View Full Version : Need help with concentrating

Msmossx3
04-22-16, 08:43 AM
Hey folks,
I'm actually working on my masters right now. However, I'm having trouble concentrating whenever I have homework. I find myself going off to my phone (like now). It's probably not my ritalin doing this to me... It's most likely me lol

What kind of techniques work for you to redirect your attention? Thanks!

Chicky75
04-23-16, 12:30 AM
Ugh, concentrating on homework has always been tough for me, especially reading. I recently took a masters level class with lots of reading & despite it being something I'm really interested in, it was a real struggle. There were a couple of things that I did to help myself

used a piece of paper or something guide me when reading, so I could only see the sentence I was on
paid attention to what environment was working or not working for me each time I planned to study - sometimes I need noise around me, like in a cafe, to concentrate, sometimes that totally distracts me
talked about what I was reading, usually to myself since there was no one else, but occasionally to a friend who would listen
used the pomodoro technique of having a timer set for 20 minutes of study time, then a five minute break, with a longer break after 3 or 4 study periods. Sometimes the only thing that got me to open a book was knowing that it would only be for 20 minutes and then I could do something else if it was really not working for me

Those are my tips, for what they're worth; I hope some of that could help you. What are you studying, by the way?

seemingly
04-30-16, 02:11 PM
I have an app on my phone - it is somewhat helpful - basically, you touch the activity ("study", "exercise", "housework", etc.) and the timer automatically starts. To go into another activity you have to stop the timer. This is kind of a pain in the butt, and I don't like "cheating", so 40% of the time I will just continue studying rather than unlock my phone, get to the app, etc.
I still need help with the remaining 60% (like now)!!!