View Full Version : 3 "Projects" - Plan to get unstuck

willow129
04-20-16, 07:09 PM
OK so I'm on vacation. I have 3 big things:

1. Lesson plan - this means thinking about now until the end of the year, so some creativity and big picture type stuff needed.

2. Clean apartment, potentially organize things. I don't know how important this is but I think I would like it and I have neglected cleaning stuff for a while because of the school play.

3. Practice the music for the album I will be recording with my friends this summer :) :D Rehearsals are in 2 days.

But I was really stuck on where to start with all this cuz it's vacation and my days don't have structure.

Had my therapy appointment today and brought this up to her and we made a plan for me tomorrow.
11ish breakfast/getting ready for day/walk outside
12:30 ish lesson plan for Monday classes <-we broke this down a little too
3:30 ish lunch/walk outside
4:30 - 6:30 ish practice music

after that social time or whatever I want to do - continue on music/lesson planning/cleaning perhaps as well.

We focused on trying to make it realistic - like, I'm not probably going to get up early. And she advised me to use alarms as reminders to start the next thing.

I've made plans like this for myself before, I explained this to her, and I don't stick to them. I procrastinate or get distracted. Then it's like a double whammy of guilt and frustration because not only did I not get what I wanted to get done but I also didn't stick to my plan.

What I really like is she said, this is an experiment. You are gathering data. There isn't right or wrong. Take notes on what worked and where things went off, or where you felt accomplished, and then we can talk about it next time.

I was feeling really anxious about making a plan and then probably ending up reporting how I didn't accomplish it next time, but I love that idea of taking notes/gathering data. I think this might be really useful.

Anyways I wanted to throw that out there for you all :) Maybe could be a useful frame of mind for someone else as well.

WheresMyMind
04-20-16, 11:07 PM
Warning: Thread sidestep.

I need to figure out what kind of goals I should have for music practice. I'm a beginner at bass guitar and drums. The concept of learning a song is beyond me at this point, it probably all has to do with learning how to use my body to play the instrument.

But...I can't get myself to practice, because once I face the instrument, I think "What am I supposed to do? What should be better in an hour?"

Thanks....

Fuzzy12
04-20-16, 11:31 PM
I like the data collection idea!! I might try that myself. Thanks for sharing and best 9f luck. :)

psychopathetic
04-20-16, 11:41 PM
IMHO...I think you should re-prioritize and redo your list.

1.) Moar ADDF.

2.) Many moar ADDF.

3.) Many much moar ADDF.

psychopathetic
04-20-16, 11:46 PM
On a more serious note...I really like what your therapist said about treating this as an experiment to see what works and what doesn't. Just a really cool way of looking at it...a nice way of taking some of the pressure of it all away.

...And omgosh! You're recording an album!!!??? That's SO exciting! :D What instrument will you be playing? Clarinet?

Also, how long is your vacation?

And I don't do well with no structure! And yet at the same time...I tend to resist structure when possible! haha :doh:

DJ Bill
04-21-16, 10:44 AM
I'd be using somebody as an accountability partner if I had those goals...

Practicing might be as simple as playing along with a song, if you are doing an original song and can't find a recording, try to find something similar to play along with. Start with the Bass Guitar just exploring with the beat and finding the right note(s). When you get tired of that, play the drums.

Best of luck to you... this is "doing the work" and it gets easier as you accomplish small goals.

stef
04-21-16, 11:02 AM
I love the experiment idea!
right now i feel overwhelmrd the minute i even write down a goal
This really helps

sarahsweets
04-21-16, 03:00 PM
I love the experiment idea!
right now i feel overwhelmrd the minute i even write down a goal
This really helps
Omg I so identify. I try and try making to-do lists..I even bought this goal setting planner for 20$ I cant seem to be consistent. If anyone has any ideas on how to use lists and goal settings in a way that would work for me, Id be open.

willow129
04-21-16, 11:42 PM
I use lists a LOT.

So - how things went today, so, unfortunately I went to bed soooo late last night, I was just feeling so mad at myself for not doing what I had planned on doing that I started it all at like 10 PM. gah. And then I was just ashamed of myself, while I was getting things done, for doing them at midnight/1 AM. It reminded me of my mom. I want to have the option of being a good parent someday, I mean I might not ever have the opportunity or whatever but I would love to have the option of having kids... but when I have nights like this I'm like...if I have kids I'll be just like my mom. I'll be terrible. Why am I such a mess.

Anyways, so then I woke up early because now the sun shines in the skylight onto my bed and it's SOOO HOOOT. So I couldn't sleep and I felt horrible. And I tried to nap and my friends were texting me and my crush called and then I noticed that I have a banjo and I forgot to take my Adderall until really late and FWOOOSH there went my morning.

I think I kind of was self sabotaging though because I was mad at myself for going to bed so late.

So, I tried to snap out of it and I got the lesson planning done, but no clarinet :( but lots and lots of banjo...**Wince** and it's 11:18 and I'm almost ready for bed! So that's pretty good.

I'm making myself let go of the things I haven't done right now because clearly it is really important for me to get to bed.

One crucial thing that my best friend pointed out a bit ago about something different but I keep reminding myself - improvement is good. Even a little improvement is good. If I get to bed an hour earlier than last night, that's improvement.

SO: Sarahsweet!! LISTS
I feel like I'm getting pretty good at lists, actually I've totally been living by them. I'm not sure I would get anything done without my lists. :-P
One really important thing is the lists have to be kept in a place you are good at using. If you are not good at using a planner, don't use that. I used to love planners, at the moment I like my lists online (kanbanflow) at the moment. But sometimes your preferences change (in fact often they do, ADHD 'n all), I find they change depending on what's going on in my life, so be aware of if that's happening and be ready to change if necessary.
One of my friends uses whiteboards, that's another option besides planners or some online thing/app.

So, my lists are in categories, I highly recommend categories. If you can't do a thing right now because it's not a Monday item or whatever, then put it on the Tuesday list, things like that, you know what I mean? Then forget about it until Tuesday when you check your Tuesday list.
These are my categories:
Practicing - I have practicing goals for how much I do everyday and I'm keeping track of how I'm doing. I'm not meeting my goals but it's still fun, for some reason I'm not discouraged by this lol. I'm definitely practicing so I guess that's why I feel ok.
AT SCHOOL - this is the list of things that can only be done at school. I ignore it unless I'm at school or adding to this list. When I get to school I open it and then start doing what I can.
LESSON PLANNING - this is the list of lesson planning things that I can do at home OR at school. Only lesson planning things go on this list. At school, I try to only open this list if I've finished my At School list (if I even have time. Which I often don't :P)

Something else I've been doing a little bit is making lists of things that have to be done on certain weekdays, I've mostly designated Monday as the random weekly chore day because it's the day the recycling has to go out, so then that is like:
Change cat litter
Take out trash/recycling
water plants
etc.

I also tend to make just daily lists of at home stuff that I have to remember. Like check the mail, etc. I write things down if I can't do them right away so I can get it out of my head, but I can check back later. And sometimes I will literally also have "shower, brush teeth, have breakfast" haha because the motivation of getting to put a check next to that makes me feel good hahaha and makes me get started. Sometimes to start the day I just have to write down what I need to do, even basic things like that, and then follow the list. So pathetic but it works. I guess it's cuz I get distracted and overwhelmed by everything.
I also - and this is why I like the internet option - can reorganize my lists by what's most important, or I can break a bigger task into small things and then write down each step in the right order and then I just have to go down and accomplish each step in order and that helps me not get distracted as much, I am just following my list.

I also have a list on the wall next to the bathroom of what to do to get ready for bed lol - set alarm, pack bag, make lunch, put out clothes for tomorrow, PJs, brush teeth (used to also have take birth control)
And a list of what I need to make sure I pack to teach my classes the next day.
It feels like I'm a little kid haha and I've had friends comment on them before but it tends to be out of affection haha, even some "hey that's a good idea" but I just feel less overwhelmed by tasks this way.

OK that was a lot I hope there's something in there that's useful.

willow129
04-21-16, 11:51 PM
Oh! So something else I was going to say, eek it's 11:47, ok, so I think sometimes when I get overwhelmed by my lists it's because my "category" is too broad, so like I need to break things off into some other category - so like say my list is

vacuum stairs
vacuum rugs
wash dishes
email landlord about rent
order checks
respond to december gig email
call grandpa
etc

Say I look at that and go AAAHH

Well there's 2 categories there - household chores and like communication stuff, so split that up and then pick which one to do first. Or maybe the 2 categories are things that HAVE TO BE DONE TODAY and things that can kinda wait, whatever it is:
Basically it's about breaking things down, making stuff manageable, realizing you can't do everything so picking what you need to do and then getting started, and putting the rest of the stuff somewhere where you can check on it/won't forget it but it's out of your mind for a sec while you do the other stuff.

willow129
04-22-16, 12:02 AM
Sorry to post 3 times in a row **looks embarrassed**

YEAH I'M GOING TO BE RECORDING ON AN ALBUM ack reading your post gave me butterflies, wow I'm actually doing that!! :D I mean it's not just my album, mostly I'm along for the ride, I'm covering the horn lines heehee so I do what they tell me mostly. But it's going to be really awesome and I have lots to memorize.
I'm actually on another album **pleased-with-self grin** I'm only on 2 tracks but MAN ARE THEY GOOD TRACKS. Or I mean....you know...I think they are....

Yeah I'm playing clarinet :)
Vacation is till this coming Monday! Hurrah!

I know exactly what you mean about structure/no structure. It is a huge struggle for me to be in gray area on this. It's gotta be one or the other...(except that being a musician/teacher kinda means I'm always in gray area. Sigh.) But yeah I really know what you mean. I think it comes from having ADHD but having to make a living like a normal person which means trying to fit my brain into normal people boxes. Gaaaah. :doh:

On a more serious note...I really like what your therapist said about treating this as an experiment to see what works and what doesn't. Just a really cool way of looking at it...a nice way of taking some of the pressure of it all away.

...And omgosh! You're recording an album!!!??? That's SO exciting! :D What instrument will you be playing? Clarinet?

Also, how long is your vacation?

And I don't do well with no structure! And yet at the same time...I tend to resist structure when possible! haha :doh: