View Full Version : Vyvanse not lasting long

Jiberish
04-24-16, 08:05 PM
So, it seems to be a common deal on here. I am not sure if its just me. First off, vyvanse is the first stimulant I have ever taken besides nicotine/caffeine. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, and this is where we are starting. The good news is, it works great especially with my focus and racing thoughts. I am not as impulsive, and rather calm which is very very very odd for me.

The problem is I take 60MG in the morning at 8 am, and it goes away by 1 pm. I know this drug will not get approved to take two times a day by my insurance. So my question is, are their similar things or alternatives? I see my Dr in a few days. I am not sure if I should add a so called booster, but when vyvanse drops off, its def known as im tired.

I started at 20 mg with no help, at 40 mg, it stopped working sooner, so he said try 60. I know I cannot go up more than this per his instructions.

Thanks,

Little Nut
04-24-16, 10:11 PM
I have not taken Vyvanse and the following is based on my personal experience and readings of stimulants used for ADHD. Also, there isn't enough info in your post to mention alternatives for you to discuss with your Doctor.

Your issue "seems" to be that the Vyvanse's duration is too short for you, not that your dosage is too low. I am going to "assume" that the 40mg dose was effective for your symptoms, but its duration was too short and about the same length of time as the 60 mg. For me, IR amphetamines take ~30 minutes to kick-in and last for 3 hours whether I take 5mg, 10mg, or 15mg. For me a good dose is 7.5mg. If I go much above this I start getting a euphoric "kick".

So did the 40mg treat your symptoms? How long was it effective in treating your symptoms? How long were you taking 40 mg/day? How long were you at 60 mg/day? How long was it effective in treating your symptoms? Do you think 60mg was out the top of your therapeutic dose?

Best Wishes - LN

Jiberish
04-24-16, 11:36 PM
Sorry, The 40 did help, I went up to 60 and it got me two more hours. So at 40 I had 3-4 hours, 60 5-7 hours. I've been at 60mg a day for 5 days. I haven't gone up because of my dr not wanting me to. So all in all, 40 was theraputic, just not long when taken for a week. 60 was therapeutic, longer (5-7 hours), but still not long. I think im hitting the high end of this per recommended dose other than ive read some people use it two times a day. It does help, but my Dr says their is no way insurance will approve two times a day. Wondering of something like it, maybe that I can take more than once a day.

Again, I am really new to this.....it has completely helped me though, in a numerous amount of ways so I think as being lets say a new comer to ADHD, I cant believe how much it has already helped. Seems like I just need to fine tune it.......

I have had troubles in the past with medications particularly SSRIs. I have horrible side effects. So im not suprised if its weird for me. Just trying to find the therapeutic dose that lasts longer. I do not feel a difference in terms of strength between 40 and 60. I just notice the time length difference.

sarahsweets
04-25-16, 04:37 AM
I am biased about vyvanse. I think its one of the biggest money rackets out there when it comes to stimulants. I know its supposed to last like 12 hours but my experience has been that it rarely does.

Jiberish
04-25-16, 06:21 AM
I am with you girl! I actually looked at half lifes vs adderall XR, and they are one hour apart. So that means.....money. However, I can also understand with the way it breaks down in the liver first, it it very very very hard to abuse, so that is the selling point. However, I know its expensive when my personal insurance has to call and pre authorize it. (I work at a hospital and I cannot stand this part of the business).

Im guessing he will put me on something else, or perhaps a booster if that is common for the evenings? Again, new to all this. I can preach all day on anxiety though ;). Learning a lot as I go.....or as I should say, Im hyperfocusing on ADHD right now.

Roundmouth
04-25-16, 08:26 AM
Every single person I've read about reports the same thing with Elvanse, it wears out at noon. The natural thing if the effect is good would be just adding an other one for the afternoon.

Little Nut
04-25-16, 10:27 AM
Sorry, The 40 did help, I went up to 60 and it got me two more hours. So at 40 I had 3-4 hours, 60 5-7 hours. I've been at 60mg a day for 5 days. I haven't gone up because of my dr not wanting me to. So all in all, 40 was theraputic, just not long when taken for a week. 60 was therapeutic, longer (5-7 hours), but still not long. I think im hitting the high end of this per recommended dose other than ive read some people use it two times a day. It does help, but my Dr says their is no way insurance will approve two times a day. Wondering of something like it, maybe that I can take more than once a day.

Again, I am really new to this.....it has completely helped me though, in a numerous amount of ways so I think as being lets say a new comer to ADHD, I cant believe how much it has already helped. Seems like I just need to fine tune it.......

I have had troubles in the past with medications particularly SSRIs. I have horrible side effects. So im not suprised if its weird for me. Just trying to find the therapeutic dose that lasts longer. I do not feel a difference in terms of strength between 40 and 60. I just notice the time length difference.

Assuming you are unable to get your insurance to cover 2 Vyvanse doses/day you will probably need to work with your Doctor's staff to review your insurance's formulary to see what they will and will not easily cover and go from there. If you can handle the 3-4 doses/day, Dexedrine IR would "probably" be an easier transition for you, but you never know until you try it.

Also, if it was me, I would make sure to say to your Doctor what you said in your quoted post.

GL and let me know how it turns out.

Jiberish
04-25-16, 02:43 PM
I have no problem telling the DR about it. What do you mean by "Also, if it was me, I would make sure to say to your Doctor what you said in your quoted post."? I see him thursday, he is very very awesome.

Again, i dont even know what dexedrine is, but im sure we will try something new. He said their is another long term option, that could possibly be a few times a day. No clue on what it is.

I can say though, I am so happy with how this has worked for me, just hoping I can get it to last through the whole day.

Little Nut
04-25-16, 05:09 PM
Excuse me. I think YOUR post that I quoted was clear, concise and to the point on what you have learned so far with Vyvanse and I think it would be a good way to communicate it to your Doctor.

Vyvanse is a combination of an amino acid and Dexedrine. Dexedrine is the active part of Vyvanse and is also prescribed for ADHD. When the Vyvanse is absorbed by your body, it is broken down freeing up the Dexedrine. My comment was that if you have to switch meds and since you have already taken dexedrine via the Vyvanse, that it may be less of a problem.

HTH

Jiberish
04-25-16, 05:18 PM
OH gotcha, Sorry, I didnt mean for that to come out harsh man. hahaha, I just didnt understand it. My bad. I see what you are saying though. That would make sense. I will do just that.

QuasarMind
04-27-16, 03:48 PM
You have probably read me say this before, I take 400mg Wellbutrin every morning to help boost my Vyvanse, which helps me feel more clear headed. I also have found Vyvanse being extremely sensitive to food intake with any amount of food having drastic negative effects on the drug. I have also noticed that drinking too much water softens the effect and time to effectiveness but not as badly as the food. I now only drink about 4 ounces of liquid before hour 3, which depending on the day before, could possibly be unhealthy. Try skipping breakfast like me and see if that helps any. I have found Vyvanse to take about 3 hours to absorb into my body and that is no conservative estimate, it is almost to the minute. I know because if I eat any amount of time before that I can tell its reduced effects. Using my method with my body I have found 70mg Vyvanse lasts at least 12 hours.

sarahsweets
04-27-16, 04:30 PM
You have probably read me say this before, I take 400mg Wellbutrin every morning to help boost my Vyvanse, which helps me feel more clear headed. I also have found Vyvanse being extremely sensitive to food intake with any amount of food having drastic negative effects on the drug. I have also noticed that drinking too much water softens the effect and time to effectiveness but not as badly as the food. I now only drink about 4 ounces of liquid before hour 3, which depending on the day before, could possibly be unhealthy. Try skipping breakfast like me and see if that helps any. I have found Vyvanse to take about 3 hours to absorb into my body and that is no conservative estimate, it is almost to the minute. I know because if I eat any amount of time before that I can tell its reduced effects. Using my method with my body I have found 70mg Vyvanse lasts at least 12 hours.

Since vyvanse kinda works once it reaches the gut, Im surprised that not eating helps you. As far as fluids go what you are doing is very unhealthy.

QuasarMind
04-28-16, 08:01 PM
Since vyvanse kinda works once it reaches the gut, Im surprised that not eating helps you. As far as fluids go what you are doing is very unhealthy.

To me, that is like saying, since you drive a car on the road, I don't see how heavy traffic doesn't help you.

As far as the fluid, you are probably onto something, but if you have maintain consistent hydration during the rest of the day and from day to day, it might not be that big of a deal. Remember humans haven't always had running water, we lived millions of years and traveled millions of miles on foot without easy water access. If your schedule includes anything athletic it would be more pronounced than a normal 9-5 person though.

sarahsweets
04-29-16, 04:22 AM
To me, that is like saying, since you drive a car on the road, I don't see how heavy traffic doesn't help you.

As far as the fluid, you are probably onto something, but if you have maintain consistent hydration during the rest of the day and from day to day, it might not be that big of a deal. Remember humans haven't always had running water, we lived millions of years and traveled millions of miles on foot without easy water access. If your schedule includes anything athletic it would be more pronounced than a normal 9-5 person though.

Not sure about that analogy because driving a car isnt dependent on traffic whereas vyvanse is at the very least dependent on the medication breaking down enough to get absorbed. I know that this isnt entirely based on digestion, like if you dont eat it wont work, but I do know your body has to do a little work in order for the good stuff to be released. At least ime, eating a little something worked but not necessarily with it. Like, when I was on vyvanse years ago and now with other stimulants the minute I wake up, I brew the coffee and take my meds. I usually dont end up eating for about an hour so its not a long time between eating and the meds, but it is some time. I guess everybody is different.
I do not like vyvanse, in fact I dislike it so much you could say Im biased against it, so maybe that colors my thoughts on it too much.

Meteodan
04-29-16, 11:51 AM
For about a year and a half, I was on 40 and then 50 mg on Vyvanse, and for the first several months, it lasted through most of the day. Over time, however, the duration of effect began to steadily decrease, until it finally went down to 6 hours or less (wore off about noon), and I was starting to crash pretty hard afterwards. Not only that, but during the mid-to-late morning, I would feel nervous and irritable.

The solution (at least so far) to the duration problem was to go to a twice a day dosing schedule (one in the morning, and the other around noon). The solution to the side effects of nervousness and irritability was to reduce the individual dose to 30 mg. (I had also added 1 mg of Intuniv, which helps smooth out things as well). Fortunately, my insurance didn't have any problem with going to twice a day; like you, my psychiatrist was worried that they would, but it turned out not to be an issue.

Jiberish
04-30-16, 12:26 PM
I had found that taking a higher dose in the morning, and another dose around noon seems to be my cure. Hope this helps. My Dr. is really nice, understanding. Thanks to all for the great input!