausted by early evening (I only tried this for two days so the fatigue might wear off, possibly). I told my doc that I tried taking it in the morning, and he says that it should really be taken in the evening... But since it doesn't help with sleep all that much, for me— and I felt completely relaxed when I took it in the morning— I am considering switching back to mornings at some point...

Concentration... I'm not sure. Potentially. I think so. Definitely (I took a couple of days off the Elvanse doing my usual once-in-a-while 'I don't need these meds, I'll just overdose on caffeine' thing, so I think that my perception of its effect is a bit uneven. Earlier this year, before starting trazadone initially, it got to the point where the Elvanse just made me nervous and paranoid— which was how I felt off the meds too, due to life stuff— and the trazadone made that go away, but made me really sleepy. I took 150mg of trazadone before bed last night which previously meant that I would not be able to wake up before 11am, and would spend a large part of the day in a daze. But today I woke up at 6:30, was tired but pleasantly so for a bit, but then the somnolence wore off shortly after taking the Elvanse— I think this must be to do with the 2mg Intuniv last night.

Also, I was initially going to take the day off the Elvanse today, but then decided that I need to get back into the routine of taking the Elvanse at the same time each day, so that my body and sleeping pattern can re-adjust again, so this morning I drank lots of orange juice, which usually stops the Elvanse from working properly. But I'm still concentrating and reading, so the intuniv must be making the Elvanse work for longer/ more effectively. Also, something (Intuniv/Trazadone/orange juice/ combination of all three) prevented that annoying rush that I get with Elvanse on its own— as what goes up must come down— and I feel a lot more level today. Less over-focus on minutia as well.

Does anyone have any experience of skipping Intuniv doses? I know you're advised to taper off if you want to quit due to blood pressure rebound, but do you think taking one or two days off would be particularly problematic? The Intuniv is really really lowering my blood pressure— I smoke, so I assumed it would be a positive, but I think I might be one of those consistent moderate/heavy smokers that actually has slightly low blood pressure— so maybe any rebound effects would not be so bad...? I have a slight ringing in my ears— not when I am engrossed in something, around people, or outside— and I think I had that alone with the Intuniv, but it might be the trazadone combination, or even the after-effects of the zopiclone I took when I first started Intuniv around 1/2 weeks ago. Or the wine that I *stupidly* had in the evening right before taking the Intuniv 2 days ago.

Or it might be the noise from the boiler again.
I really need to get out more.

Logictab
04-21-16, 03:13 AM
Hi Madame Bovary. As far as I'm aware you are not really supposed to skip doses of Intuniv because it is the sort of medicine that builds up in your system to take effect. I think so anyway but don't quote me on that :) With regards to caffeine, I find I can have a few cups of tea throughout the day on Elvane with no problems. I don't really get buzzed from it. I've always been a big tea drinker and drink a lot less on Elvanse but find I still need a bit, possibly because my Elvanse dose is a little low at the moment and wares off in the afternoon

Roundmouth
04-21-16, 03:59 AM
There's an old term within cognitive psychology called 'sluggish cognitive tempo', which is becoming object for research again. It's proposed it's renamed Concentration Deficit Disorder, and may actually be more or less synonymous with the condition that's being diagnosed ADHD-PI, or in some places ADD (meaning ADHD without the hyperactivity/impulsivity part).

Barkley says guanfacine - as well as atomoxetin - usually shows better results than stimulants with typical inattentive symptoms. Small doses of stimulants may sometimes work, but according to him, specific non-stimulants are more effective.

QuasarMind
04-28-16, 08:07 PM
I used to suffer anxiety in social/work interactions on Adderall, I took an appropriate dose of Xanax and it worked wonders with zero side effects. Every other benzo I tried had some kind of cognitive side effect or slowed reflexes. I've ridden mile long wheelies at 100+mph on Xanax, didn't even feel close to being slowed by the medication. I told my doctor that it was the only perfect benzo that had zero side effects, he agreed, but said is sometimes addictive but I never experienced that, even just a little.

I am not allowed to suggest a dose, but back then, at 235-240lbs, I took no more than 1mg every 8-10 hours. 2mg would have some negative effect on me but even at 2mg it probably not even half as much as a 1mg Klonopin. Maybe I can't recommend avoiding high doses??? It doesn't matter, I think you understand my experiences, it's not needed for me, even at my larger weight.

Your doctor might have different warnings, but the only warning I would want someone to know, is do not drink at all on the medication. Even if you take 1mg at 8am and drink at 8pm, even that will substantially potentiate the effect of alcohol. I had enough sense not to do this outside the times I did it accidently, but I would say, if I took a 1mg Xanax within the last 6 hours it would be about double the intoxication and the 12 hour example around 1/3 more. It is important you understand that the difference is not linier, the intoxication is considerably different. I don't drink anymore, not out of necessity, just out of preference, but when I did drink in Texas (90% of the time @ Mexican restaurants) I could drink to the maximium the body could handle without losing my composure, with a Xanax contradiction, my limits and judgement were just gone... which was very consistant with my friends also. Thankfully when I did accidently do this, I was aware of the effects so I just kept my mouth shut and made sure next time I didn't forget I took a Xanax.

Meteodan
04-29-16, 11:59 AM
I take both Vyvanse and Intuniv. My psychiatrist added the Intuniv (1 mg) several months ago after I complained about the reduced duration of effectiveness of Vyvanse. It only slightly helped with that problem, but I was more happy to discover that it really helped with reducing my overall anxiety. It also helped to make my thoughts calmer and more measured. I initially took it in the morning at the same time as my Vyvanse, but after a while, I started to get too sleepy during the day, so I switched it over to the evening, and things are much better now (I also feel like I'm getting better sleep at night). Overall, it's been a net positive for me.

As an aside, however, to truly fix the problem with reduced duration of the Vyvanse, I had to go to a twice-a-day dosing schedule for it.

Meteodan
04-29-16, 12:01 PM
I used to suffer anxiety in social/work interactions on Adderall, I took an appropriate dose of Xanax and it worked wonders with zero side effects. Every other benzo I tried had some kind of cognitive side effect or slowed reflexes. I've ridden mile long wheelies at 100+mph on Xanax, didn't even feel close to being slowed by the medication. I told my doctor that it was the only perfect benzo that had zero side effects, he agreed, but said is sometimes addictive but I never experienced that, even just a little.

I am not allowed to suggest a dose, but back then, at 235-240lbs, I took no more than 1mg every 8-10 hours. 2mg would have some negative effect on me but even at 2mg it probably not even half as much as a 1mg Klonopin. Maybe I can't recommend avoiding high doses??? It doesn't matter, I think you understand my experiences, it's not needed for me, even at my larger weight.

Your doctor might have different warnings, but the only warning I would want someone to know, is do not drink at all on the medication. Even if you take 1mg at 8am and drink at 8pm, even that will substantially potentiate the effect of alcohol. I had enough sense not to do this outside the times I did it accidently, but I would say, if I took a 1mg Xanax within the last 6 hours it would be about double the intoxication and the 12 hour example around 1/3 more. It is important you understand that the difference is not linier, the intoxication is considerably different. I don't drink anymore, not out of necessity, just out of preference, but when I did drink in Texas (90% of the time @ Mexican restaurants) I could drink to the maximium the body could handle without losing my composure, with a Xanax contradiction, my limits and judgement were just gone... which was very consistant with my friends also. Thankfully when I did accidently do this, I was aware of the effects so I just kept my mouth shut and made sure next time I didn't forget I took a Xanax.

This thread is about Intuniv, not Xanax. They are not even close to the same thing.

QuasarMind
05-01-16, 10:03 PM
This thread is about Intuniv, not Xanax. They are not even close to the same thing.

I haven't taken Intuniv, but I have taken Clonidine for the same reason as him as a Xanax alternative and had the same results he did. I went back to Xanax and everything was perfect... the only danger I ever came across on Xanax was alcohol consumption, which typically wasn't a problem for me but like I said sometimes I forgot.