View Full Version : Please help me name emotions when it comes to ADHD/Anxiety Comorbidity

twitchytoupee
04-23-16, 05:24 PM
Hey everyone,

Comorbid Anxiety disorder and ADHD-C here.

I've always had a tough time naming emotions and feelings. I'm getting better, but I'm a bit stumped with a couple right now, I was wondering if you could help me out.

I feel like there is an intersection of ADHD vs Anxiety here which makes it a special little cornucopia. I just want to make sure that I describe things accurately to other people so it's clear when something is ADD related, Anxiety related, or both.

Emotion 1:

Feeling a tightness in my chest, like fear, accompanied with almost obsession about things that stress me out/worry me. Lately this has been about work (since I'm going back soon), but it can really be about anything.

If you were to describe this, would it be worry, or anxiety? How would you define both?

Emotion 2:

Feeling easily agitated, annoyed. Things like noise and physical sensations drive me nuts. I also don't feel like doing anything because nothing can hold my interest, which also annoys me.

If you were to describe this, would it be restlessness, irritability, grouchiness..? How would you define the others?

Emotion 3:

Feeling like I can't stop thinking and it's exhausting. It can be about things that I'm anxious about or just anything at all. Generally greatly interferes with my ability to focus.

Is this racing thoughts, or anxiety?

Jiberish
04-25-16, 07:21 AM
You sound like me: or I sound like you. This is my take and just mine:

Chest tightness......yes oh yes.....some good breathing techniques helped me a ton with this. This is anxiety.....worry is a part of anxiety..... Worry for me is, pretty much determining the worse case scenario over and over again, even though I am constantly proven wrong.

Anxiety will make you agitated. If you think of it, they call it FIGHT or flight. So its not suprising to be edgy. It also can be your hyper sensative to the souns because of your anxiety/adhd.

Racing thoughts. This is how I was diagnosed with ADHD. Forever they though it was just anxiety, but the reality is when I cannot workout stress, or stay engaged in a stimuli, my brain does it internally. This is just my experience. Since Ive started taking meds for ADHD, my brain still goes fairly fast, or I still have ideas running in my head. (racing). HOWEVER, the meds have allowed me to allow those thoughts to just keep turning and slow down. I do not have to reach out in my brain, grab a thought, and think on it all day. I know how hard and frustrating this is. It does create a fog for me anyways. It is very exhausting. I can honestly say, i get sick of hearing people tell me you worry too much. Well no S***.....thanks captain obvious.....let me just flip the light switch hahahahah.

For me, and this is all fairly new. Prior to weeks ago, exercise was my way of dealing with it. Getting my heart rate up. For anxiety, I did extreme sports to stay in the moment (Cant focus on anything else or you get hurt). My Dr added Vyvanse, and the last 2 weeks have been the most stress free, non racing thoughts in my entire life. it has allowed the fog to lift, and bring out the other parts of my brain that have been on the back burner. I still have realistic worry, but thats just it, its realistic. Prior, was not realistic.

I tell people who dont get anxiety this: Pain is logical.......I have a herniated disc right now, and im waiting surgery.......it hurts......it makes sense....herniated disc pushes on nerve causes pain.........

Anxiety is not logical......their is not a cause and effect most the time for me. Constant worry isnt logical. The only logic I can grasp is the chemistry behind it all. (Lack of dopamine, seratonin, noepinephrine ect). But in generall, when you are in a panic, or anxious day, that all irrelavent, and the fact that you are their, is not logical.

Hang in their. Find some books......I highly recommend Spark on the Brain. Very dumbed down science easy to read about exercise and how it helps with the brain and various disordered including what you and me have. It changed me lifestyle, which changed my life.

Pilgrim
04-25-16, 04:37 PM
1. Anxiety. 2. Sensitivity 3. Rumination

I find these emotions the most negative of ADD. I find when taking medication these are sometimes worse.

Rumination on this list, in my experience, is the most destructive. Mindfulness meditation maybe?

twitchytoupee
04-25-16, 05:25 PM
Chest tightness......yes oh yes.....some good breathing techniques helped me a ton with this. This is anxiety.....worry is a part of anxiety..... Worry for me is, pretty much determining the worse case scenario over and over again, even though I am constantly proven wrong.

The thing is I get this when I'm worrying (obviously anxious), but sometimes I'll just have that feeling for the whole day, and it adds a negative, anxious spin to my thoughts.

I guess that's why it's called an anxiety disorder? :P

Racing thoughts. This is how I was diagnosed with ADHD. Forever they though it was just anxiety, but the reality is when I cannot workout stress, or stay engaged in a stimuli, my brain does it internally. This is just my experience. Since Ive started taking meds for ADHD, my brain still goes fairly fast, or I still have ideas running in my head. (racing). HOWEVER, the meds have allowed me to allow those thoughts to just keep turning and slow down. I do not have to reach out in my brain, grab a thought, and think on it all day. I know how hard and frustrating this is. It does create a fog for me anyways. It is very exhausting. I can honestly say, i get sick of hearing people tell me you worry too much. Well no S***.....thanks captain obvious.....let me just flip the light switch hahahahah.

My experience exactly! My Dr just started me on Ritalin, and it's amazing! I didn't realize what "racing thoughts" even meant until I took it the first time and was like "holy crap! I'm not thinking about a million things at once really fast!". Still happens, but when they start to take an anxious bent I can see it coming rather than fall into a hole and realize it 5 minutes later.

My Dr added Vyvanse, and the last 2 weeks have been the most stress free, non racing thoughts in my entire life. it has allowed the fog to lift, and bring out the other parts of my brain that have been on the back burner. I still have realistic worry, but thats just it, its realistic. Prior, was not realistic.

That's great! I'll take a note, I do want to try a couple different medications before settling because, honestly, I don't know what I'm going for. I've been surprised so many times in this past 6 months about crappy things I was doing that I thought were "normal".

Hang in their. Find some books......I highly recommend Spark on the Brain. Very dumbed down science easy to read about exercise and how it helps with the brain and various disordered including what you and me have. It changed me lifestyle, which changed my life.

Thanks for the kind words and help :) I will add that book to my list!

twitchytoupee
04-25-16, 05:27 PM
Rumination on this list, in my experience, is the most destructive. Mindfulness meditation maybe?

Been trying that lately :) I'm sure you can relate, sometimes it's harder to get myself to meditate or otherwise defuse from the rumination than it is to just ride the waves.

Thanks for the help :)

Pilgrim
04-25-16, 05:37 PM
Been trying that lately :) I'm sure you can relate, sometimes it's harder to get myself to meditate or otherwise defuse from the rumination than it is to just ride the waves.

Thanks for the help :)

I'm not an expert, forcing yourself to slow down is completely mental. I've found that riding the waves is great when it works, but it never completely works out this way.
Having strategies of relaxation and meditation are really necessary. I've still got some work to do here.:)