View Full Version : Brintellix?

cyberd0g
04-26-16, 08:32 AM
Has anyone with ADD found Brintellix tolerable? I could only find negative reports on here. I could never take SSRIs because they made me cloudy and apathetic, yet Brintellix has a reputation for enhancing cognition.

AddAnxiousMe
04-27-16, 11:06 PM
I have no idea about Brintellix for ADD, but my brother took it for depression and had bad effects from it. He said it seemed to work more for anxiety than depression, but it raised his blood pressure to the point he had to go on BP meds. He had previously been on Effexor when he switched to Brintellix. He also said that for the few months he was on it the brain zaps from the Effexor withdrawal never fully went away. So he went off of it and back on Effexor, he was also able to stop the blood pressure meds when he stopped Brintellix. I don't know what's up about that side effect.
Take care :-)

weaselish
05-20-16, 09:41 PM
Only got to take it for about a week because of a positional vertigo problem (never have had that before...this is not a studied side effect and might not have been from the med). Hearing about the blood pressure thing, though, that makes me think maybe they just haven't used it on enough people to know what might happen. I am incredibly, physically afraid to go back on it because I felt so bad (that is aside from coming off of lexapro while tapering to the brintellix and then quitting brintellix entirely as advised by psychiatrist).

There are some downsides: new drug, is very very expensive and not covered by all insurances, and if you look at the studies they did with it I am not too excited about its general effects -- they do a "months until relapse" study to show the efficacy. There were some problems with USA vs. international study groups because the USA people had to take more meds to feel any effect. This is available in the literature that comes with the samples and also online you can see the table of studies and how they fared.

I am female but wow, I WISH erectile dysfunction could be the only symptom I had to deal with from a med. Hah. :( Not to belittle other people's struggles but, man, I just can barely accomplish one thing some days for the last several years.

I hope you can look at those studies. If you are like me and have tried everything already available then I made the decision that it was worthwhile to try it. Am pretty desperate right now though.

Toss4n
09-01-16, 10:37 AM
Has anyone with ADD found Brintellix tolerable? I could only find negative reports on here. I could never take SSRIs because they made me cloudy and apathetic, yet Brintellix has a reputation for enhancing cognition.

Tried it, didn't really seem effective. Would say it is better than most SSRIs in that it doesn't cause the same kind of drowsy feeling. Would personally recommend it over lexapro, but everyone is different so just try it and see what you think. :cool: