View Full Version : ADHD and alcohol?

cymerau
04-23-16, 01:51 PM
A couple of days ago I read an article about a guy who've learned to use his ADHD to his advantage (link here (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/17/how-to-use-adhd-to-your-advantage-and-improve-your-life.html)) and in the article he mentions that he knows what he can and can't do. Drinking alcohol being one of the things, he can't do. I've been thinking a lot about this exact thing, because I can't handle to drink (no matter how hard I try. Every time I drink, it's like: I feel tipsy, but not too drunk in any way. I then can take literally a sip of beer and then I black out and get way way too drunk).

Maybe not my personal example exactly, but is it a ADHD-thing not to be able to control drinking?
And if so, how do you handle this? Simply by not drinking ever or do you have a method? - Is this with or without medication? I just started on my medication again last week (after a 4 year "break", so I haven't tried getting drunk when getting my medication) and as far as I know, you shouldn't drink if you're on medication, but am I wrong? :o

Have a great day and thanks in advance!

Roundmouth
04-23-16, 04:14 PM
I have a general dissatisfaction problem, a constant craving for something. No actual physical need for alcohol but drinking normally is difficult. I want to be sedated and go to sleep. I won't recommend drinking on medication, but on CS I actually do drink normally.

It's not the CS that's dangerous, nor the mix, but the alcohol. Theorethically they work in opposite directions and stimulation can make people want more alcohol. Not me though, I don't have that lust for alcohol on CS. Best of all is of course not drinking at all, but to me drinking two or three on CS is at least second best.

But people react differently, I'm not saying that others should do the same, but me I won't drink without CS again.

sarahsweets
04-23-16, 04:30 PM
Poor impulse control leads to many addictive behaviors including alcohol abuse so maybe its more common with adhd people. As far as how much alcohol we can physically handle? It depends.

Roundmouth
04-23-16, 05:35 PM
And not only impulse control. Abnormal reward system may also make things worse along with feelings of stress.

dvdnvwls
04-23-16, 06:06 PM
As far as the question of stimulant medication and alcohol, it's better to wait for your medication to wear off before you start drinking. The other part is that if any stimulant is left in your body - even if it's not enough to notice or enough to help your ADHD - it can still be enough to give you the feeling that you're not drunk, even when you are. This means you have to stop drinking before you feel "done", and for a lot of people (especially us with ADHD) stopping before you think you're done can be difficult even at the best of times. If your intention was to get drunk, then this can make drinking a frustrating experience, and some people, faced with that knowledge, would rather just skip the whole thing.

If you simply wanted to know if it was safe to have one drink: Yes, it's safe, but wait for your meds to wear off.

Abcdef
04-23-16, 06:44 PM
Yeah not a great example..I mean $5,000 in a drop of hat...that guy is probably talking..."a million dollars"!!!! xD

Sorry sarcasm aside..could a change of drugs help you?...most definitely..but we are not aware of that.

Sometimes you need to hit a low to reach a high with or without meds

You maybe need to address the drinking b4 the meds or vice versa..only you will know.

Take care

sarahsweets
04-24-16, 10:30 AM
A couple of days ago I read an article about a guy who've learned to use his ADHD to his advantage (link here (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/17/how-to-use-adhd-to-your-advantage-and-improve-your-life.html)) and in the article he mentions that he knows what he can and can't do. Drinking alcohol being one of the things, he can't do. I've been thinking a lot about this exact thing, because I can't handle to drink (no matter how hard I try. Every time I drink, it's like: I feel tipsy, but not too drunk in any way. I then can take literally a sip of beer and then I black out and get way way too drunk).

Maybe not my personal example exactly, but is it a ADHD-thing not to be able to control drinking?
And if so, how do you handle this? Simply by not drinking ever or do you have a method? - Is this with or without medication? I just started on my medication again last week (after a 4 year "break", so I haven't tried getting drunk when getting my medication) and as far as I know, you shouldn't drink if you're on medication, but am I wrong? :o

I read this article too and its complete crap.

As far as alcohol goes its important to think about why drinking alcohol is important enough that you would try and decide about whether to take you meds, or when they wear off in order to drink.

Bouncingoffwall
04-25-16, 05:48 PM

If a sip of beer causes triggers you into a drinking binge, resulting in a blackout, that's not an ADHD problem. "Some" people with ADHD may have that problem but not all. Just like "some" people who happen to have ADHD may be bipolar, OCD, depressed, etc,. but not ALL. ADHD isn't mutually inclusive with any other mental condition.

And you're correct, you shouldn't drink while taking psychotropic medication. At least, you'll end up negating the effects of the medication. Typically, with the stimulants used to treat ADHD, the effect of alcohol is synergistic with the effect of the medication. Both substances combine to create an even more intoxicating effect. One drink might feel like taking three drinks while your medication is in your system. The point of taking ADHD meds is to improve your functioning, not impair it further. So drinking while you're on medication is contrary to the very point of taking meds in the first place. The same phenomenon happens with large doses of caffeine (e.g. an 8 oz. cup of brewed coffee). The synergism results in unpleasant side effects, and could actually be life-threatening!

As for WHEN you can consume alcohol, that's a good question to ask your doc. If you have an agreement with your doc to take medication holidays, or he says it's alright to drink in the late evening when the meds have worn off, you MAY be able to have ONE drink. Personally, I wouldn't push it further than that, and I wouldn't consume over 3 drinks a week (and not on consecutive nights, either!).

You know your body and its responses better than anyone. So if you feel it's best to play it safe and abstain from ALL alcohol, go with your instincts. ESPECIALLY if you can't handle even minute amounts of alcohol without going on a complete bender. Have an open, honest dialog with your doctor about your substance use history and go with his recommendations. I would not try to manipulate your medication regimen in order to drink. If I were in the position you were, and had to make a definite choice, I would sacrifice the alcohol. My medications have proven far more useful to me than alcohol ever did.

Pilgrim
04-25-16, 05:52 PM
I read on an information sheet ,regarding Dex, that you could drink moderately. I had a negative experience whilst drinking and taking Dex. So now I never drink, especially when there's any emotion involved.
I might drink if I'm completely zonked. I can't really describe the negative experience I had but it sucked.

Cyllya
04-27-16, 03:10 AM

ADHD does indeed make most of us more susceptible to addictive behaviors than we would be without it. Alcohol is a total non-issue for me because I can't stand the taste (additional reasons: it's expensive, I don't see the appeal, and I'm already impaired enough when I'm sober), but I do overuse caffeine and "get stuck" on certain activities. For those things, I do sometimes find that I pretty much have to abstain completely to avoid overdoing it. :(