View Full Version : Vyvanse time life

Jiberish
04-20-16, 09:20 AM
So, Vyvanse is supposed to kind of be an all day thing, im completly new to all this. This is the only stimulant I have every taken. It works great, little delayed onset which is to be expected. However, if I take at 8 am, Its off by 1-2. 60mg dose..... Which is on the high side of it. The problem is once it starts wearing off, I get super drowsy.

Im debating on maybe strong doses of coffee in the morning than delaying the onset of it. However If i take it too late, it can interfere with my sleep. Other than that, i have nothing bad to say about the drug. Its helped me unbelievably since I started (undiagnosed for 30 years).

Cheers

QuasarMind
05-01-16, 10:38 PM
Do you eat any breakfast with your Vyvanse? Other people claim different, but upon many different experiments, I have found eating crushes my Vyvanse for the whole day, not just delay it. If I don't eat within 3 hours of taking Vyvanse it lasts 12+ hours for me.

Little Nut
05-02-16, 12:04 AM
If I really wanted to drink coffee because I like coffee I would try it. OTOh Since this is new Med, your body hasn't come to any kind of steady state wrt the Vyvanse yet, you don't know how well it will work for you yet, I wouldn't add something that is going to rock the boat. How did the Doc leave it wrt adjusting dosing and when to get back in touch?

sarahsweets
05-02-16, 08:38 AM
I always say I am biased when it comes to vyvanse for a variety of reasons but in my experience, it never lasts as long as its purported to last.

Little Nut
05-02-16, 10:30 AM
I always say I am biased when it comes to vyvanse for a variety of reasons but in my experience, it never lasts as long as its purported to last.

That is my experience w/ Adderall, Adderall XR and Dexedrine. 3-4hrs max for IR doses. In fact for the XR, I would take it and it would start wearing off before the second dose started at which time I would get very drowsy and sometimes crabby. Went a couple of rounds with my Doc to get his agreement on switching to Dexedrine IR TID/QID, but same overall dose/day. Works MUCH better.

Jiberish
05-02-16, 12:49 PM
From what I have read, meds in general are usually tailored to an individual, and their isn't a right or wrong. The idea of long lasting stimulants is to me to prevent abuse, etc. Its crazy for me because in college I was offered adderall etc, and i was so wound up I was like that sounds like a nightmare!

I am trying with my DR 40 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. He is pretty against Short term meds. I am so new to this im just going with the flow, but it does help me a lot, especially with my racing thoughts, ideas etc. First time in 15 years I have been able to watch a full movie.

With that said though, I have also had bad reactions to other medication classes. SSRIs and me do not mix at all. In fact I got so ****** on them at one point I called my neurologists office in a manic angry state...... First time I was kicked out of a Drs office hahahaha. None the less the work for a lot of people, just not me.

Aside from Vyvanse, I have only done coffee and nicotine. I've been off nicotine for 1.5 months now, and it was hard!

Little Nut, I did what you said, told him exactly what I stated on a previous forum thread. He agreed, and has heard of it not working or being effective that long etc. He states its all about your stomach and how it breaks it down, and how it is metabolized. He didnt seem too concerned, and said lets try two doses.

He doesn't want to try IR anything, and wants to stay in the vyvanse class, which I dont get because its broken into Dexedrine if I remember correctly. Anyways, gonna try this for a month and see how it goes. Other than the short life time, Which I agree with others is about money, I dont have too many complaints. Its a good up and down for a guy like me with some anxiety history. I never feel panic, and honestly it has all but gotten rid of my anxiety. I guess ive dealt with anxiety and worry so long, that I am relieved to find something other than a benzo to help as they are a rough class of meds if not watched correctly.

I dont have trouble falling asleep but wake up a little earlier than usual. But im still early in on the medication class. We will see how it goes!

Thanks all,:thankyou:

dopeamine
05-02-16, 01:08 PM
I would ask your doctor for a "boost" dose of Adderall IR during the mid afternoon in order to give you the small boost you desire

Jiberish
05-02-16, 02:36 PM
He seems against it. Not so sure why. I actually work at the hospital, and they are pretty tight on a lot of things. For instance I had a procedure where I was supposed to be consciously sedated, and the dose was very light in comparison to my roomates old hospital. She said thats ridiculous, and I shouldnt pay for it. hahaha.
We will see how it plays out

Little Nut
05-02-16, 04:14 PM
bguska, My Doc pushed back kinda hard, for him, when I wanted to switch to Dexedrine IR. Maybe you just have to be old and hard-headed to get the IR.;)

iirc the Dexedrine will take 3-4 days to build up in your system and be kinda steady. For me it would then take a week or two for my body to finish adjusting to a change like that, but everyone is likely different and I bet older≠faster.

To me, your Doctor's approach seems pretty sound. If you still have issues after a couple of weeks ask him what you should try next. Let Me Know How It Goes, -LN

Jiberish
05-02-16, 05:45 PM
Little Nut, Thanks.

I guess working in the field especially evenings in the ER, you see more of the abusive side of things. I am also more empathetic than most people I work with towards those people as a lot of my friends are recovering from drugs or alcohol or both. I can see where Dr.s would like it better, in terms of them being afraid of people using it wrong etc. Im gonna give it a few weeks as well.

On another note. Before my back gave out I worked out a ton, took some risk taking sports to the next level and such. Do you guys ever back off when you start exercising? Im just wondering if the dose right now is such because lack of exercise, and as i get better (after surgery) I would like to get back to my normal activities....and exercise really helped my ADHD symptoms, it was just hard to do it all the time with work obviously.

This drug has really helped, im liking it for now...... very smooth no big crash, I think the sleep will get better as it already has. But its still early!

Thanks again you guys!

Little Nut
05-02-16, 08:15 PM
bguska, Can't help much with that, but I know many of the folks here say that excersise makes a big difference, so they are bound to know what if any dose adjustments are needed when adding in strenuous exercise.

Jiberish
05-02-16, 09:22 PM
NO worries man thanks for all your insight!

sarahsweets
05-03-16, 11:21 AM
From what I have read, meds in general are usually tailored to an individual, and their isn't a right or wrong. The idea of long lasting stimulants is to me to prevent abuse, etc. Its crazy for me because in college I was offered adderall etc, and i was so wound up I was like that sounds like a nightmare!
I dont understand why doctors are so much for 'abuse proof' (which vyvanse is not) drugs. Its like they assume you are an addict until you prove otherwise, and how the hell do you prove that? This, coming from a doctor in the state that its legal to recreationally use weed.

I am trying with my DR 40 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. He is pretty against Short term meds. I am so new to this im just going with the flow, but it does help me a lot, especially with my racing thoughts, ideas etc. First time in 15 years I have been able to watch a full movie.
Personally I would go in armed with research and make him give me his best answer for why he thinks that. Stuff like effectiveness, clinical studies and how adhd people are less likely to abuse drugs when treated effectively.

He doesn't want to try IR anything, and wants to stay in the vyvanse class, which I dont get because its broken into Dexedrine if I remember correctly.
get a second opinion from a different doctor. They cant all be this ignorant in Colorado.

Jiberish
05-03-16, 03:15 PM
Hey Sarah.....

I couldn't agree with you more. Again, working in an ER I see a lot of Drug seekers faking it until I CT scan them and theirs some very justifiable pathology. (ie kidney stones, Appendicitis etc, herniated discs) A lot of nurses are very quick to judge. I guess what concerns me to, is I also see the real drug seekers too, but in terms of pain med abuse (most common seen in ER) not everyone who is on it, even for a long time, is addicted. Dependency probably, but their are significant differences IMO. For example. I was taking up to 30 MG of Percocet a day when this started for about 2 months with my back injury. Leading up to a surgery soon, I wanted to lower my tolerance because I know it improves the recovery process in terms of time. So I just started taking less slowly, and ive had zero withdraw and im down to 10 a day over 2 weeks of ASKING my Dr. if I can taper down.

I had issues with her when I first saw her about being on klonopin .5mg daily, or PRN. Her initial assessment was your here for meds. She cut me off completely of klonopin and I ended up in the ER with a BP of 165/120 and had horrible anxiety especially because of my injury, pain level, and lack of mobility (which helps my anxiety). The ER doctors that I work with were livid to say the least. They saw absolutely no reason to stop, because of small dose. Ironically this is when I saw a psychiatrist because I had horrible reactions to SSRIs that they gave me, and thats where he said I am a classic case of Adult ADHD haha. I actually got thrown out of my Neurosurgeon's office because I was so edgy being on SSRIs which is very not like me, especially because I knew the dr from working with him. Phsych Dr put me back on Klonopin said not to worry, I was on a low dose. (which I knew)

But that is what really upset me is, I knew what was working, and she went and messed it all up, that caused further distress, and pushed surgery off farther. Now I am scared to go back to work after I even get surgery because of all this.

I will talk with the Dr. I think the research is pretty solid from what I've seen on here, and from other drs opinions as well. Im still going to give it a week or two to see if anything improves. I have a history of bad reactions with meds, so im really happy im not having bad side affects. The only thing I have is insomnia, but its from a racing mind as the meds wear off if you will....which is what causes my anxiety........(so we are thinking). I can say that the days ive been on it, it has been the first time ive been able to watch a movie, not worry about all the things I always did (which were never real worries anyways) and ive been rather happy considering I usually have to workout to maintain this level of happiness.

Thank you guys for all the help from a newly diagnosed person. The research I have seen has painted a pretty clear picture of my life. Still kind of in shock.