View Full Version : Switching from Vyvanse 70mg to ritalin IR 20mg/2xday corepharma. Experiences?

mrh235
04-22-16, 11:35 PM
I talked to my doctor and had him switch me from 70mg Vyvanse/day, which is still very effective, but I've been on meds (vyvanse + adderall, but mostly just vyvanse) for around half a decade so I'm developing a bit of tolerance, and I'm hoping to minimize that tolerance, since I'm about to go off to medical school in a few months, and I'm an absolute disaster when my meds don't work right.
Has anyone else switched from Vyvanse to ritalin IR, if so what was your experience like and how long did it cover your symptoms? I was prescribed 5mg of ritalin as a booster back when i was first diagnosed with ADHD and it lasted about 2 hrs maybe 2 hrs and 30 mins. Will the 20 mg dose last longer? The pharmacist told me it can last up to 8 hrs and I'm really hoping she's right. Also is the corepharma generic alright? I switched between generics of adderall years ago, and their generic of adderall was awful, so then I actually had the pharmacist switch me to the sandoz generic, which was much more calming for me, and stable.
I also desperately need advice on how to remember to take my second dose of ritalin each day. Back when I was prescribed vyvanse as my time-released medicine w/ adderall once or twice a day, I'd often forget to take my adderall, and I'd be incredibly spacey, back to pretty much zero short-term memory, very distractible, and end up getting lost/forgetting everything I was supposed to do :(. Like one time I missed a college field trip because of that because basically it was an absolute disaster. How do you remember to take your instant release medicine? I'm basically counting on my gf because she knows how spacey and forgetful and i get off meds and stupid. Like one day I ended up running around her in circles, getting distracted, spacing out on the floor, and forgetting to eat, so it was a pretty vicious cycle of my ADD made it harder for me to remember what to do, and my hunger made me even more distractible :(. I'd greatly appreciate any strategies though.

sarahsweets
04-25-16, 04:51 AM
I talked to my doctor and had him switch me from 70mg Vyvanse/day, which is still very effective, but I've been on meds (vyvanse + adderall, but mostly just vyvanse) for around half a decade so I'm developing a bit of tolerance, and I'm hoping to minimize that tolerance, since I'm about to go off to medical school in a few months,
What makes you think its tolerance?

and I'm an absolute disaster when my meds don't work right.
Has anyone else switched from Vyvanse to ritalin IR, if so what was your experience like and how long did it cover your symptoms? I was prescribed 5mg of ritalin as a booster back when i was first diagnosed with ADHD and it lasted about 2 hrs maybe 2 hrs and 30 mins. Will the 20 mg dose last longer? The pharmacist told me it can last up to 8 hrs and I'm really hoping she's right.
Do you think switching classes of stimulants would work for you? Like from adderall to ritalin, will that work the way you want?
As far as how long it works, if its ritalin, it will last about 4 hours. And a higher dose doesnt mean longer duration.

I also desperately need advice on how to remember to take my second dose of ritalin each day. Back when I was prescribed vyvanse as my time-released medicine w/ adderall once or twice a day, I'd often forget to take my adderall, and I'd be incredibly spacey, back to pretty much zero short-term memory, very distractible, and end up getting lost/forgetting everything I was supposed to do :(. Like one time I missed a college field trip because of that because basically it was an absolute disaster.
I use very detailed pill cases for different times a day. You could also try alarms on your phone.

How do you remember to take your instant release medicine? I'm basically counting on my gf because she knows how spacey and forgetful and i get off meds and stupid. Like one day I ended up running around her in circles, getting distracted, spacing out on the floor, and forgetting to eat, so it was a pretty vicious cycle of my ADD made it harder for me to remember what to do, and my hunger made me even more distractible :(. I'd greatly appreciate any strategies though.
well relying on your gf isnt a way for you to remember to take your meds, its a way for her to remember which wont help you if shes not around. For me, I remember because of how organized my pills are and because I have a rigid sleep routine that helps me structure my day.

mrh235
04-25-16, 06:26 PM
What makes you think its tolerance?

Do you think switching classes of stimulants would work for you? Like from adderall to ritalin, will that work the way you want?
As far as how long it works, if its ritalin, it will last about 4 hours. And a higher dose doesnt mean longer duration.

I use very detailed pill cases for different times a day. You could also try alarms on your phone.

well relying on your gf isnt a way for you to remember to take your meds, its a way for her to remember which wont help you if shes not around. For me, I remember because of how organized my pills are and because I have a rigid sleep routine that helps me structure my day.

Thank you for the advice! :)
I think it's tolerance because my dose suddenly becomes less effective/ineffective after being on it for a while (years). Granted 70mg may just be the right dose for me, and the previous doses may not have been, but the previous doses used to be very effective for me and just crapped out over the years. I really don't want to have to deal with med tolerance again if it is though, so that's why I switched around. What are your thoughts on this? Ritalin is effective now (today is my first day on it and it works as well as vyvanse for me). I tried alarms on my phone previously but it doesn't work when I always lose my phone :(. My gf got me pill cases, so I'll definitely try what you said. I always used to have a problem forgetting if I took my meds daily, so at least I can look at the pill case.

sarahsweets
04-29-16, 04:17 AM
Thank you for the advice! :)
I think it's tolerance because my dose suddenly becomes less effective/ineffective after being on it for a while (years). Granted 70mg may just be the right dose for me, and the previous doses may not have been, but the previous doses used to be very effective for me and just crapped out over the years. I really don't want to have to deal with med tolerance again if it is though, so that's why I switched around. What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts on tolerance are that its a lot more rare than people think it is. Many people confuse the way a med feels with how well its working. Or they confuse half-life with how the medication actually works. For example, Klonopin has a really long half-life, something like 30+ hours I think. So someone with panic disorders or anxiety could take in monday morning and by tuesday need it again. Now, technically the klonopin is still in their body because of its half life, but its not treating their anxiety the way they need it to which is why many people will be prescribed klonopin 1 or even three times a day everyday. Make sense?

Many people get impatient or frustrated that stimulants do not work they way they want or think they should and up the dose. Sometimes when that happens all of a sudden they have all of these negative side effects because the dose is too high. Some people actually needed a smaller dose, or the same dose broken up over the course of the day. I have never actually met someone who kept needing to up their dose over time because of tolerance. I took dexedrine for several years at the same dose, and adderall xr/ir at the same dose for 3 years. I am back to dex and I am actually just this month trying to lower my dose by 10mg (with doctor approval) to see if that is as effective as the previous doses havebeen.

Ritalin is effective now (today is my first day on it and it works as well as vyvanse for me). I tried alarms on my phone previously but it doesn't work when I always lose my phone :(. My gf got me pill cases, so I'll definitely try what you said. I always used to have a problem forgetting if I took my meds daily, so at least I can look at the pill case.

I can pm you link to a really awesome morning and night pill case if you want. It took me a long time to find it and it was worth it because its so awesome and easy to travel with.

mrh235
05-04-16, 11:21 PM
My thoughts on tolerance are that its a lot more rare than people think it is. Many people confuse the way a med feels with how well its working. Or they confuse half-life with how the medication actually works. For example, Klonopin has a really long half-life, something like 30+ hours I think. So someone with panic disorders or anxiety could take in monday morning and by tuesday need it again. Now, technically the klonopin is still in their body because of its half life, but its not treating their anxiety the way they need it to which is why many people will be prescribed klonopin 1 or even three times a day everyday. Make sense?

Many people get impatient or frustrated that stimulants do not work they way they want or think they should and up the dose. Sometimes when that happens all of a sudden they have all of these negative side effects because the dose is too high. Some people actually needed a smaller dose, or the same dose broken up over the course of the day. I have never actually met someone who kept needing to up their dose over time because of tolerance. I took dexedrine for several years at the same dose, and adderall xr/ir at the same dose for 3 years. I am back to dex and I am actually just this month trying to lower my dose by 10mg (with doctor approval) to see if that is as effective as the previous doses havebeen.

I can pm you link to a really awesome morning and night pill case if you want. It took me a long time to find it and it was worth it because its so awesome and easy to travel with.

Sure please PM me the pill case, I'd be insanely appreciative :). My current pill case is kicking my butt, like it's really hard to open, and hard to organize with ADD. Thanks so much for explaining that information about tolerance btw I feel a lot better.