View Full Version : Concerta night binging

focusedefforts
04-24-16, 09:10 PM
Hello,
I am 18 and female. Last month I started taking concerta. I am now on 36 mg of concerta+ 10 mg of ritalin in the afternoon. The reason I am posting is I am binging in the middle of the night when the medication wears off. Around midnight/1:00 a.m. I start feeling hungry and eat through out the night until I fall asleep.

Last night I started eating around one in the morning. Through out the course of the night I had a large whey protein shake (400 calories), 2 cups of rice with butter (500 calories) one cup of beans (200 calories), and 2 very large sweet potatoes (400 calories). {I've been tracking what I eat/when on myfitnesspal}. I finally fell asleep around 4 am.

I've gained 10 lbs as a result of this night binging/hunger issue. Because of I ate so much last night, I only had a protein shake today so to avoid gaining more weight. My last dose of concerta is starting to wear off now and I can tell that I'm going to be hungry and want to eat at night again.

Any advice on what I should do/ people who've had similar issues would be really helpful :)

TheFitFatty
04-25-16, 01:19 AM
Not sure where to start with this.

Have you tried going to sleep earlier before your cravings set in?

Are you eating a healthy breakfast before you take your pills (preferably one with some more fruits and vegetables then you're consuming now?)

Why are you having so many carbs and protein shakes? Do you do a lot of exercise? Protein shakes aren't really the best thing to have unless you're doing a lot of weight lifting (even then I don't bother with them and prefer a handful of nuts after the gym).

For me I'm having granola and blueberries for breakfast, I make a spinich/apple/ginger/cucumber/lime & berrie smoothie to drink during the day to make sure I get the nutrients I need, and I eat a balanced dinner (veg and meat). After the gym I sometimes have a handful of nuts. I do sometimes wake up in the night a bit hungry, but I just go back to sleep.

Of course I'm 35 so my metabolism will be slower then yours.

Socaljaxs
04-25-16, 01:48 AM
What are you eating/drinking during the day? If you Post a what you consumed during the day of these night time binges, it may offer more insight into why this occurs . Also, are you hydrated through the day? Exercising as well?

. Because of I ate so much last night, I only had a protein shake today so to avoid gaining more weight. My last dose of concerta is starting to wear off now and I can tell that I'm going to be hungry and want to eat at night again.

that ithis right here is a big culprit to the problem....only having a protein shake to avoid gaining more weight isn't sustainable nor is it healthy.

everyone will have days that include higher calorie food days... however, instead of avoiding food all together the Next day to "balance it out" while it sounds great in theory... It is actually contributing to this problem... It's creating this problem essentially... Instead of avoiding eating and any real food the following day. Try to spend the following day after a night time binge, drinking more water, move a little more during the day and "start fresh and reset"..the Following day after a binge don't avoid food it actually creates a vicious and dangerous cycle as you may be experiencing.. make sure the following day you are eating healthy, well balanced real food and eat throughout the day...

if big meals are an issue eat 5 small meals throughout the day... which should help.. The lack of nutritious food during the day would lead me to believe that this cycle is what is causing this. After a night like that turning around and starving yourself is just adding to this binge eating. Anyone would be starving if they only consumed a protein shake all day. I've found personally that if I eat a small meal every 3-4 hours ...that I've lost more weight overall and function better/sleep better and feel better.

TheFitFatty
04-25-16, 02:06 AM
What are you eating/drinking during the day?

That to. Because what you ate only adds up to only 1500 calories a day, so you should be losing weight on that.

I gained weight in my first month on concerta, but I attribute that to bloating. It's gone away now.

sarahsweets
04-25-16, 05:04 AM
Have you ever been evaluated for an eating disorder?

focusedefforts
04-25-16, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=TheFitFatty;1805262]That to. Because what you ate only adds up to only 1500 calories a day, so you should be losing weight on that.

I also had a 300 calorie protein shake a few hours later that morning

focusedefforts
04-25-16, 01:22 PM
Have you ever been evaluated for an eating disorder?

no. I didn't have this problem prior to a couple of weeks ago when I started taking concerta and not being hungry in the day/ feeling eating at night

TheFitFatty
04-26-16, 01:34 AM
Still only 1800 calories. For most women you'd need to top 2000 per day to start gaining weight.

10 lbs is an awful lot to gain in a month (I didn't even gain that much in a month when I was pregnant) as well so I suggest you bring it up with your doctor.

Socaljaxs
04-26-16, 09:31 PM
no. I didn't have this problem prior to a couple of weeks ago when I started taking concerta and not being hungry in the day/ feeling eating at night you need,to force yourself,to eat through the day. Hungry or not this is why you are binge eating nightly. You're starving yourself. It's a common issue when starting medication, but you need to force yourself to eat. Try small meals throughout the day, it's easier than forcing large meals into your system. Protein shakes unless made with real ingredients isn't going to sustain your hunger long. Try making your own type of protien packed smoothie.. green smoothies for example are very yummy and you can add banana,spinach, kale, and peanut butter Greek yogurt almond milk regular yogurt, milk and any other fruit or vegetable you may have on hand. Way more filling,and nutritious than a powered or chemical version protein shake

Still only 1800 calories. For most women you'd need to top 2000 per day to start gaining weight.

10 lbs is an awful lot to gain in a month (I didn't even gain that much in a month when I was pregnant) as well so I suggest you bring it up with your doctor.

focusedefforts
04-27-16, 05:37 PM
I've started transitioning my times of eating to more in the day than the middle of the night. I am still eating around 2000 calories- not sure if the weight gain has stalled. Hunger at night has become less of an issue but I still get the urge to do it when I feel my medicine wear off because of the habit I have formed. :( Thank you everyone for your help.

focusedefforts
04-27-16, 05:48 PM

My doctor is aware of my weight gain. She weighed me last month and said she was surprised because most people don't have an appetite when taking concerta. But we didn't talk about it much other than that. :/

TheFitFatty
04-28-16, 01:13 AM
My doctor is aware of my weight gain. She weighed me last month and said she was surprised because most people don't have an appetite when taking concerta. But we didn't talk about it much other than that. :/

I suppose you must have a healthy BMI so it's not too much of a concern? If it's a relatively new habit, you should be able to break it. Have you tried going to bed earlier?

focusedefforts
04-29-16, 01:34 AM
I suppose you must have a healthy BMI so it's not too much of a concern? If it's a relatively new habit, you should be able to break it. Have you tried going to bed earlier?

I try but I have a really active mind that keeps me awake at night :(