View Full Version : Persistent dizziness. Cause?

KarmanMonkey
04-22-16, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

For the past few weeks I've had persistent dizziness. It gets better and worse, but never really goes away. My blood pressure dips from time to time, but it's not consistently low. I've also had periodic nausea, one near blackout, and a sudden onset of fatigue. It happens sometimes when I first stand up, but most often it's triggered by a sudden head (or even eye) turn.

I have anxiety and depression, but if one of them is the culprit, it's presenting in a new and interesting way.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, and I'm hoping it's something medication related, but I'm frustrated, exhausted, and hate how useless I've been at home.

Does anyone have ideas about what could be causing it?:confused:

DJ Bill
04-22-16, 02:31 PM
I was told it was from dehydration, and low blood pressure upon standing. (Orthostatic Hypotension) Trazadone at night sometimes does it to me before I get to bed.

It wouldn't hurt to drink some water until you pee clear as an experiment.

Lunacie
04-22-16, 04:00 PM
Low blood pressure is often the cause of dizziness. High blood pressure can be as well.

Then there are ear and sinus infections. And other ear problems.

And vitamin B1 deficiency. And heart arrhythmia. Even carbon monoxide poisoning.

And some meds can cause dizziness too.

I wish you good luck in finding and fixing the cause because it's not only annoying, it can be serious.

DrumWeezer
04-22-16, 04:35 PM
I have moderate to severe anxiety. My dizziness is associated mostly with my anxiety and panic disorder. When I started taking Paxil, the dizziness dramatically reduced. Needless to say, when I started taking the Paxil, I also suffered from dizziness because of the medication, but that went away over time. However, when I started taking Adderall a month ago, I started getting dizziness again. This time though it felt a bit different. It especially happened if I didn't eat or was really tired. If I munched on something or laid down for a bit, it would go away. Although the dizziness is not nearly as bad as when I first started taking the Adderall, I still suffer from it from time to time.

Socaljaxs
04-22-16, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

For the past few weeks I've had persistent dizziness. It gets better and worse, but never really goes away. My blood pressure dips from time to time, but it's not consistently low. I've also had periodic nausea, one near blackout, and a sudden onset of fatigue. It happens sometimes when I first stand up, but most often it's triggered by a sudden head (or even eye) turn.

I have anxiety and depression, but if one of them is the culprit, it's presenting in a new and interesting way.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, and I'm hoping it's something medication related, but I'm frustrated, exhausted, and hate how useless I've been at home.

Does anyone have ideas about what could be causing it?:confused:

I think you should be seeing your general practitioner about this. There are a multitude of possible reasons for this. This includes but not limited to

different types of Dysautonomia? I'm waiting to be tested for postural tachycardia syndrome, or POTS.
dehydration
vertigo- Inner ear problems that cause dizziness
Circulation problems
Neurological conditions
Medications
Anxiety disorders.
Anemia
Blood sugar

Just to name a few

Little Missy
04-22-16, 06:19 PM
I'm big on Q-Tips. LOVE them.

aeon
04-23-16, 01:10 AM
That sounds like me after I (unknowingly at the time) had a stroke.

Well-Wishes,
Ian

Kunga Dorji
04-23-16, 03:26 AM
I was told it was from dehydration, and low blood pressure upon standing. (Orthostatic Hypotension) Trazadone at night sometimes does it to me before I get to bed.

It wouldn't hurt to drink some water until you pee clear as an experiment.

The fluctuations with head turning are not consistent with orthostatic intolerance (though that might be one of the causes of symptoms).

Orthostatic intolerance is not a primary cause though it is often a downstream problem. Tradozone may well worsen some symptoms.

The issue with turning your head suggests either a vestibular or a neck cause.

Vestibular issues do cause dysautonomia though- probably the commonest cause in fact.
I have been having a great deal of vestibular and proprioceptive rehabilitation to help my ADHD and it is making a difference. Some of the older posts on my blog cover some of this material.

This work takes time and patience but it is worthwhile.

Kunga Dorji
04-23-16, 03:30 AM
A starting point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQIQypwjXE4

Kunga Dorji
04-23-16, 03:31 AM
Another- this time from a patient who is still having some symptoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvDgTL1R73w (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvDgTL1R73w)

Kunga Dorji
04-23-16, 03:34 AM
However the high powered work is all coming from the Carrick Institute:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWUEFIDZq8

Fuzzy12
04-23-16, 03:52 AM
I wouldn't count on it being related to adhd or your meds. I'd get it checked out by your GP and asap!!

(Do mention it to your psychiatrist as well of course)

sarahsweets
04-23-16, 06:04 AM
I think it could be anxiety but as others have said, it could be physical. I would see my GP and make sure that you blood pressure and heart are ok.

KarmanMonkey
04-26-16, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies; I'll be seeing my GP on Thursday.

Spoke to my psychiatrist, and his feeling was that if it was a med interaction or side effect, since I've been off the med I thought was responsible for a week or so, I should've seen improvement by now. We discussed it, and it doesn't look like it's anxiety either, so it's off to the GP for other tests/investigation.

It's tough, because:
a) I'm worried I'll have a dizzy spell at the wrong moment and hurt my son,

b) I have to frequently redirect and park thoughts of horrible things that might be causing the dizziness (e.g. tumor, stroke) and though I can let go of the thoughts and allow them to pass me by, they keep coming back to visit, and

c) I'm able to do far less around the house at the moment, and I'm acutely aware of how much my absolutely amazing wife has been doing as a result.

Oddly enough, I feel like I'm getting better sleep lately, and doubly oddly, I started coming down with something yesterday (cold?) and my dizziness was better (maybe just because I wasn't moving around as much?).

Here's hoping that I get resolution soon, though. Thanks again!

QueensU_girl
04-29-16, 10:14 AM
1. What meds are you on? (Consider taking them all to your Pharmacist to see if any interact)
2. Any Medical conditions and previous diagnoses?
3. Any illnesses, accidents, injuries, falls or things that could harm your head? (e.g. high fevers, meningitis, car accident, severe headaches, aneurysm)
4. Relevant Family History? (some conditions we develop may run in families)