View Full Version : Am I chasing a high or finding the right dose?

jeeper541
04-26-16, 01:11 PM
I started out on 1 10mg spansule am and a 5mg ir pm, that worked great for about a month and I got used to it and all was going well. Then I noticed I felt different when I took my doses (less attentive, lower mood, more day dreaming) I told my doctor and she upped me to 2x 10mg ER Am and 2x 5mg ir for the rest of the day.

I started to feel the same way I did the first time I started taking my doses but with much less euphoria which is good, but my mood is back up to normal where I do not feel high but just feel good like I got a good nights rest and my symptoms are being addressed very well again. Which is exactly how I want this medicine to effect me.

I try my best to judge how my dose is handling my symptoms and not how my mood is, but its hard to not to notice that the higher dose seemed to put my mood back to normal or even a little better (With out my pills I am a pretty happy person and usually in a good mood)

I am worried that I may be chasing a high to speak of but to just feel normal not to actually get high, I wanted to stay on a low dose and am wondering if

I am just having a hard time figuring this medicine out but the relief has been great on them, work has improved, I can actually fall asleep at night and enjoy listening to music one again and many more reason.

>>>>Actual questions below

How do you judge if your meds are working or not working?

Anything that helps keep your mood up? I am pretty healthy but do not workout anymore wondering if that might help?

Have you moved up in dosing and found a sweet spot that works for you long term?

Little Nut
04-26-16, 08:12 PM
--SNIP-- >>>>Actual questions below

Anything that helps keep your mood up? I am pretty healthy but do not workout anymore wondering if that might help?

Have you moved up in dosing and found a sweet spot that works for you long term?

1. For me it is how well my major problem areas are being addressed. Focus, recall, satisfaction from completing tasks/upkeep. Not a 100% of the time, but OTOH shouldn't be daily either.

2. Others will have examples along these lines. I am lucky enough that after a while of my ADHD being addressed, my mood improves.

3. Yes. I had the same concerns that you do, but when I hit the proper dose and dosing frequency, it was completely obvious. I was taking 5mg IR QID (every 3 hours). Sometimes the effects would last the whole 3 hours and sometimes not. This issue occurred sometimes between doses and sometimes from one day to the next. After 2 weeks iirc I bumped it to 7.5mg QID. I no longer had "poop-out" before my next dose. I also didn't get a noticeable "kick" with the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th dose of the day. I also didn't get the very noticeable "euphoric kick" like when I take 10mg in a single dose and especially 15mg.

HTH, LN

sarahsweets
04-27-16, 04:19 PM
I try my best to judge how my dose is handling my symptoms and not how my mood is, but its hard to not to notice that the higher dose seemed to put my mood back to normal or even a little better (With out my pills I am a pretty happy person and usually in a good mood)

I am worried that I may be chasing a high to speak of but to just feel normal not to actually get high, I wanted to stay on a low dose and am wondering if

I am just having a hard time figuring this medicine out but the relief has been great on them, work has improved, I can actually fall asleep at night and enjoy listening to music one again and many more reason.

Try and remember that an improving mood and wanting that does not make you an addict. There are studies that are being done on treating treatment resistant depression with stimulants. Are you abusing or misusing them? Taking more than prescribed? If not, then I dont see you as chasing a high.

Symptom management. How many I still have and if they are less of an issue then when off meds, combined with how I feel.

Exercise is great for mood. So is sex and thinking or working towards thinking in a positive way,

I have was on dex spansules for 7 years at 15mg/ twice a day. Then adderall for 3 years at 60mg a day and now back on dex 50mg a day. Once I reached each of those doses they worked very well for years.

Vito, ADDer
04-29-16, 08:36 PM
(With out my pills I am a pretty happy person and usually in a good mood)
That's a good thing, and it's good to remember that it's a "core truth" for you. More on how to use it below.

I am worried that I may be chasing a high to speak of but to just feel normal not to actually get high, I wanted to stay on a low dose and am wondering if I am just having a hard time figuring this medicine out but the relief has been great on them, work has improved, I can actually fall asleep at night and enjoy listening to music one again and many more reason...
OK...so you've definitely established that the meds can work for you. You just need to figure out how to make them work for you consistently.

There are a few things you need to remember. First, I'll echo what sarasweets said. Wanting to feel good does not make you some kind of degenerate hedonist, much less an addict. Just because you can get used to feeling bad, that doesn't mean it's normal or desirable. You don't have to justify wanting to feel good. There's nothing wrong with feeling good if you can do so without harming yourself or others.

You sound like a thoughtful person, so I'm guessing that you'd know if you were harming others. As for harming yourself, you're under a physician's care; if she's competent and you're truthful with her about whatever experimentation it takes to find your correct dosage, you won't harm yourself.

Next, try to remember that dex has been around for nearly a century. It's possible to abuse it, but it is not addictive. You can develop a habit if you just take it mechanically, without thinking, but "not thinking" is very obviously not your problem. Besides, you're taking therapeutic doses. You're nowhere close to the level of consumption that would be considered abusive. In fact, dex is one of the safest medications ever if taken in therapeutic doses.

That means you don't need to be afraid to experiment. But if you're going to do that, then really do it. Tell your doctor that you still haven't found the ideal dosage, and that you want to try different doses. Take detailed notes about how you feel with different doses, and discuss them with her. It's not an unsolvable problem; it's just one that's going to take some more work. It's worth it. YOU'RE worth it.

>>>>Actual questions below

In my experience (I’ve been taking dex since 1999), if you have to ask the question, the meds aren’t working. It might not be the dex itself; it might just be the dosage. In fact it sounds like dex does work for you. You just need to find the sweet spot.

I tried several different medications before I decided on dex, and some others after that. It was clear that dex worked best. Then it took me a while to find the right dosage. That's a fine tuning process. It sounds to me like that's where you are now.

There’s no question that physical exercise (actually, any physical movement in general) helps you keep from getting stuck in a negative mood. It’s a fact.

Other things that work (for me) are music, meditation, good nutrition, and lots of fluids. (I drink lots of tea; all kinds—red tea, black tea, green tea, jasmine tea, oolongs of every description, pu-erh, and some herb teas.) Do whatever works to keep yourself hydrated.

But remember, there’s only so much you can do with your wetware (i.e., the things you put into your body, including meds). It’s just as important to focus on the software. What inputs are you giving yourself? Are you listening to negative people—people who argue, complain a lot, or seldom have something good to say about anyone or anything? Get away from them.

Are you listening to the radio, watching TV, or reading the newspapers? A lot of that is garbage, and you know what the computer guys say about programing: GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

We live in a culture that focuses on negativity. That’s especially true in an election year. My best advice is turn that stuff off. If it doesn’t improve your mental health, you don’t need it.

You mentioned above that your natural state is “a pretty happy person and usually in a good mood.” That’s great! Yet, that isn’t always true, or you wouldn’t have asked about keeping your mood up. Truth be told, keeping your mood up is a skill, just like anything else. If you naturally tend to be in a good mood, you’ve already got a head start. Now you need to refine your software, and learn how to transcend the down moods.

From what I can tell by your post, you’re a thinker. You analyze. I can relate. But a strength taken to excess becomes a weakness. Maybe you’re thinking too much. If so, it might help to learn all you can about how your thinking affects your mood, and your mood affects everything else.

Toward that end, you might find it's helpful to read The Positive Force by Gary Emery, Ph.D. and Pat Emery. The book is out of print, but you can find used copies cheap on Amazon.com. I bought my copy over twenty years ago, and it still helps me when I get reversed, or even just a little off track.

For me, the sweet spot is an average of 5 mg. per two hours, taken as a dosage of 15 mg. every six hours (usually). But it could mean 10 mg. every four hours, 5 mg. every two hours (rarely...it’s hard to remember to take them so often), or even 20 mg. every eight hours. That’s why my prescription is for BOTH 10 mg. and 5 mg. tablets. It gives me the flexibility to adjust the dosage for optimum effectiveness depending on where my focus and motivation are.

Here’s a key point: If I’m not getting the focus and motivation I need, I’m not afraid to boost the dosage. For example, sometimes I take 15 mg. and find that I lose focus after four or five hours. No problem, I just take more. I’m know that I’m not a degenerate drug freak, and my usage is usually pretty stable. But I’m not a machine, and you’re not one either. Your neurochemistry can fluctuate. That’s just a fact of life; if it weren’t, this forum wouldn’t even exist and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

What works for others isn't important. Just keep at it, and you'll find what works for you. That's what really matters.

Sickle
04-30-16, 03:18 AM
There are liver enzymes involved with what dictates one's dose of Dexedrine. It is the CYP enzyme test and your doctor can have that done. I take 1 15 mg Spansule twice/day along with 10-15 mg 3 times/day of immediate release. My dose these days is between 60-80 mg/day. I have a test that shows I metabolize them differently. Some docs will stop at 40 mg/day and others will just go to 60 mg/day.

One person's 15-20 mg/day is another person's 60-90 mg/day. It doesn't make one a drug freak even if you need more. I have gone lower and higher with mine.

That said, I am a health nut and gave up bad habits and started to exercise. I also take B vitamins with methylfolate, coq10, and hemp or flax seed for omega 3s and also n-ac. I make it a point to consume a magnesium that will absorb the most and do the ester C at night with oral rehydration salts too.

I started this when I was 5 years old. I had refused it but I was on 115 mg/day to calm down at 14 y/o and I had no physical issues. My heart is fine etc. I also agree with the above poster, you and your doctor figure out what works for you. Dexedrine is relatively mild on the body so higher doses in tolerant and hyper teens was common.

I tend to be mellow and calm and polite etc. Off them I have a mouth like a truck driver and man do I cause problems. I am passing thorough med labs and my kidneys and all are in great shape. I am also 35 now and I find I may stick to lower amounts soon just in case.

sarahsweets
04-30-16, 03:48 AM
There are liver enzymes involved with what dictates one's dose of Dexedrine. It is the CYP enzyme test and your doctor can have that done.

Ive never heard of this before. How did you find this out? How did your doctor find this out?

jeeper541
05-13-16, 12:18 PM
wow thank you for all the great responses guys! I have actually decided to do 2.5mg every few hours of the day staying under 15mg a day. I have tried this and it seems perfect I get the therapeutic benefit without feeling over stimulated, it really seems like the perfect dose.

I dropped everything for a few days to reset and am waiting for my doctor to give me my new prescription for the lower dose and I think this will be good

Thanks again for all the encouragement I was just letting the pill do all the work and needing more to do so instead off using it a tool and making it work for me....If that makes any sense lol

jeeper541
05-13-16, 12:22 PM
That's a good thing, and it's good to remember that it's a "core truth" for you. More on how to use it below.

OK...so you've definitely established that the meds can work for you. You just need to figure out how to make them work for you consistently.

There are a few things you need to remember. First, I'll echo what sarasweets said. Wanting to feel good does not make you some kind of degenerate hedonist, much less an addict. Just because you can get used to feeling bad, that doesn't mean it's normal or desirable. You don't have to justify wanting to feel good. There's nothing wrong with feeling good if you can do so without harming yourself or others.

You sound like a thoughtful person, so I'm guessing that you'd know if you were harming others. As for harming yourself, you're under a physician's care; if she's competent and you're truthful with her about whatever experimentation it takes to find your correct dosage, you won't harm yourself.

Next, try to remember that dex has been around for nearly a century. It's possible to abuse it, but it is not addictive. You can develop a habit if you just take it mechanically, without thinking, but "not thinking" is very obviously not your problem. Besides, you're taking therapeutic doses. You're nowhere close to the level of consumption that would be considered abusive. In fact, dex is one of the safest medications ever if taken in therapeutic doses.

That means you don't need to be afraid to experiment. But if you're going to do that, then really do it. Tell your doctor that you still haven't found the ideal dosage, and that you want to try different doses. Take detailed notes about how you feel with different doses, and discuss them with her. It's not an unsolvable problem; it's just one that's going to take some more work. It's worth it. YOU'RE worth it.

In my experience (Iíve been taking dex since 1999), if you have to ask the question, the meds arenít working. It might not be the dex itself; it might just be the dosage. In fact it sounds like dex does work for you. You just need to find the sweet spot.

I tried several different medications before I decided on dex, and some others after that. It was clear that dex worked best. Then it took me a while to find the right dosage. That's a fine tuning process. It sounds to me like that's where you are now.

Thereís no question that physical exercise (actually, any physical movement in general) helps you keep from getting stuck in a negative mood. Itís a fact.

Other things that work (for me) are music, meditation, good nutrition, and lots of fluids. (I drink lots of tea; all kindsóred tea, black tea, green tea, jasmine tea, oolongs of every description, pu-erh, and some herb teas.) Do whatever works to keep yourself hydrated.

But remember, thereís only so much you can do with your wetware (i.e., the things you put into your body, including meds). Itís just as important to focus on the software. What inputs are you giving yourself? Are you listening to negative peopleópeople who argue, complain a lot, or seldom have something good to say about anyone or anything? Get away from them.

Are you listening to the radio, watching TV, or reading the newspapers? A lot of that is garbage, and you know what the computer guys say about programing: GIGO - garbage in, garbage out.

We live in a culture that focuses on negativity. Thatís especially true in an election year. My best advice is turn that stuff off. If it doesnít improve your mental health, you donít need it.

You mentioned above that your natural state is ďa pretty happy person and usually in a good mood.Ē Thatís great! Yet, that isnít always true, or you wouldnít have asked about keeping your mood up. Truth be told, keeping your mood up is a skill, just like anything else. If you naturally tend to be in a good mood, youíve already got a head start. Now you need to refine your software, and learn how to transcend the down moods.

From what I can tell by your post, youíre a thinker. You analyze. I can relate. But a strength taken to excess becomes a weakness. Maybe youíre thinking too much. If so, it might help to learn all you can about how your thinking affects your mood, and your mood affects everything else.

Toward that end, you might find it's helpful to read The Positive Force by Gary Emery, Ph.D. and Pat Emery. The book is out of print, but you can find used copies cheap on Amazon.com. I bought my copy over twenty years ago, and it still helps me when I get reversed, or even just a little off track.

For me, the sweet spot is an average of 5 mg. per two hours, taken as a dosage of 15 mg. every six hours (usually). But it could mean 10 mg. every four hours, 5 mg. every two hours (rarely...itís hard to remember to take them so often), or even 20 mg. every eight hours. Thatís why my prescription is for BOTH 10 mg. and 5 mg. tablets. It gives me the flexibility to adjust the dosage for optimum effectiveness depending on where my focus and motivation are.

Hereís a key point: If Iím not getting the focus and motivation I need, Iím not afraid to boost the dosage. For example, sometimes I take 15 mg. and find that I lose focus after four or five hours. No problem, I just take more. Iím know that Iím not a degenerate drug freak, and my usage is usually pretty stable. But Iím not a machine, and youíre not one either. Your neurochemistry can fluctuate. Thatís just a fact of life; if it werenít, this forum wouldnít even exist and we wouldnít be having this conversation.

What works for others isn't important. Just keep at it, and you'll find what works for you. That's what really matters.

Wow thanks for the input! Yes dex works wonders for my symptoms as I decided to take a break and have returned to normal I can see where dex makes a large improvement in my life. I have found a dose that works for me and it is much lower then what I was taking. I am going to take your advice when I start taking it again, more sleep, better nutrition and get back to working out.

jeeper541
05-13-16, 12:26 PM

I am going to look for this book! Thanks